300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
    CCC SD, L-1, SHU, and Iowa #1603, can I ask you to describe your experiences? How did the process go for you?
    I filed for regular retirement pending approval of disability retirement, to be effective the first day after my 4800 time (workers comp leave) ran out. My service ended on that date and they had to pay me off for all my unused leave credit, which was a considerable amount. It takes about three months for a regular retirement to be processed, so I lived off the money from my leave credit payoff until retirement kicked in. When it did kick in, it was retroactive to when I filed, so I got several months back pension checks. Due to a screw up, it took well over a year for my disability to be approved. When that occurred they sent me an amended 1099 and I filed amended tax returns because in my state, disability retirement is 50% tax free. That resulted in several large tax refunds.

Some officers try to milk it out for as long as they can, burning vacation, PTO, etc, after their workers comp pay runs out in the hope that doing so will somehow enhance their pension for each month they stay, or because they can't let go of the job, or hope some medical miracle will occur, or because they don't know what to do and don't want to ask. Usually, pensions are only retroactive to the 1st day of the month in which you file, so you lose money by dragging it out as each month's lost pension is $ greater than how much your pension will be incrementally enhanced by staying an extra month. Unless your union contract says otherwise, most states require your employer to pay you off for unused leave credits when you separate, so you file for retirement when your workers comp ends, use your leave credit payoff to live on while you wait for your pension to be approved and then receive retroactive pension checks when it's processed. It sounds like you've run out of workers comp leave, have burned your leave credits, and now have nothing to live on while waiting for your pension to be approved (if you ever get around to filing for it).

Again, as CCCSD said, you are in over your head. The great path to glory you think you are following is really the road to bankruptcy court. Please, please, please find yourself a good workers comp attorney. You can't afford not to,

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I retired under normal circumstances
      Copy dat...

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

I filed for regular retirement pending approval of disability retirement, to be effective the first day after my 4800 time (workers comp leave) ran out. My service ended on that date and they had to pay me off for all my unused leave credit, which was a considerable amount. It takes about three months for a regular retirement to be processed, so I lived off the money from my leave credit payoff until retirement kicked in. When it did kick in, it was retroactive to when I filed, so I got several months back pension checks. Due to a screw up, it took well over a year for my disability to be approved. When that occurred they sent me an amended 1099 and I filed amended tax returns because in my state, disability retirement is 50% tax free. That resulted in several large tax refunds.

Some officers try to milk it out for as long as they can, burning vacation, PTO, etc, after their workers comp pay runs out in the hope that doing so will somehow enhance their pension for each month they stay, or because they can't let go of the job, or hope some medical miracle will occur, or because they don't know what to do and don't want to ask. Usually, pensions are only retroactive to the 1st day of the month in which you file, so you lose money by dragging it out as each month's lost pension is $ greater than how much your pension will be incrementally enhanced by staying an extra month. Unless your union contract says otherwise, most states require your employer to pay you off for unused leave credits when you separate, so you file for retirement when your workers comp ends, use your leave credit payoff to live on while you wait for your pension to be approved and then receive retroactive pension checks when it's processed. It sounds like you've run out of workers comp leave, have burned your leave credits, and now have nothing to live on while waiting for your pension to be approved (if you ever get around to filing for it).
        I appreciate you sharing.

Our retirement system website says that we should have our first pension check a month after we retire. And since my final paycheck would come in the middle of that month, there would actually be no gap as far as checks coming in.

That said, they will cash me out on my unused vacation time, and we do plan to have that available as a financial buffer, in case we need it.

Again, as CCCSD said, you are in over your head.
        I understand that.

The great path to glory you think you are following is really the road to bankruptcy court.
        I don't know what "great path to glory" you are talking about, nor do I know why you're mentioning bankruptcy court.

Please, please, please find yourself a good workers comp attorney. You can't afford not to,
        I got it. Thank you.

Comment

L-1, my medical retirement is 100% untaxed.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6359 users online. 449 members and 5910 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X