Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not properly motivated to research the 2020 prevailing collective bargaining gov contract wages in Connecticut so I'll take your word for it. Like I said, it's good paying gig, as far as security work goes.

So as a recent retiree (who's got their ears on high alert for the right post-LE retirement job), I'll just say this: maybe some people's dream retirement job is the blue blazer security thing, low key and sedentary. But others want to use their background and skillsets in a way that is challenging and has a bit more prestige. Not that I'm above working the courthouse entryway.... but it's definitely a Plan B option in case Plan A doesn't work...
    What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
      I'm not properly motivated to research the 2020 prevailing collective bargaining gov contract wages in Connecticut so I'll take your word for it. Like I said, it's good paying gig, as far as security work goes.

So as a recent retiree (who's got their ears on high alert for the right post-LE retirement job), I'll just say this: maybe some people's dream retirement job is the blue blazer security thing, low key and sedentary. But others want to use their background and skillsets in a way that is challenging and has a bit more prestige. Not that I'm above working the courthouse entryway.... but it's definitely a Plan B option in case Plan A doesn't work...
      The FED courthouse security is much more than watching the entryway.

Fantastic job................however the Marshals have exacting standards & aren't afraid to can someone who doesn't make the grade.

They hire ONLY retired LEO's & a $30 to $45 per hour is pretty standard. They do have different contracts for different areas of the US but everything else is pretty standard

A friend of mine (retired Sheriff's deputy Sgt) lasted just a year before decided it wasn't for him. Another Sgt from the same agency got terminated after a few yrs ( I don't know the exact reason ) Lots of people end up leaving when eyesight makes quarterly qualifying impossible
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A retired Sgt from my department works part time for TSA. He did it for the cheap Health Insurance and if you work with them for 5+ years you get the health insurance for the rest of your retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by bkime1010 View Post
          A retired Sgt from my department works part time for TSA. He did it for the cheap Health Insurance and if you work with them for 5+ years you get the health insurance for the rest of your retirement.

Yeah, if someone doesn't have health insurance, the FEHB for life after only five years is a pretty sweet deal. But- if Bernie gets elected, your sgt (and everyone else) will get health insurance for life after no years...

I'm starting to narrow down my list of last resort jobs. It's been a process. I don't know what the next chapter holds, and the reality is I may never hold a real job again. But- if I had to work, these would be the Oh Snap gigs:

TSA screener (imagine saying "belts and shoes off, no metal objects, tickets and IDs only" 500 times a day....)

Blue blazer security (I always felt so sorry for those guys when they'd say, "I used to be a cop too.")

Night security/booth cleaner at .25 cent adult video parlor (self explanatory)

Hospital security (can't stand the smell of diarrhea)

Armed marijuana transport (five years ago, a man with a gun and pounds of dope in a car would get a pistol stuck in his ear by a cop. That man went to prison and the cop retired and guess who's now the man with a gun and pounds of dope in a car? Not me...)

What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Yeah, if someone doesn't have health insurance, the FEHB for life after only five years is a pretty sweet deal. But- if Bernie gets elected, your sgt (and everyone else) will get health insurance for life after no years...

I'm starting to narrow down my list of last resort jobs. It's been a process. I don't know what the next chapter holds, and the reality is I may never hold a real job again. But- if I had to work, these would be the Oh Snap gigs:

TSA screener (imagine saying "belts and shoes off, no metal objects, tickets and IDs only" 500 times a day....)

Blue blazer security (I always felt so sorry for those guys when they'd say, "I used to be a cop too.")

Night security/booth cleaner at .25 cent adult video parlor (self explanatory)

Hospital security (can't stand the smell of diarrhea)

Armed marijuana transport (five years ago, a man with a gun and pounds of dope in a car would get a pistol stuck in his ear by a cop. That man went to prison and the cop retired and guess who's now the man with a gun and pounds of dope in a car? Not me...)

You could always be like Harry Truman and be a piano player in a whorehouse

I wanted to get out of the profession when I retired but of course I knew I would be working at something..........

My pension is adequate for our needs but I knew myself and knew that I would have to do something.....

Bought a nice suit for interviews..............(never wore it)
            Looked around and didn't find anything I wanted to do. ....... I had decided that I was NOT going to get a job just to have a job........

Found a job working for an armored car company..........lasted 10 days before I told them to shove it.

Waited around almost 6 months and walked into the job I have held now for 9 yrs........I work mostly when I want to, get enough money to pay for health insurance (almost) , and have job security.

My job is IN the profession , has now evolved into a supervisory position & I was put onto the management team of my agency (so much for wanting to keep the ulcer under control)

Things don't work out the way you plan but they work out for the best most of the time
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-08-2020, 01:55 PM.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Attorney last 25 years of working law enforcement. I guess that qualifies
              T.K.
              http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

I have two masters degrees and some highly specialized military training that made my resume very competitive. So I became a defense contractor, working M-F and making a ton more money. I hated my department, anyway. Life is good now.

Stay safe out there, guys.
                MAC

Comment

I work a side gig as a rider coach for motos. I usually work 3-4 days a month mostly weekends. It pays decent for a job doing stuff I like. If I work a double which is usually 10-11 hours, I get paid for 12 and I stand nearly the whole time. The standing kills me but I like to make a certain amount of money per month doing the job and try to do it in as few days as possible so working a 12 with 4 hours OT helps a lot. Not sure I would want to put in more time with it if I was retired or just keep it minimal as it is. If I want to stay in CA after I retire I'll for sure need to get another full-time job. I have friends who are in mid level positions doing security and AML etc at various banks and tech companies so that might be an option if I want to continue with stress. My wife will likely be about ready to retire when I have to and our kid will be just finishing up college of he goes that route so we may just pull the plug at that point and get the heck out of CA.

Comment

I have a particular set of skills..
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

A post-retirement job to consider: timeshare salesman.

Last time I was in South Lake Tahoe, walking about with my wife, when someone approaches us and offers a voucher for a free $100 dinner at Sammy Hagar’s tequila cantina if we watch a brief video about buying a timeshare.

We had nowhere specific to be and a free dinner sounded great so we said yes. Within a few minutes we were in a windowless room watching a slick production about how we could own a vacation timeshare with Marriot for only $14,999 and $1,500 annual fees in easy monthly payments. Then we would get a week of vacation at one of their resorts around the world and if we could upgrade to higher plans if we ever wanted exclusive VIP treatment. The only catch was it was a limited offer so we needed to cough up $500 then and there if we wanted to take advantage of this exceptional offer.

Well, since we aren’t really the resort vacation type, we politely declined and asked to leave. The salesman got red-faced and kept saying things like “what can I do to show you what a great deal this is?” I told him his little Jedi mind tricks were not working and we just wanted to leave. He said the sales manager needed to talk to us first and twenty minutes later, a new guy shows up. The high pressure spchiel then really kicked in- basically how stupid we would be if we walked away from this offer. By now it’s been an hour and a half of this stuff and I started to lose my patience. We demanded to leave and the sales guy and his manager were like okay, you a-holes can leave now and showed us to the exit. We walked over to Sammy Hagar’s cantina and the meal tasted like aluminum and ash because we were so irritated.

Anyways, timeshare sales is probably a great post-LE gig because we’re already used to convincing people to buy into something that’s probably not high on their list of things to do, namely admissions or getting handcuffed.
                      We go to those gigs every once in awhile, have no problem saying no.

Few years back 3 of us rode to Myrtle Beach for Bike Week, stayed for free at a top notch resort. All adults in the group had to schedule a presentation. So we showed up, and as soon as the movie started we cracked open beers. After a few belches they told us we could leave....

Comment

You could always be like Harry Truman and be a piano player in a whorehouse
                        I listed that in my profile on Linked-In. They suspended my profile.

The FED courthouse security is much more than watching the entryway.
                        I interviewed for that job in Seattle when we were out there.

Several younger guys in the mix, not just older retired LEOs. I think they were looking for a way out of the mess WA law enforcement is becoming.
                        Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-08-2020, 04:18 PM.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I really don't have a desire to get back into the workforce, but at the time I retired, I could have been a constable deputy in my county. My former partner retired shortly after me and became one. He does similar work of arresting for warrants as we did together, but he also does courtroom security for his JP and a little civil work like evictions and service of papers. He absolutely loves how laidback it is compared to our former department, but like anything, it is still work.

Quite literally, I don't ever want to put on a duty belt or wear a vest ever again, especially to ever wear a body worn camera, which I never did. I'm done with all of that, and I'm proud of my service.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4807 users online. 327 members and 4480 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X