300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another professional courtesy question

Hey guys, I have a question for you. If you are going after a speeder and notice red/blue interior lights come on from the rear as you are catching up to it, would you still attempt to pull over the vehicle?
    Secondly, if the vehicle does pull over, the driver quickly exits, and with a bad attitude makes the remark if i saw the lights, would you still extended professional courtesy?
    For the purpose of this posting, its a unmarked CV, dark tint, and non-exempt license plates.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

yes i would and have, if he gets out of the vehicle he/she is getting back in as quickly as they came out until i can verify who they are. depends on level of attitude. it would take alot

Comment

you cant trust anybody these days

Comment

you can buy cv with full gear on ebay anymore so you never assume that just because they flash some lights that there a real officer hell i would think that another leo would know better than to jump out and start yelling at you considering that you said that he had regular plates and dark tinted windows it could be any one in that car .
        All gave some,,, Some gave all...

Comment

What makes me fell better about people like this is the fact that they are probably hated in their own department. If they are an *** to you, they are probably an *** to everyone.
          In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

Comment

Easy, I'd run the tag. If it's a city/county/whatever tag obviously I wouldn't attempt to pull them over.

I thought I saw someone say something about "What if they're undercover"? Actually I don't think I saw that, but I want to cover it anyway. Something like this wouldn't happen if someone was undercover (and don't let undercover be confused with unmarked/plain clothes.) If someone is truely undercover they'll let you pull them over, and you'll never know they're a cop. Even if you give them a ticket they'll take it no problem, and probably the department they're working for would cover it.

But yeah, hopefully (if you're able to) you're running the plate before you're stopping someone anyway... and if that stuff happens and they don't have government plates they got some splainin to do!

Quick note... even the regular plates that are owned by agencies show up saying so.

Comment

You never know if he is a blue light bandit. I stop him and ID him, and if he's legit, and the traffic offense is minor, he gets a courtesy warning and a "g'day."
              Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

I would be highly suspect about a real cop jumping out of a car and running back on you. I don't believe in writing cops,however professional courtesy is a two way street.
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'd pull him over and as soon as I'm satisfied he's legit, I'd wish him a good day.

If he opens a mouth, I'd tell to shut it and inform him that if he doesn't want to get pulled over, let him run "code 3" from the get go, not just flip on lights when an on-duty marked car is coming up on him.

FWIW, I was once running fast with my lights on (no siren) in my unmarked car. A state trooper came up on me and pulled me over. I exited my car in a manner that wouldn't cause him any concern, ID'ed myself as on duty fed and told him I had to go. No problems.
                  I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Still stop him but don't let him out of the car. If he gets out then I'd back my car up and over the PA order him back in the car. If he's a real cop, and assuming he's not hostile because he's a cop, then he's on his way.
                    If you go on EBAY you can buy CV's with interior lights,spotlights and the cages still intact. It wouldn't be hard for someone to get a hold of one of these and go out and "play cop" to prey on people.
                    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I heard of a recent NJ incident where a LEO did something similar. He failed to identify himself properly and ignored the uniformed officer's commands. He is no longer employed.
                      "Don't mistake my kindness, for weakness"

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                        Quick note... even the regular plates that are owned by agencies show up saying so.
                        Not necessarily, the county (Dade) has quite a few of unmarked cars with tags that come back as "no record found". Or sometimes, they come back to bogus businesses. I've run quite a few prior to stopping them. Sometimes, after you run them, you get a call from the dispatcher via the radio requesting "unit that ran the FL tag of ######, please respond" due to the covert nature of the use of that particular car.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep View Post
                          Still stop him but don't let him out of the car. If he gets out then I'd back my car up and over the PA order him back in the car. If he's a real cop, and assuming he's not hostile because he's a cop, then he's on his way.
                          If you go on EBAY you can buy CV's with interior lights,spotlights and the cages still intact. It wouldn't be hard for someone to get a hold of one of these and go out and "play cop" to prey on people.
                          Hell you can practically buy a marked car on Ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I think j706 put it perfectly...professional courtesy is definately a two way street.

Comment

I had a similar incident occur with me. I was running laser on the freeway when a plain, civilian looking SUV zips past. As I attempt to the stop the vehicle which also had out of state plates, I see red and blues come on
                              I approach the driver, ask for ID etc. and he states I'm a US Marshall w/out producing ID, like I was supposed to know and/or take his word for it. Then when I ask him to produce his creds, he rolls his eyes, and takes a big deep breath like I was inconveniencing him.
                              I did let him go because I never have and never will write another LEO for a traffic violation, but why did he need to be such an @$$ during the whole interaction?
                              Personally I'd rather the person just pull over, instead of flashing their lights for me. If you flash your lights, I'm still going to stop you because I don't know your unmarked car unless your from my jurisdiction, but as long as your legit you'll be on your way ticket free in no time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3608 users online. 226 members and 3382 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X