300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once and For All - Who You Write

Okay, let's all get it said once and for all by pole and end this annoying, hateful subject. Let's see where we all stand, compare and learn.

No nastiness or we can all go home RIGHT NOW!
    I do not write cops, cops families, etc. Period. Not even for DWUI
    20.08%
    I do not write cops, but would write a family member.
    11.48%
    I would write a cop for a DWUI or serious violation, but nthat's all.
    36.48%
    I would normally only write a cop if he had an attitude
    14.75%
    I would normally only write a cop if my supervisor / press / public was watching
    2.05%
    I would write a cop from another agency only.
    0.00%
    I would write a cop but would feel badly about it,
    0.82%
    Cops have no automatic immunity with me. I use all factors to decide my actions.
    12.70%
    I would write a cop quicker because he/she knows better
    0.41%
    Write 'm all and let God sort it out.
    1.23%
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Attitudes and serious violations get writ. Period.

Comment

Oh no, not again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      retired, NOT retarded

Comment

Goodtimes!
        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

When the perverbial hits the fan and it is my job or his..........he is on the losing end! Period..........no doubt about it!!!
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I don't write my brothers and sisters on the job. I extends the same courtesy to their family. I do not and will not cite a fellow officer. It would have to be a far stretched scenario for me to take action on another officer. I guess like SgtCHP says if it comes down to my pension or theirs, then well it's gotta be me. Let me be clear this would be a serious situation and I would do all I could to save both are butts. On a side note this is scary I actually agree with a statement made by a boss i.e. SGT. What can I say I am not a bosses boy PFL baby!
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I do all I can to avoid writing a brother/sister officer. If a third party is involved, they are in a collision, etc...may not be avoidable.

If I know for certain they are family, I may be inclined to issue a warning if the offence is minor, but generally they are fair game. Same goes for other "emergency service" workers unless I know them personally.

Comment

Like most of us I do not write cops tickets. I have drove them home after stopping very drunk officers. I will try and go that extra yard for a fellow officer. However, sometime you do what you have to do, it depends on the circumstances.
                Live everyday as if it is your Last! Because someday you will be right.

Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                  Once and For All - Who You Write

Okay, let's all get it said once and for all by pole and end this annoying, hateful subject. Let's see where we all stand, compare and learn.

No nastiness or we can all go home RIGHT NOW!
                  A noble quest! You'll never end it though.

1) I do not write cops, cops families, etc. Period. Not even for DWUI

2) I do not write cops, but would write a family member.

3) I would write a cop for a DWUI or serious violation, but nthat's all.

4) I would normally only write a cop if he had an attitude

5) I would normally only write a cop if my supervisor / press / public was watching

6) I would write a cop from another agency only.

7) I would write a cop but would feel badly about it,

8) Cops have no automatic immunity with me. I use all factors to decide my actions.

9) I would write a cop quicker because he/she knows better

10) Write 'm all and let God sort it out.
                  OK ... I voted once and then noticed that 82 votes were cast, by 75 posters, so that some voted multiple choices.
                  So enlighten me please ...
                  ... which two answers are able to co-exist in the posters mind simultaneously without being "wishy-washy" ?

It would appear then that we maybe have a few supervisor types voting.

Anyway ...
                  ... I made my choice, once, and I'll stand by it.

(Just doing my part and keeping it all fun 10-42.)

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM.
                  "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

My Approach

"Write" is pretty vague. We can "write" for felonies.

I agree with the notion that "professional courtesy" is a two-way street. Afterall, it was not I that violated the law -- though I am reasonable enough to acknowledge that I have violated the law more than once in my lifetime. With that said, I don't believe in embarrassing or making examples out of my backup/peers, or someone who trains and works to save lives... including my own.

Please keep in mind that our states place the same violations of law in different categories from state-to-state. In my state, here is how I break things down:

Traffic Infractions (violation that can be settled by paying a waiver fee)
                    I do not write or warn cops for traffic infractions--regardless of things like attitude. I do not write trauma nurses or docs, active military, medics, and hosebeaters for traffic infractions... barring true Alpha Hotels. Cop's immediate family? No ticket, but no problem warning.

I have no problem giving warnings (when appropriate) to the rest of the motoring public, either, with two exceptions:
                    - Cutting off trains (passengers or young kids might make me bump it to a misdemeanor)
                    - Blowing by police/fire/EMS vehicles
                    I have no desire to see any more train collisions or emergency vehicle collisions. These infractions always pose these risks, and I have little patience for either.

Civil Offenses (violation requiring court appearance, no possibility of jail time)
                    Pretty much same as first paragraph above..

Misdemeanors, including traffic-related crimes (DUI/DWI/OUI) (less than 1 year sentence possible)
                    Cops will get my maximum consideration and tact, taking into account victims, witnesses, property damage, court orders, etc. The other servants above get some enhanced consideration as far as jailed/bailed/released/summonsed/warned only.

Felonies (more than 1 year sentence possible)
                    Not sure I have too much sympathy for any felon... most will get treated the same. How things go down will depend on the felony itself more than the person's occupation or relationships. Any reasonable tact and consideration would be extended to cops, in my opinion.

That's how I roll. Your mileage may vary.

PS - It's POLL. A pole is what the chicks at gentlemen's clubs get intimate with... you can interpret that a couple of ways.
                    Last edited by Resq14; 07-17-2007, 02:22 AM.
                    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

But which way did you vote t150 you didn't say brother?

Comment

And how many of you who voted for the first option would, in reality, let a fellow officer off for a DUI?

Comment

WOW, resq14! How do you keep all of those exceptions, exemptions and professions straight? And which violations? When? Wow!

Seems like some poor ol grocery clerk is out of luck! Or a school teacher, bus driver, janitor, short order cook, air traffic controller, fighter pilot, and on and on and on. Is it about just life saving professions? Is that it?

Do you remember an oath to give impartial service, bro? Just curious.

Not arguing your call to excercise a little corruption from time to time and give a brother or sister a slide when and where you want to, but does all of this criteria really come in to play each and every time?

Why not just say, "I write whomever I want to" and be done with it!
                          Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 07-20-2007, 12:57 PM.
                          The All New
                          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
                            A noble quest! You'll never end it though.

OK ... I voted once and then noticed that 82 votes were cast, by 75 posters, so that some voted multiple choices.
                            So enlighten me please ...
                            ... which two answers are able to co-exist in the posters mind simultaneously without being "wishy-washy" ?

It would appear then that we maybe have a few supervisor types voting.

Anyway ...
                            ... I made my choice, once, and I'll stand by it.

(Just doing my part and keeping it all fun 10-42.)

And oh my, what fun it is!
                            The All New
                            - M1Garand

Comment

Originally posted by Jyn View Post
                              And how many of you who voted for the first option would, in reality, let a fellow officer off for a DUI?
                              I have, and will again if the situation arises. Been a cop for over 11 years and only had to assist one fellow officer home. I would do it again in a heartbeat though!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6550 users online. 359 members and 6191 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X