300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips to stay warm with Outer Vest Carrier

Hey guys and gals, my department has allowed outer carrier vests for the first time this year. We wear them over our navy blue class A duty uniform. (Vest is black).

With winter coming, I'd love advice on how to stay warm. A jacket over the vest would probably be weird and would make the gear on my vest hard to get to, and a hoodie like some places I've seen would be a H*!! NO from admin.

Other than layering, what would be the best advice you could give? One idea I had was putting shoulder patches on a "Job Shirt".

Pictures would also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by unit 8; 11-02-2018, 03:17 AM.
    Halt or I'll say Halt again!!!

Have you considered a commando sweater? That plus normal layering should keep you warm in anything short of really frigid temperatures. If you're talking about hardcore cold, then the coat is still an option.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I actually HAVE looked at those sweaters online. My only hesitation with those is that the sleeve cuff looks baggy and I would hate for it to become an officer safety issue (getting tangled etc). Maybe Im being too picky on that one lol

Comment

They're actually pretty nice and tend to fit snugly over your uniform shirt if you size them properly...I've never seen them get tangled up in a tussle or otherwise be any more of an officer safety issue than any normal piece of uniform clothing. They can also be pretty warm (I know guys who wear them, in addition to normal layering, most of the winter without a coat in anything short of sub-zero temps). They don't cost much, so you're not really out much of anything if you buy one and don't like it (especially if your department gives you a uniform allowance).
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Everyone here wears a jacket over them. If it is chilly, a sweater and/or thermals work. When it's 10 below zero, you need a jacket.

Comment

I wear long johns, a sweater, then my vest carrier. I haven't had any issues with the sweater getting in the way but watch out for the velcro on your carrier. It keeps me warm enough most the time but I'd also get an oversized jacket for really cold days. I have molle gear on the front of my carrier and it adds a size or two from what I normally wear. Another guy I work with wears snow pants instead of his BDU's but I don't favor that as much myself.
            Last edited by NW121; 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM. Reason: Grammar OCD

Comment

Sounds like the consensus is that a sweater is the way to go.
              i wonder if one brand is as good as the next. Im seeing mostly 5.11 and Bluaer (both of which I have no complaints about with their other stuff)
              Last edited by unit 8; 11-03-2018, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unit 8 View Post

Other than layering, what would be the best advice you could give? One idea I had was putting shoulder patches on a "Job Shirt".
                I did exactly that and it works very well. Mine is a generic-brand 1/4 zip made from thick fleece material.
                Very warm but not too bulky, and you can fit it underneath a vest carrier.

I know 5.11 sell something similar, a lot of workwear websites also sell generic ones that will do the job.

Comment

I dont see much difference between wearing a jacket over a uniform shirt over a vest carrier, or wearing a jacket over a uniform shirt with an outer carrier over it. It's either T-shirt, vest, shirt, jacket, or it's T-shirt, shirt, vest, jacket.

If you buy the sweater, get a Blauer V-neck. It looks better if you wear the tie. If it gets really cold in your area, spend the extra money and get the Gortex version. You'll be glad you did.
                  You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by EchoFoxtrot View Post

I did exactly that and it works very well. Mine is a generic-brand 1/4 zip made from thick fleece material.
                    Very warm but not too bulky, and you can fit it underneath a vest carrier.

I know 5.11 sell something similar, a lot of workwear websites also sell generic ones that will do the job.

Any chance you have a picture youre willing to share or direct message?

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post
                      I dont see much difference between wearing a jacket over a uniform shirt over a vest carrier, or wearing a jacket over a uniform shirt with an outer carrier over it. It's either T-shirt, vest, shirt, jacket, or it's T-shirt, shirt, vest, jacket.

If you buy the sweater, get a Blauer V-neck. It looks better if you wear the tie. If it gets really cold in your area, spend the extra money and get the Gortex version. You'll be glad you did.

This is the Blauer I'm narrowing in on. I didn't see a gortex one but it's fleece lined. It's half zip which i like because you can regulate how much air you let in your chest area (no ties here, thank God lol)

https://www.blauer.com/fleece-lined-...riteo&no_cache

Comment

Any chance you have a picture youre willing to share or direct message?
                        Essentially something like these with your agency patches attached:

https://lapolicegear.com/elbeco-quar...job-shirt.html
                        https://lapolicegear.com/first-tacti...job-shirt.html

Works very well underneath an outer carrier.

Comment

Check your local sporting goods store for thermal underwear. There are some that aren’t bulky yet will keep you very warm. They will probably be more expensive than what you get at wallyworld, but well worth it.

Comment

This is the Blauer I'm narrowing in on. I didn't see a gortex one but it's fleece lined. It's half zip which i like because you can regulate how much air you let in your chest area (no ties here, thank God lol)

https://www.blauer.com/fleece-lined-...riteo&no_cache
                            I was talking more like the Classic V neck. They used make one Gortex lined, but it doesn't look like its offered anymore. I wore one over a uniform shirt, outer vest carrier, and wore a heavy coat over that when it got really subzero cold. I also had an old school fuzzy mouton hat. Very warm.

https://www.blauer.com/classic-v-neck-sweater-210.html

Get the one you like, thats authorized by your uniform policy.

You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Great quality (you get what you pay for) thermals, the top having a turtle neck or 1/4 neck.

These are super expensive, but in below freezing conditions, the warmest ever, I'm told...

https://lapolicegear.com/arcteryx-15...bottom-sv.html
                              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10934 users online. 405 members and 10529 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X