300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Year Objectives on the job...

Every year we have to list three goals/objectives that can be "measured" through performance.

Ie: write up a search warrant.

What were some of YOUR personal objectives/goals/performance standards that you had in your first year on the job?

Im so new at this game that I dont know what to "pick" as my personal objectives for this year. I dont want to list an objective that is over my head that as a rookie I would never complete.

Any personal experiences?

A one year goal is good to start off with, but you should have a personal 3, 5 and 10 year plan mapped out (at least in your head).

Good 1st year goals.

1. Attend at least one training seminar/class (career related).
    2. Have the most arrests for at least one entire shift (on your squad/watch).
    3. Writing a search warrant is good (but more toward the 3 year goal).
    4. Testify in traffic and criminal court at least once each.

Just some thoughts.

scrubb
    “You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm.”

Comment

Thanks..

Originally posted by Softscrubb
      A one year goal is good to start off with, but you should have a personal 3, 5 and 10 year plan mapped out (at least in your head).

Good 1st year goals.

Just some thoughts.

scrubb
      Ive already done numbers 1,4,2. Search warrant! yikes, not usually done by a patrol member--in our dept. done by the vice/CIS/CIU guys...

Good ideas, thanks.

Comment

Make it to the second year.
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Finish Probation
          Not die of Alcohol Poisoning
          Stay married

I made it and I quit drinking after my rookie year.
          It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31
            Finish Probation
            Not die of Alcohol Poisoning
            Stay married

I made it and I quit drinking after my rookie year.
            two out of three aint bad! I've still got a couple of months to go before my first year on my own is over though

Comment

Don't wreck the cruiser while on probation!
              -Stay safe

Comment

Awesome question. I'm still fairly green myself but I've been on the road long enough to at least have a basic understanding of how police work is beyond an academy setting. And with my experience this far, my advice to you is this:

I don't know how tangeable or rather how measurable of a goal this is but I've found that the absolute best thing you can do for yourself is to simply know and understand the law. Not just have a basic idea but truly know AND understand it. It really pays off to know what you can and can't do. I personally believe that we as law enforcement officers have an obligation to ourselves and to every citizen we serve to know our powers and limitations. That way, for example,you're not inadvertantly making illegal searches/arrests/etc BUT you'll be able to do a better job and make more good solid searches and arrests because you'll know exactly what you can and what you can't do. Basically, the law is the foundation of everything we do and if you know it and you understand it, you'll be a better policeman.

I also wanted to remark about the comments regarding making the most arrests. That's fantastic to be motivated and really want to do your job but I have to say that I really don't agree with viewing arrests as a race for numbers. Taking away someone's freedom isn't something you do to fill up a tally sheet. People have died to preserve freedom and we're not here to take it away from people simply because we can. It's sometimes easy to lose sight of that when you deal with the clientelle that we do but you have to remember that every single situation presents its own circumstances and you need to be sure to use your own judgement in each situation (or if you're lost, the lawful advice/direction of a supervisor). Believe me when I tell you, you'll know when you should make an arrest and when you shouldn't. Don't start making bad arrests just to jack up your stats.

As I mentioned above, the bad part for you is that this is not necessarily a measurable goal from an outsider's perspective but the next time your on a call and you know exactly what you can and can't do, you'll be glad you studied the law and you'll know you've accomplished something.

Maybe a goal where you could show measuring this would be to pick one or two incidents each month for six months or a year and do a written after-action review on how you handled it. Look at things that your happy you did, look at things your unhappy you did, and note things that you could have done or that you would do if you had it to do over. You could review laws relating to the situation, and, with that in mind, discuss what you could have done legally if the circumstances warranted. I think this would show your supervisors that you acknowledge that you don't know everything, you're not complacent or lackluster, and that you're truly interested in self-improvement and becomming the best cop you can be. Now, of course, if you totally screw up and don't want to draw attention to it, that's something to keep in mind too. Just use good sense.

Just some friendly advice Good luck and be safe.

Comment

Goals for the rookie

Originally posted by Softscrubb View Post

Good 1st year goals.

Just some thoughts.

scrubb
                  Testify ONCE for each, where do you work?

If you make the most arrest on your squad which should be your goal you should get a chance to testify a great deal traffic or criminal. Do so as often as possible. That is how you get a feel for what will fly in your courts with your judges and you can apply your learned Case Laws as they appear on each case.
                  Pull over as many cars as you can and concentrate on OFFICER SAFETY.
                  Make as many pedestrian contacts as you can both interdiction and just to feel out your community you work in.
                  Keep every Lab request you get back as positive for drugs to show future documentation of EXPERIENCES with narcotics arrest or seizures.
                  HANDLE YOUR PATROL ZONE AS IF YOU CARED ABOUT KEEPING THOSE IN IT SAFE.
                  Write your reports ontime but detailed in the naratives. It will help you in court and help others who may need help with their collataral cases.
                  Go home safe each day or night and keep the negative out of your home away from your family.
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784 View Post
                    Make it to the second year.
                    Right, and still be in good standing with the dept.
                    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

What were some of YOUR personal objectives/goals/performance standards that you had in your first year on the job?
                      1) To not get shot, cut, or otherwise seriously maimed in an arrest.

2) To not get killed in a car wreck or while standing on the side of the roadway.

3) To not get fired over some bimbo.

4) To keep my summons and arrest total under 1000

How'd I do?

1) I did get a cut, with a big a55ed staple, opening up a box of fusees in a hurry one night in the rain on the side of I-95, it was a bad enough cut that I learned a better way of getting the box open without embedding a big a55ed staple in my hand for the next 28 years and counting. Scar's still there.

2) I'm still here, but I did bang up that '78 Plymouth a couple times, but not too bad.

3) I actually skirted that issue by marrying the girl of my dreams whom I met while field training, 2 months short of my first department anniversary. She is still plagued with my pressence.

4) 546 (that was only part of a year now that I recollect on it, seems like first full 12 month period was more like "800-850 something or other").
                      Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 04-27-2007, 05:35 PM. Reason: remembered
                      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

It all depends on what agency you work for.

In alot of places, being the "go-getter" of the shift will make your life difficult. ie-the nail that sticks up will be....

I've been that nail, and it sucks.

The real trick is finding a balance, and keeping everybody happy. I still haven't found it so I'm going to shut up.

Comment

1. Don't needlessly pi55 off your co-workers--let them know they can depend on you when things get rough.

2. Don't embarass your supervisors--get your paperwork done on time and give them a "head's up" if you think there will be a citizen complaint.

3. Soak up as much knowledge as the "old salts" will impart before getting disgusted with the patronizing and obsequious FNG always tagging along..... (Sound like a personal experience, there? It tis....)
                          He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
                          -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                          -- Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by J_Mann View Post
                            Don't wreck the cruiser while on probation!
                            Sh1t: 2 accidents. One minor-pot hole bent rim. 2nd- mediocre- rammed fleeing suspects car (by accident...no really it was an accident) $2700 front end damage to new cruiser.OOPS

Testified in traffic, district, and superior court already.

Search warrants are not usually drawn up by our patrol division

Staying married...hmm. Thats not so bad. But be careful. Its okay to leave out the BS that happens at work and make it sound like peaches and cream to your wife. Because it took mine nearly a year to tell me how scared she was when I went out at night to work and had to stay over (reports) and didnt call at midnight. I was just thinking of not waking her up. She was already awake on and off until I got home at 3am.

Drinking, Ive never really drank that much and still dont. New people on the job sometimes do and go to bars in the city we work in and make an *** of themselves. Not good. Personally, I'm not up for getting smashed at a local bar one night then going back the next working and have to drag as$h0les out of there in cuffs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3203 users online. 149 members and 3054 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X