X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missmycaprice
    replied
    DetSarg nailed it.
    While on patrol, make a reputation for yourself by being thorough, accurate, and well-written. Failure in any of these areas will cause detectives to mock your reports, and their bosses, who listen to that chatter all day, will be on your oral board later.
    Be aware that when you get to detectives, you will probably be spending a large amount of your time tryting to push a case from "probable cause" to "proof beyond a reasonable doubt", and realize that job is not too glamorous or exciting most of the time.
    Anything you saw on TV about detectives- all lies.

Leave a comment:

• RwHJR3
    replied
    I just made Detective a month ago. I took Advanced Training courses at my local Community College to help out with investigative techniques. As for investigations itself while on the road, I made sure to take that extra step in being extremely in-depth with my reports and basically just going that "extra" mile in doing everything I did, to help put me in front of any other candidates. GOOD LUCK!

Leave a comment:

• Kieth M.
    replied
    And one more thing...and you may wish to work this up, as a part of your oral interview...

When you make detective, and some patrol girl/guy makes a case, for you - by digging a little deeper, working off your tip, or getting a suspect to 'open up', you make sure you write that cop/those cops a commendation, and see that they get the recognition they deserve.

Leave a comment:

• bullseye48
    replied
    Thanks

I want to thank all of you for the great advice on making Detective. I do appreciate all of the responses.

Leave a comment:

• sgttom
    replied
    for most departments, you have enough time to "test" or interview for any upcoming openings. put your memo in and test - show your interest.

in the meantime..

write above average reports (do your best).
    track your reports / cases
    conduct your own follow ups - looks great when your evals mention
    your own follow ups, case closures, etc.
    volunteer to help with a case
    follow up on a case with a detective
    request to go to training (annual training or what not), select those courses
    that will help you get to your goal does not have to be "pure"
    investigative courses but stuff like interview / interrogations, search
    warrants, report writing, crime scene / evidence, property - evidence
    school, etc. - things to help you / you can do as a patrol
    officer but applicable and appealing as a detective.
    put yourself through some training on your own - follow the same
    suggestions as above.

Before your interview:

Stop and talk to the DET. SGT, go get more information on the job, how many briefings, average case load, unit clearance rate, what a new DET would do.

In your interview:

dress to impress (yes, even when they know you). SUIT and TIE (cuz
    this is what you're going to wear as a DET.
    Be a "people person" - highlight brown nosing skills.
    bring a resume (highlight your training).
    copy of your eval(s)
    copy of your "atta-boys" regarding your case work
    You are available for on call / short notice (for those type of cases).

*** make a few copies to leave with each interview panel member ***

Be a FTO (field training officer)... this helps A LOT due to the type of training your receive and they type of training you provide to the recruit, harp on report writing and investigations.

GOOD LUCK!

Leave a comment:

• pyxie
    replied
    I didn't have much of a choice sit and home and wine retire or start learning from the detective bureau how to be a cop cause patrol was no longer an option medically for me after getting shot on the road but I agree that my career as a detective would have started out better if i had more experience on the road and itself besides having a degree which only helped writting my reports.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf Po Po
    replied
    In my humble opinion, I feel that one should serve at LEAST 3-4 years in uniform, on patrol, on the streets, before they are even considered for detectives.

Leave a comment:

• pyxie
    replied
    Originally posted by cblackthorne View Post
    Then you made detective by process #1. It doesn't change the fact that #2 happened. Process #2 has nothing to do with male or female, it represents a specific case that happened at our department. It has to do with someone getting by on appearance and personality instead of professional qualifications.

I dont have anything against female officers. I have worked with many that have been great officers and would make great detectives. I have worked with some people, male and female, that should never have been patrol officers, much less detectives. I dont judge officers based on their gender, but I do judge them based on their performance.

In corporate America, people tend to succeed not based on skill and expertise, but more on personality. Law enforcement shouldn't follow suit, the stakes are far too high for that, but it happens more and more.

Thats why I posted process #2. Its not intended to say women can't be good detectives, but it does illustrate that some individuals can be promoted on personality instead of skill. No one wants to admit it happens, but it does. Ive seen it first hand and the department suffered for it in the long run.

Regards,
    C
    Well I'm glad you clarrified your statement it was a bad stand alone example. Ive personally experienced thoose who should not be in law enforcement and get by on looks and who they know.I think making detective should be earned through performance and In my department we dont get a paise raise just respect long hours call outs and better cars to drive, but Its something to aspire to.

Leave a comment:

• AMT8951
    replied
    In my department becoming detective isn't really a permotion. It's a duty appointment for Patrolmen. There is not a pay raise involved, and there is no civil service test to take.
    As a supervisor, I have to sit in on detective candidate interviews this afternoon. The things our dept looks for in a det canoidate is:
    You must be active, preferably penal law stuff, rather than V&T.
    You must have good attendance.
    You should be able to come in at all sorts of wierd hours.
    You should be intelligent, and well spoken.
    You should be good at preparing written material.
    Hope this helps!

Leave a comment:

• cblackthorne
    replied
    Originally posted by pyxie View Post
    Well I think your a complete idiot for quote number 2 but I personally made detective in exactly a year in my department. All I had to do was make a good reputation, stand up to idiot deputies who make comments like you about women on the force and of course kick *** and get shot saving my partner.
    Then you made detective by process #1. It doesn't change the fact that #2 happened. Process #2 has nothing to do with male or female, it represents a specific case that happened at our department. It has to do with someone getting by on appearance and personality instead of professional qualifications.

I dont have anything against female officers. I have worked with many that have been great officers and would make great detectives. I have worked with some people, male and female, that should never have been patrol officers, much less detectives. I dont judge officers based on their gender, but I do judge them based on their performance.

In corporate America, people tend to succeed not based on skill and expertise, but more on personality. Law enforcement shouldn't follow suit, the stakes are far too high for that, but it happens more and more.

Thats why I posted process #2. Its not intended to say women can't be good detectives, but it does illustrate that some individuals can be promoted on personality instead of skill. No one wants to admit it happens, but it does. Ive seen it first hand and the department suffered for it in the long run.

Regards,
    C
    Last edited by cblackthorne; 05-07-2007, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kieth M.
    replied
    Originally posted by ateamer View Post
    Why not go to the guys who will interview you and ask them what you need to do to make detective?

Make sure your sergeant knows your goal, too.

Offer, whenever possible, to help other guys with their cases, especially the more complex ones. When at a call, instead of taking a transport or scene security, take an interview.

Go to the nitpickiest FTOs and sergeants and ask for honest critiques of your reports. Do the same with the detectives and prosecutors who work off your reports.
    These are all excellent responses...here, in my opinion is why...

1 - As long as there are, currently, no exams/orals for the position in-progress - these are questions that are not a threat to your co-workers who will try for the same position, and do not place the evaluators ina compramising position...they should be able to tell you.

2 - So your sergeant can write evals/commendations/etc. stating that you are already doing work at the "next level."

3 - Learn the phrase "GOYA AKOD", it is an acronym for "get off your...keester...and knock on doors." After an arrest, or a crime (one of your own), re-visit the area, check in with potential witnesses who may have a story to tell, but were not available on the day of the arrest/report. That will usually help nail shut your case...or perhaps exonerate the suspect (Yeah, it's rare, but it shows objectivity).

4 -Good advice for anyone wanting to do better work at any time, whether a promotion is in the works or not.

And a couple of my own...

Learn every info gathering system/criminal database known to LE. Imagine the look on your friends' faces when you uncover the several years old, out-of-state felony warrant for a suspect that has usually had a "revolving door" experience with your local agency.

When one of your cases is being presented to the D/A for filing, ask the detective if you can go along. See how the Det works with the D/A.

Learn interveiwing techniques, crisis negotiation, peer counseling...these activities require "active listening" techniques which require you to master the art of open-ended questions.

Seek training on an advanced field of investigation, great if the agency pays, but if it's available and you have the time and money, go on your own. Make sure there's a certificate of completion/attendance to go in your personnel file.

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    Why not go to the guys who will interview you and ask them what you need to do to make detective? Make sure your sergeant knows your goal, too. Offer, whenever possible, to help other guys with their cases, especially the more complex ones. When at a call, instead of taking a transport or scene security, take an interview. Go to the nitpickiest FTOs and sergeants and ask for honest critiques of your reports. Do the same with the detectives and prosecutors who work off your reports.

Leave a comment:

• pyxie
    replied
    Originally posted by cblackthorne View Post
    In my old department two methods seem to work:

1. Attend alot of training. Perform good investigations while on patrol. Make a good reputation for yourself as an intelligent officer.

2. Be a 5'1" female with a sorority personality (i.e. giggle and laugh alot). Have no knowledge of the city's layout. Wreck a couple of patrol cars (while on probation).

Either one could get you promoted to detective in a couple of years.
    Well I think your a complete idiot for quote number 2 but I personally made detective in exactly a year in my department. All I had to do was make a good reputation, stand up to idiot deputies who make comments like you about women on the force and of course kick *** and get shot saving my partner.

Leave a comment:

• GCPD0171
    replied
    I interviewed and got a Detective position in my agency last year. It was a great experience but it didn't last long. My number came up in a Sgt promotion so back to patrol I went. My advice is make the best of what you have now. If training is not available then learn on your own. Search places like Amazon for books on interview and interrogation and basic investigations. You can sometimes get great deals on used books so they don't cost too much. Next take your investigations on patrol to the next level. Put more work into them showing your bosses and agency Detectives that you are putting in the effort. Talk to your Detectives, ask questions, watch them work when you can. Talk to DAs about the types of evidence you need in court for certain crimes. Basicly be a sponge. In our agency when you interview for Detective they pull a random sampling of your reports. Be prepared to talk about them, good or bad. Remember that now, so all your reports from now on are first rate. Don't take short cuts and don't be afraid to put in some work. Know your search and seizure laws as well as Miranda, Messiah rights.

If you put in the effort it will show, trust me. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks DETSARG.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2848 users online. 179 members and 2669 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X