300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking photos of people detained

Hey all. I wanted to hear from some other departments on your policy and procedure for taking photographs of people you have detained. My former agency never took photos of people we stop for CVC or reasonable suspicion. My current agency however is very active in doing that. The photos end up in our crime analysis bulletins and nothing else.

Last edited by SHU; 07-07-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

They are on video from patrol and they use a handheld device for all tickets and FIs and capture a photo.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Just curious...are agencies still using paper F.I. cards or is it electronic?

Comment

• Kraut0783
          Kraut0783 commented
          Editing a comment
          We do call cards on our MDC, searchable by name, vehicle, address...etc

EXCELLENT source of intelligence material
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

We photograph all suspected gang members and gang-related tats and add them to our internal database. It's been an invaluable resource for our gang task force.

Comment

Our department's stance is basically - If we have a legal right to be somewhere, then we have the ability to take pictures and/or record you. The person is already recorded on my body-worn camera.

The only thing I would personally not do is take pictures of someone on my personal phone. I would stick with department issued cameras/phones.
            Last edited by NWFDeputy17; 03-04-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFDeputy17 View Post
              The only thing I would personally not due to take pictures of someone on my personal phone. I would stick with department issued cameras/phones.
              ^^^^This.

If you're smart, don't even carry a personal phone with you on duty. Your phone, and all its contents, are discoverable in the case you are sued. But they can only discover things that they can tie a nexus to your duty. If your practice is to never have your personal phone on you while working, it is no longer discoverable. The last time I was sued in federal court, this became an issue. Fortunately, the case was dismissed before I had to turn over my phone.
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                If you're smart, don't even carry a personal phone with you on duty. Your phone, and all its contents, are discoverable in the case you are sued. But they can only discover things that they can tie a nexus to your duty. If your practice is to never have your personal phone on you while working, it is no longer discoverable. The last time I was sued in federal court, this became an issue. Fortunately, the case was dismissed before I had to turn over my phone.
                I'm having fun sitting here thinking about the poo-storm that would result from our agency even suggesting officers stop carrying their personal phones on duty.

"But...but...how'm I gonna level-up on Candy Crush?!"

Comment

Get a second phone for work only.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8721 users online. 416 members and 8305 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X