300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Careers after retirement?

Is anyone planning on what they will do next after retirement? Have you retired in the past few years and started a new profession? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by SHU; 12-18-2018, 04:31 PM. Reason: My tapeworm told me too.

Hell im thinking of new careers before retirement.

Comment

I recently saw a job advertisement with "WANTED: FORMER POLICE AND FIREFIGHTERS" in bold letters. Further reading revealed it was for an organ harvest service, and the job entailed driving a van to local morgues and funeral homes, picking up the recently deceased, then driving the dead to the organ donor place where surgical technicians remove parts and pieces. I reckon they figure former LE and Fire are more responsible drivers and more likely to get the cadavers there in one piece.

Anyways, pay started at $25 an hour, which isn't too shabby, and you wouldn't have to put up with much lip from people, unlike a security officer gig that pays half that much....

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

I retired 8 years ago as of Dec 29 this year, after 35 years of service, all in uniform on General Duty and HP / Traffic Services.

39+ years ago, I became very involved with the Roman Catholic Church - was a from-the-cradle-but-lax RC, but my girlfriend (now wife - 38+ years, and your sympathy for her is appreciated!) and her family were VERY involved, so I followed suit, and have continued (Scripture reader, Communion assistant, Psalmist soloist).

30+ years ago, I joined the Knights of Columbus, for which I have held various positions, including 2 currently.

20+ years, I began working, on contract, as a bar tender at our Church hall (can be rented by anyone, for any event, but if they have a liquor permit they MUST hire our bar tenders, whom are paid via the rental contract), plus 4 years ago took over as Bar Staff Co-Ordinator. I recently gave up the Co-Ordinator position, and have not worked many events, due to my current employment.

~ 20 years ago, I joined the local amateur theatre group, where I have been an actor, director, helped build sets, and back-stage crew. My last show was Christmas 2017, as our group has slowed down.

9 years ago joined my Veterans Association, so occasionally attend out-of-town dinner meetings, or perform ceremonial duties in authorized dress uniform, such as Remembrance Day, or attending Academy Troop Graduation stag dinners to tell the newbies lies.

4+ years ago began volunteering with our hospital, delivering Meals-On-Wheels to shut-ins (gratis, using my vehicle), chauffeuring wheelchair-bound nursing home residents to local appointments (gratis, using a support Agency owned modified van), sitting on an advisory committee (gratis), or chauffeuring clients to out-of-town appointments (paid by the clients, using my, or their, vehicle). I have not been active due to my current employment.

Beyond the above in order since retirement:
        - 2 weeks of slackness;
        - - we had heavy snow storms, but my son had a yard tractor with a plow, so I cleared my and my neighbours driveways;
        - 6 months of casual Communications Officer / Dispatcher / Clerk for the Municipal Police Service;
        - - they used the same records management system as my Force, but too quiet and I hated sitting behind a desk;
        - 7 months full-time as Site Supervisor / Security Officer for G4S (unarmed) for access control an safety policy monitoring at a steel plant;
        - - it was in another place over an hour drive away. My wife and I considered moving. I commuted for 3 months, and house-sat for snowbirds for the other 4. My position had been unfilled for almost 2 years due to contract negotiation problems. I had 18 subordinates, some of whom had not completed HS, and whom had worked for MULTIPLE Security companies at this site. Some of the plant staff (production AND admin) treated my staff like the abused partner in a bad domestic situation until I got settled and got that stopped;
        - 2.5 years full-time as a Warehouse Associate at a local outlet of a large Canadian chain store;
        - - I HATED living apart from my wife, and my Mom, who lived in another Province, got the "c" diagnosis, so I quit the security gig to be able to go as I need to. Wife said I had to keep busy. I liked throwing around stuff as well as, or better, than the younger staff, but a manager got under my skin, so I moved on;
        - 3 weeks full-time as a Florist delivery driver / shipper-receiver;
        - - Duties included prepping flower shipments for storage in the cooler. I HATE cutting my own lawn, let alone tending flowers, so I gave notice;
        - 6 months full-time as a Warehouse Associate for Walmart;
        - - Bad pay. Crappy shift. Worked with kids who would NOT get off the Internet on their phones during shift. Manager gave ME **** for giving the kids ****. BIG mistake!;
        - 6 months casual Customer Service Representative at a bank;
        - - BORING! Plus it was ironic, as my wife did NOT want me sitting at home on the computer all day!;
        - 3 months casual as Assistant to Returning Officer for the Provincial (kind-of like a State) Election;
        - - Fun, despite being a bit nuts on election night;
        - 6 months full-time as Customer Shuttle / Parts driver for the Chrysler dealer;
        - - I could walk to work (2 blocks). M to F. 7:30-ish AM to 5-ish PM. Great pay. Other than tires, and having to haul them to a 2nd floor (had a conveyor belt, but narrow), nothing too heavy to lift. Lots of conflicting duties, however, plus the Head Mechanic was an idiot;
        - 1 year full-time as a Warehouse Associate at a local outlet of a large Canadian chain store;
        - - Same place that I was at for 2.5 years above, and still there.

I walked away with a 70% pension-for-life, plus health benefits, plus a severance package that I transferred (tax-free) into a tax-free retirement savings plan. My wife was a stay-at-home mom (former RN) as of 1986 for our 5 kids, but got back into the work force almost 20 years ago, and is currently a full-time Office Manager for a North American chain funeral home.

My wife and I hired one company to renovate the main floor, and a 2nd company to replace all 3 garage bay doors, of our home, so we are both working to pay those bills off, as well as travel occasionally, and spoil our grand-kids.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

A post-retirement job to consider: timeshare salesman.

Last time I was in South Lake Tahoe, walking about with my wife, when someone approaches us and offers a voucher for a free $100 dinner at Sammy Hagar’s tequila cantina if we watch a brief video about buying a timeshare.

We had nowhere specific to be and a free dinner sounded great so we said yes. Within a few minutes we were in a windowless room watching a slick production about how we could own a vacation timeshare with Marriot for only $14,999 and $1,500 annual fees in easy monthly payments. Then we would get a week of vacation at one of their resorts around the world and if we could upgrade to higher plans if we ever wanted exclusive VIP treatment. The only catch was it was a limited offer so we needed to cough up $500 then and there if we wanted to take advantage of this exceptional offer.

Well, since we aren’t really the resort vacation type, we politely declined and asked to leave. The salesman got red-faced and kept saying things like “what can I do to show you what a great deal this is?” I told him his little Jedi mind tricks were not working and we just wanted to leave. He said the sales manager needed to talk to us first and twenty minutes later, a new guy shows up. The high pressure spchiel then really kicked in- basically how stupid we would be if we walked away from this offer. By now it’s been an hour and a half of this stuff and I started to lose my patience. We demanded to leave and the sales guy and his manager were like okay, you a-holes can leave now and showed us to the exit. We walked over to Sammy Hagar’s cantina and the meal tasted like aluminum and ash because we were so irritated.

Anyways, timeshare sales is probably a great post-LE gig because we’re already used to convincing people to buy into something that’s probably not high on their list of things to do, namely admissions or getting handcuffed.

Comment

Six months after I retired I landed a part time gig doing Court Security and Inmate Transport for my local sheriff. I work when I want. The job has morphed into a bit more responsibility but I still can say no if I get called into work........I just have to find someone else in our division to do the job.

I worked for TEN DAYS for a regional armored car company right after I pulled the plug. 10 LONG DAYS before I told them they couldn't pay me enough to work for them anymore
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm a long way from retirement myself, but know plenty of people that have done so. Some options I've seen that seem to make the retirees happy:

- Retail sales at a local hunting/fishing/outdoors/firearms store (pretty popular around here, though several complain of spending their paychecks before they walk out the door)
              - Secret shopper for hotels/motels -- basically get paid to take vacations
              - Work part-time for another department. This one's pretty popular, as it allows retirees to keep their foot in the LE door and a lot of smaller departments (i.e., not much going on) like hiring part-timers they can trust and don't have to train.
              - Working claims or subrogation investigations for an insurance company
              - Doing backgrounds as a Deputy Assistant Special Agent for US State Department
              - Cable TV investigator - find people who are stealing cable, build a case report that is handed over for LE so they can pretty much copy-and-paste into charging documents. The guy I know that did this said it was more about building the relationships with the departments so they'd follow through with the paperwork. He had a nice expense budget.

Comment

Golf course greens attendant: given MY story, I would not recommend it, but I have heard that guys into "Whack! DAMN!!", or caring for their own lawns, like it.
                Sales Associate at Lowes, Bass Pro Shop, or other big-box hardware or sporting store: Per my story, I liked still being able to help customers, and the 3 owners of the local franchise that I worked for allowed me to do so, as long as I concentrated on throwing around BBQ, treadmills, and mechanics tool boxes.
                Hotel front desk: I would LOVE to do this, but my local hotels / motels are not that busy.
                #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                "Smile" - no!

Comment

RE: retail work at a Cabela's or gun shop. I'd put this at the bottom of my list....

-The pay is lousy ($12-$14 an hour).

-So is the employee discount.

-Ever been to a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop, especially during the holidays? It's nuts busy, where you stand on your feet for 8 hours straight and engage with countless customers all day. Exhausting work, both physically and mentally.

-Ever wait on customers? They're a demanding lot with seemingly endless requests, like "can you show me three more versions of a Glock 9mm handgun" and "I'd like to add accessories to this AR. What are my options?" And you have to be nice and patient with all the stupidity, or else management will hear about it.

-Here's my concern about gun shops. There are a few by me, and while I am not a frequent patron, I do occasionally stop in. And it seems like there's often people looking and buying that are a bit skeevy. Dudes with "III%" tattooed on their necks. Dudes who look like they're destined for future incarceration. Dudes who look like they kill cats for fun and giggles. I'm just saying it would probably go against my grain to engage with them and equip them, knowing what I know.

-The other thing about gun shops: the ones by me with indoor ranges all have one thing in common: in the fairly recent past, they have all been used to facilitate suicides, where people have rented guns and moments later, killed themselves. Now a couple of ranges have tried to implement procedures to address the issue (like requiring parties of two people in order to rent a firearm), but the bottom line is no one can read someone else's mind and if they are intent on causing themselves harm, they will do so.

-If you like to shoot as a hobby, the last place you'll want to go on your day off is a gun shop/range....

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

-If you like to shoot as a hobby, the last place you'll want to go on your day off is a gun shop/range....
                    Read that last sentence again. That is true of pretty much other hobbies, too. For example, I did water patrol full time only one summer. I learned a lot. It was fun, but when family and/or friends suggested going to a lake or river o my time off, it really didn't do anything for me.

Similarly, a bunch of years ago I decided that I wanted to work the Minnesota State Fair as a cop. It did it just that one year, but I never returned. Similarly, other cops warned me, "Once you work out there, you won't want to go there again." I do still like going, but if I continued to work it, I am sure I would have lost interest in attending off-duty.

Somehow I suspect that when conversation officers are asked by friends and relatives to go hunting and fishing, they probably want to do something else.

Another hobby of mine is horses. I am pretty sure if I worked with horses 40 plus hours a week, I would not want to be around horses when I am off-duty.

ATVing is another hobby. I am sure I could find work related to ATVs, but I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of that hobby.

Amateur radio is something I got into years ago. I have been asked to do volunteer public service events involving amateur radio. One of the things that they do some places is direct traffic. I pretty much got that out of my system when I was getting paid to do it.

Oh, and with regard to the firearms hobby, my wife has gotten interested and mentioned just tonight, at dinner, that I ought to come shoot with her. I have tried explaining to her that I pretty much got that out of my system years ago, too. Maybe I will come around eventually, but for now, I am sort of enjoying a break from being at the range.

Oh, my wife;s job is being a school bus driver. She pretty much doesn't want to drive anything when she doesn't have to. Given the opportunity, she would much rather I drove and then she could tell me how to do it, what turn I should have taken, etc.!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post

20+ years, I began working, on contract, as a bar tender at our Church hall (can be rented by anyone, for any event, but if they have a liquor permit they MUST hire our bar tenders, whom are paid via the rental contract), plus 4 years ago took over as Bar Staff Co-Ordinator. I recently gave up the Co-Ordinator position, and have not worked many events, due to my current employment.
                      That one surprised me. Most law enforcement agencies down here have conflict of interest rules that prohibit sworn personnel from holding secondary employment, paid or not, in jobs involving the serving or sales of alcoholic beverages.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post

Somehow I suspect that when conversation officers are asked by friends and relatives to go hunting and fishing, they probably want to do something else.

Most of the CONSERVATION officers I know are avid hunters/fishermen................

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post

Amateur radio is something I got into years ago
                        73's
                        KC0LGB
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I have always enjoyed working in my yard, keeping my lawns perfect,,,always planting various flowers etc...So when I retired I started doing gardening for my neighbors...I don't just mow, blow and go like most of the non English speaking gardeners in So. Calif. I take care of their yards as if it was my own...Make a nice chunk of tax free money every month, get plenty of exercise...The only down side is the long commute from my own home....Its 150 yards to the house at the end of the street.
                          Retired LASD

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                            scotty_appleton814 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I LOVE THIS COMMENT. I'm soo sorry for your short commute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• reils49
                            reils49 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That’s my retirement plan. I find yard work, fire wood splitting, and planting trees and flowers very relaxing.

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                          I recently saw a job advertisement with "WANTED: FORMER POLICE AND FIREFIGHTERS" in bold letters. Further reading revealed it was for an organ harvest service, and the job entailed driving a van to local morgues and funeral homes, picking up the recently deceased, then driving the dead to the organ donor place where surgical technicians remove parts and pieces. I reckon they figure former LE and Fire are more responsible drivers and more likely to get the cadavers there in one piece.

Anyways, pay started at $25 an hour, which isn't too shabby, and you wouldn't have to put up with much lip from people, unlike a security officer gig that pays half that much....
                          Not sure about cops and firefighters being more responsible drivers...but we certainly wouldn't be grossed out by a corpse.

A buddy of mine works for an organ procurement company as a tissue recovery technician. A few years back I went on a "ride along" with him. 3 am he got a call that a registered organ donor had passed away...quick cup of coffee and off we went. The organ and tissue removal process is fascinating. I was amazed at all the stuff they remove for donations...not just organs, but bones, skin, veins, tendons...pretty much EVERYTHING. And then afterwards he has to reassemble the body to make it look "as good as new" before it is released to the family or funeral home. He told me that they used to get creative when replacing missing parts...ping pong balls for eyes, PVC pipe for bones...now everything they use needs to be biodegradable.

Interesting job, but not a retirement gig I would choose...

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                            I have always enjoyed working in my yard, keeping my lawns perfect,,,always planting various flowers etc...So when I retired I started doing gardening for my neighbors...I don't just mow, blow and go like most of the non English speaking gardeners in So. Calif. I take care of their yards as if it was my own...Make a nice chunk of tax free money every month, get plenty of exercise...The only down side is the long commute from my own home....Its 150 yards to the house at the end of the street.
                            No "take-home" riding mower to make the commute a bit easier?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12786 users online. 414 members and 12372 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X