300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something wrong
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

This is our "over the hill gang"
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

• SHU
        SHU commented
        Editing a comment
        You seem to enjoy what your doing. Whatever I end up doing I hope I enjoy it as much as you.

• Ratatatat
        Ratatatat commented
        Editing a comment
        Lemme guess- that's you in the middle.!

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        Front row with goatee

SHU............yep I do enjoy it. The entire department is fun to work with

• scotty_appleton814
        scotty_appleton814 commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't wait to join a gang like that!

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      People do unpredictable stuff in retirement.

One of my doctors was a Professor of mathematics for many years at a state university. He retired, went to medical school and became a dermatologist. He just retired for a second time.
      PhD in math, then med school. That's a lot of school....

BUT you're absolutely right. Retirement doesn't always mean golf and fishing everyday. For some, it means doing what they always wanted to do. I remember my 8th grade science teacher was a meat butcher for 30 years, retired and went to college, became a teacher in his mid 50s, then worked another 20 years. And I have a childhood friend who got a bachelors/masters in engineering, worked in the auto industry for 20 years, then went to bible school. Now he's a pastor at a mega-church. Follow your dream...
      You can always tell when a man is well informed- his views are pretty much like your own.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Comment

I enjoy driving and sightseeing so for the past 5 years I've been working for a car dealership, doing what they call dealer trades. When a customer is dead-set on a color, particular seats, equipment, etc and the dealer doesn't have one like that on the lot, they find it on the computer and if there is not a contact in the works on that unit, GM says the dealer that has possession of it, must let it go. They just tell us what kind of car/truck they'd like and that's where I come in. I drive the unit the other dealer wants to that dealership and drive the coveted unit back. Once in a while they use a company to haul both units on a trailer but the price to do so is VERY high and most buyers don't mind the miles on their new vehicle.

I have gone into 6 other states on dealer trades. I'm paid by the mile except on close runs and then it is a set price. Several times the trip required me to grab a motel room for the night, which my dealership pays for, as well as all fuel and expenses I incur.

Just a couple of notes to be cautious of: some of the dealership require you to have your own insurance to cover the vehicles you drive which is expensive, to say the least. My dealership has me on their policy and I like that. And, if you are working to pay bills, find something else. I might do 4 dealer trades in a week and maybe none will come up. I call my paycheck "gunshow" money or a way to take the bride out to a new expensive place to eat or buy something not in the budget. I love being able to travel to places I've never been to before and see new things. I live in the Houston area and have been all over the state of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and even made two deliveries to customers in Colorado where I flew back home once and drove a trade-in the other.

I visit with other dealer trade drivers once in a while and it is surprising how many are retired officers.
        If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by delzo70 View Post

I visit with other dealer trade drivers once in a while and it is surprising how many are retired officers.
          One of my guys does this too. We are all part time and really more ON CALL so if he is on a car transport he just refuses the hours at the SO.

Both he and his brother (Retired city PD Lieutenant AND retired Army Reserve BG) travel in a company pickup towing a company trailer around the upper Midwest .

I looked into being a courtesy driver for one of the dealerships and as a courier for a Med Lab company but neither worked out to mesh my schedule at the time...............I had been refereed by other retirees

And, if you are working to pay bills, find something else.

I call my paycheck "gunshow" money.
          Absolutely..............while mine is used mostly to pay health insurance , I is really mad money as I DO have enough revenue with out it to make bills and eat well.

If you look at the group above ................NONE of us really need the job. We all are Type A's as well as leaders/ supervisors in our previous jobs. We all work enough to keep us out of trouble .

Comment

2 of the owners of the store I work at (#1 - Apr 2012 to Sep 2014 & #3 - Mar 2018 to date) were / are VFF with the FD here. #3 had been a Constable with a Municipal PS in Ontario for 11+ years before joining this company, and he is currently a member of the Canadian Forces Reserves (13+ years) as a Captain. I enjoyed, and enjoy, working for these 2 turkeys, even despite #3 having 3 black marks on his soul!
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

I want to open a food truck. I live in Buffalo, not by choice mind you, but it happened. Anyway, I am 3/4 of the way done with my career, and bbq has always been my passion since I was kid. There are so few establishments here that do real good smoked bbq like how I had it growing up in North Carolina. Another officer and I are laying the plans now for going into business.

Comment

• SHU
                SHU commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the chopped pulled pork barbecue they have in eastern North Carolina. That stuff is fantastic.

Just something to think about, the FBI has non-agent Surveillance teams (SSG). There is no age limit, and they like former LEO's, but are not a LEO position. Good gig, TDY...etc.

Comment

I'm not close to retiring but I have my own business where I teach concealed carry courses, CPR, first aid, taser, handcuffing, baton, etc...

I teach to individuals and contract out to larger security companies and places like schools, hospitals, etc... to teach their staff. It's easy money and places with nice budgets love hiring people with real law enforcement experience for these types of training.

Comment

The year after I started in law enforcement I started making leather holsters, belts, and accessories. Guys I worked with saw what I was doing and started asking me to make products for them. Referrals from other area departments provided me with a nice little sideline business for the remainder of my 24 years in law enforcement.

Took early retirement in 1995, started building houses, started a roof contracting company, consulted with insurance companies on fraudulent claims, all the while making a few holsters and accessories here and there. In 2007 the economy started circling the toilet bowl, my other business interests were slowing down, and I was looking for a way to add a few bucks to the positive side of the monthly balance sheet. Started a website offering my holster designs on-line, then spent the next 10 years working 7 days per week filling orders from all 50 states and 33 other countries.

Retired again in 2015 with a new house paid for in cash, debt-free, and 1.5 million in savings and retirement investments. Started drawing on my retirement funds for the first time a few months ago.

Stranger things have happened, but not to me!

Comment

Nuttin'. I've been a paramedic for over 40 years, becoming a cop I'd been on the street almost 15 years. kept my medic up, and started RN school while working. What happens if you get hurt, you need a job. Retired from the cops, went to work as a medic in an ED, plus critical care transports. That pretty much killed the RN path: seeing what those gals and guys go through, no way I'm doing that. 4 years later, retired for good.

So living in Flatistan (Florida). Could work for the Rat (Disney), but too far to drive. Thought about transferring my medic certs' but don't want to work nights or weekends since I'd be the new guy. So that's done.

Looking to work at a local outdoor range as a range master. Then I get to shoot for free!

Comment

I enjoy driving and sightseeing so for the past 5 years I've been working for a car dealership, doing what they call dealer trades. When a customer is dead-set on a color, particular seats, equipment, etc and the dealer doesn't have one like that on the lot, they find it on the computer and if there is not a contact in the works on that unit, GM says the dealer that has possession of it, must let it go. They just tell us what kind of car/truck they'd like and that's where I come in. I drive the unit the other dealer wants to that dealership and drive the coveted unit back. Once in a while they use a company to haul both units on a trailer but the price to do so is VERY high and most buyers don't mind the miles on their new vehicle.

I have gone into 6 other states on dealer trades. I'm paid by the mile except on close runs and then it is a set price. Several times the trip required me to grab a motel room for the night, which my dealership pays for, as well as all fuel and expenses I incur.

Just a couple of notes to be cautious of: some of the dealership require you to have your own insurance to cover the vehicles you drive which is expensive, to say the least. My dealership has me on their policy and I like that. And, if you are working to pay bills, find something else. I might do 4 dealer trades in a week and maybe none will come up. I call my paycheck "gunshow" money or a way to take the bride out to a new expensive place to eat or buy something not in the budget. I love being able to travel to places I've never been to before and see new things. I live in the Houston area and have been all over the state of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and even made two deliveries to customers in Colorado where I flew back home once and drove a trade-in the other.

I was born into the auto business, and used to do dealer trades for the dealerships that my parents worked for. It paid pretty well, but as you pointed out, it's not steady work.

Comment

My wife and her sister are both in the veterinary profession. Her sister has been making extra money for many years, pet-sitting for people who are taking trips away from home.

Boarding a pet can be expensive, and boarding more than one pet is even more expensive. A lot of people like the idea of someone staying in their home, watching over their pets and their home, without subjecting their pets to the trauma of being put in a kennel and taken to be warehoused at the vet, and they'll pay good for it.

My wife and I have helped out a time or two, and the clients typically tell us to help ourselves to any food or booze in the house. Her sister has more clients than she can take care of, so she has offered us some of her bookings to get started when we retire. My wife and I should be a pretty easy sell, since my wife is from the veterinary field and I'll be a retired cop.

Comment

So you essentially move into someone's home while they are away, feed and comfort their little furball, help yourself to their food and wine, and get paid? It sounds like the best gig in the world. I don't think I could do it though... I like being in my house, eating my food, being around my stuff...

I do know people who have turned housesitting into a de facto profession. One guy I grew up with moved to Jackson Hole WY twenty-five years ago and got to know some folks while working at a bicycle shop. He made friends with one couple who had a home south of town (for those of you who haven't been to Jackson, it's a resort community for the rich and famous). This couple were fairly well off doctors from Arizona and only used the house for a week in the summer and a week in the winter. They wanted a caretaker and offered him the home rent-free for a year with one caveat- disappear the two weeks a year they visited. He ended up residing in the house for ten years, in the same exclusive neighborhood Harrison Ford and Sandra Bullock and a few billionaires have homes, and never paid a nickel in rent....
                          You can always tell when a man is well informed- his views are pretty much like your own.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4869 users online. 166 members and 4703 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X