300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will - Final Orders

Hired, and about to be sworn in next week... Has anyone created a will or final type wishes for a job related injury such as winding up in a vegetative state or with an extreme disability to where you cannot live your own life, make decisions for yourself, or are not aware of your surroundings?
    Last edited by 9Ball; 06-05-2019, 06:55 PM.

I know of very few folks who do not have an Advance Healthcare Directive, but then again, I'm an old guy.

My state (California) makes a fill in the blanks form available free of charge to any state resident who wants one.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...m-fillable.pdf

It's a good idea to have one to eliminate any infighting among friends and relatives as to what you would have wanted, to keep someone from substituting their wishes for your own, or to relieve the squeamish from having to make a decision they might otherwise be unable or incapable of making. .
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Wills and Advanced Healthcare Directives are a duty we owe our families. They should be properly drawn up, signed, witnessed, and filed where they can be found after 5 PM and on weekends.

Comment

As a reminder, wills need to be kept up to date. I did my will seven years ago. Since then, two of the three main heirs have died and I need to seriously rethink who my stuff should go to.

Comment

Yup I have one. I specifically outlined which politicians I wanted banned from my LODD.

Comment

So what type of information do you have for your care if you are injured and in a vegetative or minimally conscious state? I know conscious or not I would not enjoy that type of life and my family wouldn't either, is this something that you cover in that?

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              As a reminder, wills need to be kept up to date. I did my will seven years ago. Since then, two of the three main heirs have died and I need to seriously rethink who my stuff should go to.
              Me.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by 9Ball View Post
                So what type of information do you have for your care if you are injured and in a vegetative or minimally conscious state? I know conscious or not I would not enjoy that type of life and my family wouldn't either, is this something that you cover in that?
                Most people indicate either that:

You do not want your life to be prolonged if (1) you have an incurable and irreversible condition that will result in your death within a relatively short time, (2) you become unconscious and, to a reasonable degree of medical certainty, you will not regain consciousness, or (3) the likely risks and burdens of treatment would outweigh the expected benefits, OR

You want your life to be prolonged as long as possible within the limits of generally accepted health care standards.

You can also direct that treatment for alleviation of pain or discomfort be provided at all times, even if it hastens your death.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Me.
                  Naahhh. You're making too much money from franchising shine boxes.

Comment

Damn! Well...gotta try!
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Hired, and about to be sworn in next week... Has anyone created a will or final type wishes for a job related injury such as winding up in a vegetative state or with an extreme disability to where you cannot live your own life, make decisions for yourself, or are not aware of your surroundings?
                      You seem to be asking specifically about conditions stemming from a LOD injury. However, your advance directive/living will should extend to non-duty injuries and illnesses as well. I realize that many new officers confront the possibility of their death or a debilitating injury for the first time, but in reality it can happen to anybody at any time for any number of reasons.

Your profile indicates that you're in Florida. Here's a link to some state-specific info and forms:

https://www.everplans.com/sites/defa...ctive_Form.pdf

Comment

Yes I was focused more on LOD, but I agree non-duty is something I should be concerned with as well. Great link, appreciate the help guys got me going in the right direction!

Comment

Me.
                          Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Naahhh. You're making too much money from franchising shine boxes.
                          Damn! Well...gotta try!

I am taking everything with me
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Get with your state Concerns of Police Survivors chapter.

Last I knew they had a lot of information on planning.

A number of years ago I was assigned by my agency to a committee setting up a peer support policy . We used a number of forms provided by COPS...........one of the best is a PDF linked below that is on the COPS site At the time it was recommended that the form be filled out, placed in a large baggie and put in your freezer. (freezers usually survive fires, floods and tornados

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...cial_diary.pdf

Last edited by Iowa #1603; 06-07-2019, 06:49 AM.
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Good idea; having said that, my better-half and I HAVE TO re-do ours...since the last time was about 37 years ago!
                              So, do as I suggest, not as I procrastinate.
                              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9827 users online. 464 members and 9363 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X