300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Regs

Serious question folks. Does your agency permit their ethnic officers to wear their hair in various "cultural" styles? Such as corn rows, dred locks, Turbins, etc.?
    Jerry
    "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

nope. for males, it must be off the ears, off the collar and out of the eyes. no extreme colors or styles.

Turbins would be under headwear here, and only the ballcap is authorized. class A caps are only authorized during certain events.

Comment

Not unless they are working an undercover assignment. If your on patrol you must be clean cut.
      The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

We let the Italians use lots of hair oil. Is that what you meant?

Comment

I know of departments that allow Sikhs to wear turbins.
          Against organized crime, internal affairs is my defensive hand; Intelligence officers are my offensive hand.
          The late William H. Parker, Chief LAPD 1950 - 1966
          |||
          Fir Na Dli

Comment

No. Against policy. Although I let my hair grow for about 2 months into a junior afro. No one said anything, but I cut it off before it attracted too much attention.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

"Cultural" styles are not allowed. We're not England yet. By the way, I doubt there is a Sikh police officer in the US who is allowed to wear a turban..

Comment

Originally posted by marty33
                "Cultural" styles are not allowed. We're not England yet. By the way, I doubt there is a Sikh police officer in the US who is allowed to wear a turban..
                Hang in there, it's coming.
                Jerry
                "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

No,
                  Our dept has a hair policy for both males and females and it also addresses working in a unit which requires modified grooming standards.

Comment

Originally posted by marty33
                    I doubt there is a Sikh police officer in the US who is allowed to wear a turban..
                    See http://www.sikhcoalition.org/amricsingh.asp

Comment

Patrol officers must be neat and clean and uniform in appearance.....

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                      Serious question folks. Does your agency permit their ethnic officers to wear their hair in various "cultural" styles? Such as corn rows, dred locks, Turbins, etc.?
                      uugghhh- disgusting-Unless its a true religious thing( the Sikhs have religious doctrine regarding their hair,and are RATHER neat and trimmed about their beards and turban).most people comply with Dept rules as they know the difference bttwn personal beliefs and being socially acceptible ( generic) to the general public.I have a pakistani co worker(muslim) that will wear his full beard and traditional dress off duty or on vacation,but he shaves and keeps his hair cut like everyone else on duty. I hate it,though when other Blk officers call crappy thug hair styles( corn rolls are for FELONS) or micro dredds(college kids and hip hop crowd) as "cultural"-excuse ME???!!Most africans wear bald heads or short naturals!!! and unless you have a legit skin condition, you should shave. PERIOD. Clean faced -no moustache -first 1-5 yrs,moustache after 5 yrs of service.No "irish WESTies" side burns,no spikey hair,no "butch blond " dye,no "super afros", and definitely NONE of those cop "mullets"!!!!!!!! Bald head or flat top -looks neat 24/7,sez I'm a cop, I'm squared away,and "I'm a Bad mutha......"
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002
                        ..but he is neat and within dept standards( no wild willie beard,or other items that interfere with being physically able to perform patrol duties)
                        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Does anyone knows if your hair is required to be cut while in the application process?

Comment

Isn't there a problem with facial hair & being able to use a gas mask??

Comment

Originally posted by marty33 View Post
                              And what does "we're not England yet" mean? Personally I don't see a problem with respecting other peoples religion, if that means they wear a turban and grow a beard then so be it, won't make them any better or worse a police officer.

And one of the considerations for our CBRN trained officers is that if they grow a beard then they will not be able to deploy with the respirator.

This is what we are allowed;
                              All personnel must be smart, clean and well groomed. Hair must be neat and, for uniformed officers/staff, kept above the shirt collar and should not cover the ears. Long or loose hair falling below the collar is potentially dangerous. Shapes, motifs, patterns and extreme styles, which may provoke hostility or detract from a professional image, are not allowed. Hair should not be dyed in conspicuously “unnatural” colours.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6279 users online. 366 members and 5913 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X