300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime Prevention Topics

I've been assigned to my department's Crime Prevention Unit and we're trying to come up with new topics. Now we operate at a Federal Hospital/Building where there's seldom any children. So most of the programs have to be adult oriented, a lot of senior citizens are present cause we have a nursing home too. We're beating identity theft to a pulp as well.

Does anyone have any topics, or access to information that I don't know of. I've been to many Crime Prevention Websites, like NCPC, and all that. However, maybe I'm missing something.

Any info, materials, or words of advise would be greatly appreciated.

You could do "target hardening" classes to get people to secure their cars better, not leave valuable objects in plain view, walk in groups to their cars, etc.

If you can find a Kubaton instructor or get one trained, you could do a short self-defense class and give away the Kubatons with your agency's name engraved on them.

Training on techniques used to obtain confidential information could deter fraud and theft. For instance, "social engineering" ploys involve making a call to someone and pretending to be another staff member, knowing just enough to get them to provide a piece of confidential information. Get enough of this, and you can crack the institution's network yourself. Read Kevin Mitnick's book for some excellent examples of this.

Do something on the model of a citizen's police academy. Get some interested folks to learn about your agency's operations and training, capabilities, methods, etc. These folks generally wind up being your best cheerleaders when others badmouth you.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Not to jump on the band wagon here, but violence in the workplace, school, church, etc., seem to be garnering a lot of attention. Some businesses have started hiring outside consultants to teach their employees how to react should a viloent intruder enter their area. Not a bad idea in this day and time.

Comment

Crime prevention in the workplace such as keeping your valuables locked in a desk/filing cabinet, approaching people who are just wandering around and ask if you can help them (the thieves won't be able to give an exact location they are looking for because they don't have an appointment anywhere), what to do to be a good witness (timely call to police with description, direction of travel, etc.), techniques to calm down hostile customers or employees and when to call the police, being alert while walking to their cars (stand upright, keys in hand, scanning area, eye contact, etc.). Since you mentioned senior citizens, how about something on phone scams and computer scams since seniors may not think as clearly as they should and/or are more trusting and more likely to give out info they shouldn't? Our Attorney General's office has people who will go anywhere in the state and talk about consumer protection laws, so check w/your state AG to see what kind of programs they offer. That's it off the top of my head. Good luck.

Comment

You may already touch on this in your identity theft topics, but if not, you may want to cover things like scams against the elderly, Internet scams, contractor/home improvement fraud, mortgage fraud, advanced fee scams, Nigerian and foreign lottery scams, telemarketing scams, etc…
          Fear not the armed citizen but rather the government that tries to disarm him.

Comment

Yeah pretty much all fraud has been beat to death. We have our State AG's Office, and local U.S. Attorney's Office sending people down and giving these classes often. It's still a good topic to continue using.

I like the concept of Violence in the Workplace, and Auto Theft Prevention. Both of which are topics that would really be of use up here.

Thanks everyone for all topics and info.

Comment

Oh, I just thought of another topic that often becomes a problem for victims. Of course this is after the fact so if prevention did not work, I highly recommend teaching things like having photos of all of you valuables including close ups of expensive jewelry and a list of items with serial numbers including electronics, lawn equipment and firearms
              Fear not the armed citizen but rather the government that tries to disarm him.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5792 users online. 316 members and 5476 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X