300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• officer safety or did I do wrong?

I need reassurance or insight from some experienced officers please. I had a family dispute where we had a person in custody in the back of the car. The father of the prisoner comes up to the passenger side of the car window and leans on the door to talk to my sargent. (Keep in mind this is a family disturbance, and anger is already in place) Suddenly, I hear the father threatening the daughter (who is in custody in the back seat) with swearing out warrants for other things she has done and his voice is getting louder and more agrivated, then he reaches inside the car where my Sgt is sitting and is pointing at her. I ask him to step away from the car at that point very politely. Next thing you know he is swearing at me and yelling at me. Now this guy had tripple bypass surgery this past saturday, which is why he was leaning on the door. But he is calling me every name in the book. Finally I got fed up and threatened to arrest him on obstruction or delaying my investigation. ( Now I live in a small place and Im not putting a guy like that in our jail with that kinda medical problems, I would be out of a job). But he continues on and on and tells me he will have my job and call the sheriff on me. Now did I do anything wrong here? I saw him get more agrivated in an already tense situation and asked him to step back! Thats it, you would have thought I cussed him and treated him like a dog. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks all.
    Susupect Suspect..I have a trianed K9 come out come out or you will be bitten.

Originally posted by sarpup View Post
    I need reassurance or insight from some experienced officers please. I had a family dispute where we had a person in custody in the back of the car. The father of the prisoner comes up to the passenger side of the car window and leans on the door to talk to my sargent. (Keep in mind this is a family disturbance, and anger is already in place) Suddenly, I hear the father threatening the daughter (who is in custody in the back seat) with swearing out warrants for other things she has done and his voice is getting louder and more agrivated, then he reaches inside the car where my Sgt is sitting and is pointing at her. I ask him to step away from the car at that point very politely. Next thing you know he is swearing at me and yelling at me. Now this guy had tripple bypass surgery this past saturday, which is why he was leaning on the door. But he is calling me every name in the book. Finally I got fed up and threatened to arrest him on obstruction or delaying my investigation. ( Now I live in a small place and Im not putting a guy like that in our jail with that kinda medical problems, I would be out of a job). But he continues on and on and tells me he will have my job and call the sheriff on me. Now did I do anything wrong here? I saw him get more agrivated in an already tense situation and asked him to step back! Thats it, you would have thought I cussed him and treated him like a dog. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks all.
    Why not let the Sgt. handle the guy? In any event, let those things run off of your back, it won't be the last time you hear that.
    Retired

Comment

yea i guess in retro I probably just should have let my Sgt do something if he felt his safety was in jeopardy, and I know people will be like that, but did I do wrong I guess is what I wanted to know.

Comment

I'll have your job

Man if I had a dollar for every time I heard I'll have your job. Get tired of hearing that, not to mention the whole you are pulling me over b/c Im black thing.

Something I noticed doesn't matter who they are rich. poor, black or white, people like to ascert some type of power. If they can threaten a LEO or at least yell and scream it makes them feel powerful. Anyone else noticed that?

It's always the ones that claim to know the law and say you never read me my rights, I want an attorney, or my favorite officer I have a degree in Criminal Justice.

I know it's off topic but your story just brought up a few bad memeories.
        Annoy a liberal use facts and logic

Liberalism, when hating America just isn't enough

Liberals, destroying freedom one Bill at a time

Obama the Change we can't afford

Comment

Originally posted by sarpup View Post
          but did I do wrong I guess is what I wanted to know.
          In your scenario, you knew you had no intention of arresting the old guy, but threatened to do it anyway. Making a threat to arrest someone, then not doing it, makes you appear somewhat rookie-ish. Either do it, or don't do it, but never "threaten" simply for intimidation purposes.

A domestic where someone has been hooked, can be a very volatile situation. If this played out the way you say, your Sgt. was to blame. He should have either moved further away, or transported the prisoner. It's rarely a good idea to allow a family member of an in custody to approach your unit...Sam should have known better
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

To answer your question, no I don't think you did anything wrong. Mighta stepped on Sarge's toes a little, but depends on who's call it is. He may have been waiting for you to take charge. Go talk to him. I mean that. We can give you our opinion, but the one that really matters is that of your bosses and coworkers.

Comment

Sorry about that, I guess becuase Im kinda new to LE Im not used to it yet. I suppose if I let it worry me then he wins. I did what I thought was right at the time to ensure our safety and keep the incident from escalating, I never touched him and I simply smiled and did my job. Not much more I could have done I guess.

Comment

ex, your right and I know better, actually I had every intention of hooking him up, I just wanted my Sgt.'s ok to take him in custody given his medical condition. If i was wrong for hooking him up I would have dealt with it, but I thought medical condition or not he was wrong and in violation of the statute and making our job more dangerous and difficult.

Comment

No one except another deputy/officer comes within 20 feet of my car when still on scene when there is a prisoner in back.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Maybe that the Sgt. was just waiting to see how you would handle it, maybe he was just more tollerant. Maybe he was more cognizant ofthe man's recent surgery, maybe he never felt endangered.

But ... when the man starts swearing and reaching inthe car, it's then time to start up with the window and get out of the car and lead him away from the car. A prisoner is a responsability.

I probably wouldn't have arrested the man under what you describe, probably try to calm him in the hopes that I don't have a life and death situation in a few moments when he collapses.

Same time, I don't take kindly to being cursed out.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I don't know if your Sgt has a particularly long fuse, was letting the guy vent and gave him some extra leeway because of his medical condition, or was wanting to "test the rook" and see if you'd step in.

Usually, if someone is in a discussion/confrontation with another officer (assuming that the other officer isn't trying to do something else and the loudmouth isn't trying to disrupt that), I'll take my lead from that officer. I try to let other officers deal with people how they want to, even if I'd do it differently (which, admittedly, can be tough sometimes). That's something that is very valuable to learn...how other officers conduct themselves. After awhile on a shift with the same officers, you tend to get a feeling for how particular officers deal with situations and people. It will get to the point where you know how the other officers will react with very minimal communication.

Personally, I'd say that the only mistake you made was threatening to arrest him without intending to back it up. If you mae the threat, be prepaired to follow through with it. If you don't you could get a reputation as blowhard..."all talk and no walk"...on the street. That will make your job just that much tougher.
                      Last edited by Bing_Oh; 05-02-2007, 03:52 AM.
                      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

A well placed threat can go a long way as long as your have the ability to follow through. The ability to follow through was there, the county usually has a nurse or medical staff on hand. Our hospital has a number of secure rooms. Acting a fool a week after triple bypass surgery can land you in the pokey.

Making threats with on ability to follow through is bad. You didnt do that.

I think you did fine.

I would have locked his tired butt up for an hour and set his bond at what he had in his pocket on a disturbing the peace charge.
                        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

You didn't do anything wrong persay, but like the others have said don't threaten arrest, do it or don't. Learning to talk to people in a way that will get them to do no matter what you want is difficult. I've seen LEO's that can walk into a full out bar fight and with a few words everyone stops and things are under control, I've also seen LEO's that could make the pope made enough to assault us.

Remember the old saying "don't let your mouth write checks your butt can't cash".
                          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
                            . Making a threat to arrest someone, then not doing it, makes you appear somewhat rookie-ish. Either do it, or don't do it, but never "threaten" simply for intimidation purposes.
                            So you've never threatened anyone with getting locked up as a threat? I gotta say there is always a time and place for it and there's nothing wrong with it. But maybe I'm not understanding your point. ?

A domestic where someone has been hooked, can be a very volatile situation. If this played out the way you say, your Sgt. was to blame. He should have either moved further away, or transported the prisoner. It's rarely a good idea to allow a family member of an in custody to approach your unit...Sam should have known better
                            Don't let them talk to your prisoner- ever. You don't know if they're hiding a gun or knife and intend to kill them or even you. Once you got someone in custody that's it- if somehting needs to be said play the go between
                            "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
                              You didn't do anything wrong persay, but like the others have said don't threaten arrest, do it or don't..
                              Why not use ever tool at your disposal to get the turd to do the right thing.

Just because I can arrest doesnt mean I have to arrest. If I say "I am going to lock you up if you dont leave" and I have enough to actually follow through and the guy leaves did I not accomplish my goal?
                              It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4771 users online. 255 members and 4516 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X