Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't understand some of y'all's thinking ....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand some of y'all's thinking ....

... but I want my wife and family to obey the traffic laws because I know they work. I know it from working the roads, the wrecks, seeing the fatals and injured, knocking on doors of family at 2 am to bring bad news to a family. I get tired of it too. Most allways it comes from someone violating traffic laws. Poor driving or reckless driving or drunk driving.

I want my family to obey the speed laws and stop signs and lane controls. I want them to be allowing proper following distances, to be signalling intentions to turn or change lanes, to look before pulling into traffic. I want them to be ever watchfull of the rear view mirror and to watch those vehicles waiting to pull out in front, as well as that one wanting to turn left across their path.

Being a trooper, seeing what happens to good folk who make mistakes has done a lot to make a better driver of me. I'm more defensive when driving, even off duty than I once was. I know all to real how easy a momentary lapse of attention can hurt or kill at 65-70 mph. I know how fast a 90+ mph tractor trailer can come up from behind and nail your butt.

I lost my father to illness when I was 15, I think about him every day these 38 years later. I dearly love my mother, my wife, and the rest of my family. My wife makes damn fine scratch biscuits and I want here beside me 20-30 years from now still making them once in a while.

It is pretty frequently that I find myself meeting my wife on one of the roads between home and town. Normally she is slightly under the limit, once in a while she's at the posted limit. I've never seen her roll through a stop sign, she sops and waits for a big clear spot to pull out in. She is one to follow at what I would consider double, as when I ride shotgun and time it to myself, she allows a good 4 seconds.

They have pretty good driving habits ... but if any of you stop my mother, my wife, any of my family for a violation .... you have my blessings to bust their butts with a citation. I'm out of it. Don't call me to tattletale on them as they are grown, I'm not going to fuss at them when they get home or if they call and tell me. I am not going to empathize with them. I'm going to tell them to pay it off and learn from it, it's a cheaper way to learn than that which I see far too often.

Like I said, I want them around for a long while yet. It's not that I worry too much about them. It's reading the tales here of folk in my line of work, that see some of the same things I see, that then want their family to be let off the hook when caught messing up ... that perplexes me.

Do y'all really want youir family driving as if they are somehow immune to the laws and to the consequences of poor driving practices?
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Agreed. Completely. Sometimes my wife tells me to knock of the cop role when I jump her case about speeding. I try and tell her I am playing the loving husband role and not the cop role.

She thinks I am a little too fanatical about safety but at the same time she doesn't realize the mangled, bloody, messed up and dead bodies I see. If she ever gets pulled over and cited by law enforcement there would be absolutely no hard feelings.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

You can justify it to yourself however you want. if that rant works for you then so be it. I think the point is to many cops gun for other cops and write 5 over tickets or not a complete stop tickets. If my wife is going 90 in a 35 by all means cite her or even arrest her if thats your game, but dont look at me at the next FOP meeting and expect a hug.

Do what you want and ill do what I want. Your a trooper. i fully expect you to get all over 5 over the limit tickets. Thats what you do. Your all highway. I am not. A cop beats the crap out of his wife or robs a bank, Ill be the first to cuff him up. Being a cops wife or being a cop isnt a free pass, but it is membership and I dont go around treading on other cops because I can. I expect the same treatment in return.
      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Deleted.......................................
        Last edited by LeanG; 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM. Reason: deleted

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

A ticket doesn't stop someone from breaking the law...
          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
            Do y'all really want youir family driving as if they are somehow immune to the laws and to the consequences of poor driving practices?
            No, but there's a big difference between driving that way and making a mistake or having a momentary lapse. Most of the people we deal with are doing the latter and not what you suggested, and it's pretty obvious which category they fall in within 15 seconds of seeing them.

Drama.....

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31
              You can justify it to yourself however you want. if that rant works for you then so be it.
              Your language suprizes me, Irish! "Justify?" "Rant?" I don't think it's either one; I wonder why you do.
              If my wife is going 90 in a 35 by all means cite her or even arrest her if thats your game, but dont look at me at the next FOP meeting and expect a hug.
              Game? You think it's a game - saving lives? I would think you would be very grateful your wife was stopped if she ran racklesly like this. I know I would be.

Your a trooper. i fully expect you to get all over 5 over the limit tickets. Thats what you do. Your all highway.
              This is ignorance disguised as disrespect. I cannot believe you wrote this!
              A cop beats the crap out of his wife or robs a bank, Ill be the first to cuff him up. Being a cops wife or being a cop isnt a free pass, but it is membership
              In what? Some special club? Some "insiders society?" What?
              Wow! Your really suprizes me, Irish....my image is dashed......
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

My wife got a ticket about a month ago from a State Trooper in Shawnee OkFor going 12 over.She said she was actually in the left lane and was getting passed by other drivers.She thinks she got stopped because she was driving my old Caprice.She said she was getting passed on the interstate by new SUVs and newer cars and then she got stopped.Did I mention she is A Nurse/Paramedic,married to a cop and she is an ex-cop??She told me about it and I said,but you were speeding,stop in while you are coming or going to work at the hospital and pay the ticket.She has a bad habit of speeding and she got caught.I have told her for along time to slow down when she is traveling to and from work in areas that don't know her or me.She finally got caught and did not get a break.I am not worried about it one bit,he did his job!!
                FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

I'll tell you what I don't understand. It's why so many LEO's want to talk about personal policy stuff like professional courtesy on a public forum. No matter what your feelings are on it, I think it's a better discussion to have in real squad rooms, not public internet discussion boards.

Comment

Irishluck, you don't much understand troopers.

I don't look at them at 5 over. I have never, not once in my whole career, not since I started in the later half of the '70s, ever once stopped and/or wrote a driver at 5 over.

Now 90 in a 35!, she's going to be calling someone to go her bail 'cause she ain't coming home with just a cite in hand. Save your speechifying for the judge, your wife will need the support then. And ... I'll agree to not expect a hug or handshake at the next FOP meeting ... as long as you agree to not look for same if it should ever come to pass that I am on your doorstep at 3:15 am, God forbid, with hat in hand and a sad tale to tell.

It wasn't a rant so much as the thoughts of a trooper just winding down from a long shift as he looked over the postings here as he thought of his family safely tucked in bed in the other rooms, and of some other families who were having a horrible night.

Take care all .......
                    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                      Your language suprizes me, Irish! "Justify?" "Rant?" I don't think it's either one; I wonder why you do.

Game? You think it's a game - saving lives? I would think you would be very grateful your wife was stopped if she ran racklesly like this. I know I would be.

This is ignorance disguised as disrespect. I cannot believe you wrote this!

In what? Some special club? Some "insiders society?" What?
                      Wow! Your really suprizes me, Irish....my image is dashed......

Save the drama Troop.

I wasnt trying to be disrespectful to you highway guys. Just pointing out obvious differences. Some things are important to me some are important to you. The word i used were just words, I used them to instagate a laugh, not offend you or damage your delicate ego. Geesh, get over youself.

Ignorance desguised as disrespect? You got me. Through reading words and maybe putting your own meaning to them and making assumptions thats impressive. Its cool, I aint mad at ya.

As far as the Justify and the Rant words, thats what is see when I read the post. A guy who is no rookie that is mad because someone may not agree with his take on why I dont write other cops or their wives. I fully understand wanting to save a life and i agree with the theory of it, but I dont see the point. Sorry, people speed everyday, me writing a cop or his wife or mother isnt going to change that. Could it save a life? maybe and maybe it it might not. You know what I have found through my limited 14 years as a police officer? regardless of the amounts of speeding tickets I write, I still have to write more. Why is writing my mom a ticket that important.

I appologize for "Dashing" you image of me, but Its really not that important. I have plenty of friends. Hopefully you will take all those years of experience you brag so about and see the words as just that, a few word on a forum ment to envoke a bit of laughter and maybe get my point across. If not, oh well I aint here to impress, I am here to read and pass time as I sit on my duff and maybe argue and fuss a bit with people in my career field. If I make a friend or two thats OK if I make a guy or two raving mad, thats OK aswell.
                      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
                        Irishluck, you don't much understand troopers.

Now 90 in a 35!, she's going to be calling someone to go her bail 'cause she ain't coming home with just a cite in hand. Save your speechifying for the judge, your wife will need the support then. And ... I'll agree to not expect a hug or handshake at the next FOP meeting ... as long as you agree to not look for same if it should ever come to pass that I am on your doorstep at 3:15 am, God forbid, with hat in hand and a sad tale to tell.
                        OOOOK.

How bout a big kiss square on the lips if we ever do meet at an FOP meeting.
                        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Wow Irish, you are being ornery today. Try some decaf.
                          Fear not the armed citizen but rather the government that tries to disarm him.

Comment

This subject just cant die can it....

Comment

Originally posted by detsarg
                              Wow Irish, you are being ornery today. Try some decaf.

The mood in here is just sooooo somber. Just trying to lighten it up a bit. Some folks get all angry about a bit of agency ribbing and what not.

Decaf is for sissies.
                              It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5360 users online. 294 members and 5066 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X