Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applicants with CPLs: No Prob or Red Flag?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westside popo
    replied
    Why would an applicant with a carry license raise a red flag?

I would evaluate every applicant equally for their suitability to as an officer. I'm not going to single out the applicants with a carry license for extra scrutiny. And I'm not going to automatically DQ them for having one.

Leave a comment:

• emtguy89
    replied
    We don't care. Every officer at my agency has one, along with massive gun collections. We don't care if you have a permit. It would be more likely to raise an eyebrow here if you don't have one. I might even feel a little bad for you, imagine having to pay to exercise a basic constitutional and human right. It is in no way a factor, but if I was forced to make it one, I'd say I would worry less about someone with a permit freaking out like an idiot when he encounters a citizen who has a gun.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    That has been my experience also.

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    No problem around here with a weapons permit...................................UNLESS you are driving a Crown Vic

Leave a comment:

• SHU
    replied
    I was in Arizona last week. While in a store waiting to buy some items, half the people in front of me waiting in the line were carrying pistols on their hip. It was clear none of them were law enforcement officers of any kind. Everyone there was much more polite than here in California.
    Last edited by SHU; 07-31-2019, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    replied
    Goof-balls are goof-balls, whether they choose to exercise their Second Amendment rights or not.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. All mentioned were legally carrying.

• KJB
    replied
    Ratatatat Do you know if those armed people you mentioned all legally carrying concealed at the time of those incidents?

I'm thinking that most of the time people carrying on a carry permit are the responsible gun owners and I think it would be a non-issue with most departments. I'm a Fed and I can't recall ever getting asked about having a permit at all. I don't think it came up when I worked WADOC either.

That being said, getting government permission to exercise a right is asinine but that is my opinion and a topic for an entirely different thread.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    In Colorado it's neither here nor there. You can carry a loaded handgun concealed in your vehicle without a permit, open carry of handguns is legal and in some parts of the state common, a long gun loaded as long as the chamber is empty and I probably stop more people with guns on them or in their vehicle than without.

That said, if somebody is exercising their "right" by getting government permission to do so... they're not the problem.

Leave a comment:

• BTDT2
    replied
    Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I should have demanded that he read me my Miranda warnings.
    When a self-checkout is used a tacit admission is within acceptable limits.

Leave a comment:

• LA_Backgrounds
    replied
    A candidate applying for or possessing a CCW is a red flag for many BI's. It's not related to being able to legally carry a concealed weapon. The only question would be "Why do you feel the need to CCW?" So, the underlying issue is really related to finding out if the candidate wants to carry because they are a goofball trying to be cool (maturity issue) or merely exercising the right to carry. That's usually the only issue.

Leave a comment:

• not.in.MY.town
    replied
    Originally posted by BTDT2 View Post

not.in.MY.town, you need one of theses^^^^^^^^
    I should have demanded that he read me my Miranda warnings.

Leave a comment:

• BTDT2
    replied
    Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
    What IS somewhat of an instant red flag for me are applicants who work as security guards. I'm sure there are plenty of security guards that will move on to become good cops...but overall, that group seems to have far more "issues" than other candidates. Oral boards and psych will usually weed them out.

On a side note, my bias towards security guards has just been re-enforced by a recent experience at the local grocery store. I used the self-checkout...and on the way out the door was aggressively accosted by a uniformed, baby-faced store security guard who accused me of shoplifting. I asked him what I supposedly stole, and he told me I failed to scan a tiny sample bag containing a single Tide pod that had been handed out to customers in the back of the store (I have two teenagers, so I figured it would be a nice treat for them...). I informed him that it was a free sample, pointed out where it said "not intended for sale", and even showed him that there was no barcode on it that I could have scanned. But nope, he insisted he had to "detain" me until he could verify with management. Thankfully he wasn't armed because he probably would have held me at gunpoint until his manager got there.

I'm just waiting for his application to come across my desk...

not.in.MY.town, you need one of theses^^^^^^^^
    Last edited by BTDT2; 07-20-2019, 12:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NolaT
    replied
    I also wonder about the security guard types.

We had one in my class that I actually became good friends with, he was a good guy who eventually became a small city chief within the parish that that we were deputies in.

Leave a comment:

• not.in.MY.town
    replied
    What IS somewhat of an instant red flag for me are applicants who work as security guards. I'm sure there are plenty of security guards that will move on to become good cops...but overall, that group seems to have far more "issues" than other candidates. Oral boards and psych will usually weed them out.

On a side note, my bias towards security guards has just been re-enforced by a recent experience at the local grocery store. I used the self-checkout...and on the way out the door was aggressively accosted by a uniformed, baby-faced store security guard who accused me of shoplifting. I asked him what I supposedly stole, and he told me I failed to scan a tiny sample bag containing a single Tide pod that had been handed out to customers in the back of the store (I have two teenagers, so I figured it would be a nice treat for them...). I informed him that it was a free sample, pointed out where it said "not intended for sale", and even showed him that there was no barcode on it that I could have scanned. But nope, he insisted he had to "detain" me until he could verify with management. Thankfully he wasn't armed because he probably would have held me at gunpoint until his manager got there.

I'm just waiting for his application to come across my desk...

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12271 users online. 410 members and 11861 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X