Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please walk me through LEOSA / HR218 for a retiring officer.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please walk me through LEOSA / HR218 for a retiring officer.

I'm considering retiring, and would like to pursue LEOSA ("HR218"), but I don't know where to start.

Do I need to request a LEOSA ID card from my employer when I submit my retirement paperwork?

Is there anything else I need to obtain from my employer?

We're planning to move out of state when I retire- do I need to approach a law enforcement agency in our new state to qualify me, or can I find a civilian firearms instructor at a gun range in that state to qualify me, or what?

Thanks in advance.

These are questions that I most likely would not trust an anonymous internet forum to answer. Much of this will depend on what state you move to. From what I understand, Hawaii is hostile to LEOSA. There is a laundry list of anti-gun states that try and make it as difficult as possible for people to own and possess guns even under LEOSA.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Perhaps an armory or range officer at your department could offer more insight?

I think you have to return to your home agency yearly to qualify but I'm not an expert on the Act.

Comment

Your agency issues an ID card. You qualify in the state where you live, with someone who is authorized to run range quals for officers in that state. That rangemaster issues you a card stating that you qualified. Once your agency issues the retiree ID card, they are out of the loop and have no say in the matter.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

What if the agency-head changes. Do you need a new card?
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
            Your agency issues an ID card. You qualify in the state where you live, with someone who is authorized to run range quals for officers in that state. That rangemaster issues you a card stating that you qualified. Once your agency issues the retiree ID card, they are out of the loop and have no say in the matter.
            Bingo.

That was my understanding of it.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              What if the agency-head changes. Do you need a new card?
              I don’t see anything in 18 USC 926C that requires it. Is someone at our old shop causing a problem? If so, just qualify with someone else.

Here in Florida, I go to a local range. They have a LEOSA qual every month, run by an off-duty rangemaster from the SO. The range doesn’t charge for the range time, but asks that you buy a box of ammo and that you give a few bucks to the rangemaster, as he’s doing it on his own time (off duty, and not a range employee).

When I went last year, of the 13 or 14 who were there to shoot, I was the only who wasn’t from NYPD.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

ateamer, it looks like a significant portion of the answer to my question is contained within 18 USC 926C (d). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post

I don’t see anything in 18 USC 926C that requires it. Is someone at our old shop causing a problem? If so, just qualify with someone else.

Here in Florida, I go to a local range. They have a LEOSA qual every month, run by an off-duty rangemaster from the SO. The range doesn’t charge for the range time, but asks that you buy a box of ammo and that you give a few bucks to the rangemaster, as he’s doing it on his own time (off duty, and not a range employee).

When I went last year, of the 13 or 14 who were there to shoot, I was the only who wasn’t from NYPD.
                  No. No issues, just our old cards. I qualify with my PD anyway since I’m always on vacation at the old timers shoot.

You should wear a loud Hawaiian shirt for the NY guys.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11780 users online. 459 members and 11321 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X