300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHU
    started a topic Careers after retirement?

Careers after retirement?

Is anyone planning on what they will do next after retirement? Have you retired in the past few years and started a new profession? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by SHU; 12-18-2018, 04:31 PM. Reason: My tapeworm told me too.

• CompanyMan
    replied
    I'm not close to retiring but I have my own business where I teach concealed carry courses, CPR, first aid, taser, handcuffing, baton, etc...

I teach to individuals and contract out to larger security companies and places like schools, hospitals, etc... to teach their staff. It's easy money and places with nice budgets love hiring people with real law enforcement experience for these types of training.

Leave a comment:

• Kraut0783
    replied
    Just something to think about, the FBI has non-agent Surveillance teams (SSG). There is no age limit, and they like former LEO's, but are not a LEO position. Good gig, TDY...etc.

Leave a comment:

• SHU
    commented on 's reply
    I love the chopped pulled pork barbecue they have in eastern North Carolina. That stuff is fantastic.

• FmrHammerMonkey
    replied
    I want to open a food truck. I live in Buffalo, not by choice mind you, but it happened. Anyway, I am 3/4 of the way done with my career, and bbq has always been my passion since I was kid. There are so few establishments here that do real good smoked bbq like how I had it growing up in North Carolina. Another officer and I are laying the plans now for going into business.

Leave a comment:

• PeteBroccolo
    replied
    2 of the owners of the store I work at (#1 - Apr 2012 to Sep 2014 & #3 - Mar 2018 to date) were / are VFF with the FD here. #3 had been a Constable with a Municipal PS in Ontario for 11+ years before joining this company, and he is currently a member of the Canadian Forces Reserves (13+ years) as a Captain. I enjoyed, and enjoy, working for these 2 turkeys, even despite #3 having 3 black marks on his soul!

Leave a comment:

• hpclayto
    commented on 's reply
    Just depends on what you’re doing. It’s expensive for sure. I’m doing helos, fixed wing is much cheaper but still salty. Getting your private and then commercial licenses is one thing but to actually be qualified for most jobs you’ve gotta have a crapton of hours logged which is where the struggle comes from taking odd jobs and trying to survive.

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by delzo70 View Post

I visit with other dealer trade drivers once in a while and it is surprising how many are retired officers.
    One of my guys does this too. We are all part time and really more ON CALL so if he is on a car transport he just refuses the hours at the SO.

Both he and his brother (Retired city PD Lieutenant AND retired Army Reserve BG) travel in a company pickup towing a company trailer around the upper Midwest .

I looked into being a courtesy driver for one of the dealerships and as a courier for a Med Lab company but neither worked out to mesh my schedule at the time...............I had been refereed by other retirees

Originally posted by delzo70 View Post
    And, if you are working to pay bills, find something else.

I call my paycheck "gunshow" money.
    Absolutely..............while mine is used mostly to pay health insurance , I is really mad money as I DO have enough revenue with out it to make bills and eat well.

If you look at the group above ................NONE of us really need the job. We all are Type A's as well as leaders/ supervisors in our previous jobs. We all work enough to keep us out of trouble .

Leave a comment:

• delzo70
    replied
    I enjoy driving and sightseeing so for the past 5 years I've been working for a car dealership, doing what they call dealer trades. When a customer is dead-set on a color, particular seats, equipment, etc and the dealer doesn't have one like that on the lot, they find it on the computer and if there is not a contact in the works on that unit, GM says the dealer that has possession of it, must let it go. They just tell us what kind of car/truck they'd like and that's where I come in. I drive the unit the other dealer wants to that dealership and drive the coveted unit back. Once in a while they use a company to haul both units on a trailer but the price to do so is VERY high and most buyers don't mind the miles on their new vehicle.

I have gone into 6 other states on dealer trades. I'm paid by the mile except on close runs and then it is a set price. Several times the trip required me to grab a motel room for the night, which my dealership pays for, as well as all fuel and expenses I incur.

Just a couple of notes to be cautious of: some of the dealership require you to have your own insurance to cover the vehicles you drive which is expensive, to say the least. My dealership has me on their policy and I like that. And, if you are working to pay bills, find something else. I might do 4 dealer trades in a week and maybe none will come up. I call my paycheck "gunshow" money or a way to take the bride out to a new expensive place to eat or buy something not in the budget. I love being able to travel to places I've never been to before and see new things. I live in the Houston area and have been all over the state of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and even made two deliveries to customers in Colorado where I flew back home once and drove a trade-in the other.

I visit with other dealer trade drivers once in a while and it is surprising how many are retired officers.

Leave a comment:

• scotty_appleton814
    commented on 's reply
    I can't wait to join a gang like that!

• Iowa #1603
    commented on 's reply
    Front row with goatee

SHU............yep I do enjoy it. The entire department is fun to work with

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Originally posted by L-1 View Post
    People do unpredictable stuff in retirement.

One of my doctors was a Professor of mathematics for many years at a state university. He retired, went to medical school and became a dermatologist. He just retired for a second time.
    PhD in math, then med school. That's a lot of school....

BUT you're absolutely right. Retirement doesn't always mean golf and fishing everyday. For some, it means doing what they always wanted to do. I remember my 8th grade science teacher was a meat butcher for 30 years, retired and went to college, became a teacher in his mid 50s, then worked another 20 years. And I have a childhood friend who got a bachelors/masters in engineering, worked in the auto industry for 20 years, then went to bible school. Now he's a pastor at a mega-church. Follow your dream...

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    commented on 's reply
    Lemme guess- that's you in the middle.!

• SHU
    commented on 's reply
    You seem to enjoy what your doing. Whatever I end up doing I hope I enjoy it as much as you.

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    This is our "over the hill gang"

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6548 users online. 175 members and 6373 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X