300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet proof vest......

So I got this problem, I got some used armor. Lt pointed to the stack of them in the closet, and said pick one that fits, and I did. The problem I'm having is that from about the middle of the vest down it curves out, making it look like I got a beer gut, and at 24 yoa, I shouldn't and don't have one, anybody know of a of way fixing it?

It's driving me nuts, and I like to look sharp...so.....that isn't helping.
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

HAHAHA. It just means that it was an older model vest. My first vest (and I am a very slim officer, very "Lean") did the same thing. It seemed to pool at the bottom. And no matter how much I tried to redistribute the kevlar, it returned to its odd shape. The last two vests that I've had (one, which was recalled) didn't have that problem. I believe that you have an older model vest, before they made slight modifications and improvements. I suggest you look at the date of manufacture. Most vests are not made to last over 5 years due to wear and tear, heat, sweating, etc. I might even suggest you fork out the $$$ to purchase one on your own.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

yes purchase your own. spend the money , it's worth it. vests have a shelf like i believe of like 3 years? 5 years? i dunno. so yours might be too old. plus if you get a new one, the people can actually fit it or customize it to fit you. there's a certain way it's supposed to go on.

Comment

If you buy your own, about once a week take the panels out and roll them inward to keep them from folding out. You can try this with the old vest and see if it works.
        A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Any suggestion on what type of vest to buy? level II or level IIIa what is the real weight diffrence between the two.
          "If you want forgiveness go get some religion"

Comment

i've worn both and can't really tell the difference. might as well get the highest, level 3A... which does offere better protections. don't cheap out on vests. spend some money on a good quality one. maybe Xtreme body armor.. i've tried both xtreme body (3A) and PACA (level 2) and i cannot tell the different.

Comment

Originally posted by jmorill View Post
              Any suggestion on what type of vest to buy? level II or level IIIa
              Body armor isn't the area of police equipment one should skimp. Spend the most money you can, on a good quality vest. I would personally go with the ABA, threat level IIIa...

http://www.americanbodyarmor.com/
              "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Our department gives us new ones every 5 yrs. I do know A guy who had this problem, and he would wrap an ace bandage around his vest after he put it on. He said it helped him. Also, you sound like you are really proud of your body and look. That is good. But you should not use the words "real fat ***" when you talk about other officers. I carry some extra weight, I am not a sea horse by any means, but I don't have a swimmers body either. And let me tell you, when you are getting your *** kicked, fat or skinny, you don't care what the guy looks like that helps you, you just want help. Good luck with your vest, and be careful. J-Bo.

Comment

Originally posted by ask80 View Post
                  i've worn both and can't really tell the difference. might as well get the highest, level 3A... which does offere better protections. don't cheap out on vests. spend some money on a good quality one. maybe Xtreme body armor.. i've tried both xtreme body (3A) and PACA (level 2) and i cannot tell the different.

I had an Xtreme vest as well, and now wear a PACA. The extreme carriers suck ***. And they are very expensive to replace. I had to buy two as the velcro wore out and wouldn't hold closed. The PACA I have now is the best fitting, most comfortable one yet.

Get the highest threat level! Why mess around?

Comment

Originally posted by D.o.D cop View Post
                    So I got this problem, I got some used armor. Lt pointed to the stack of them in the closet, and said pick one that fits, and I did. The problem I'm having is that from about the middle of the vest down it curves out, making it look like I got a beer gut, and at 24 yoa, I shouldn't and don't have one, anybody know of a of way fixing it?

It's driving me nuts, and I like to look sharp...so.....that isn't helping.
                    You can buy PACA and several other vests for as little as $300-use that older vest until you can buy or be issued a new one-take it home ,use soft soap and lite water on the inserts ,towel dry them,then put them under the mattress of your bed to flatten it out when you are off duty.Although most vests have a maufacturers recommended usage life of up to 5 yrs, most modern vests-90s on- have had 80% to 90% stoppages in terms of defeating threats according to their stopping levels.We shot up an old ABA II-A vest issued back to an officer back in '91 , at our range,and left around in storage of no longer issued and surplus old equip.That vest,at 15 yds,took 3 rds of 147 gr JHP -9mm, 2 rds of 230 gr FMJ-45 cal, and 2 rds of 180 gr FMJ-.40 cal. BEFORE it gave up "the ghost"-not bad for a vest that had fallen on the ground behind a shelf, got moldy and been forgotten for about 16 yrs( guess it didn't forget its job !!)
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Until you get a new vest, do as DOA said...also, take the vest carrier to a uniform shop and have them sew on a fat (pun intended!) strip of velcro to the bottom of it to mirror what the other 2 straps do - that should hold in the bottom area. That may help until the new vest arrives. But whatever you do, wear a vest no matter how uncomfortable!!
                      Last edited by IMachU; 04-30-2007, 04:45 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Our department received a grant to buy us all new vests, I ended up with the pointblank vision vest. It's unbelievably comfortable compared to my original which is the same thing you had an old one in the storage room nowhere near my size.

Comment

My vest is doing the same thing, and I don't have much of a beer belly. I take it out of the carrier and lay it flat on the floor when I store it off duty. I can tell by the end of a shift that it is starting to flare out a bit, so I make sure I don't slouch and keep it pulled down. Hopefully my department will give me the custom fit vest (like they promised) soon.
                          I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

I went through the trouble of getting an approval with the chief's office to get a brand new vest fitted for me, and it fits worse than the hand-me-down 10 year old closet vest I had before. Same problem with it flaring upwards, and only going down to my belly button.

Four more years 'til I get a new one again, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Comment

Have you tried to iron it?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6412 users online. 370 members and 6042 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X