300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride-alongs from visiting cops

When I've traveled, I've been tempted many times to reach out to the local agency to inquire about doing a ride-along. Not necessarily to think about moving to another area/department, but more so to see how other cops do the job in different areas.

Anyone ever done this, or hosted someone who is? How is it received?

While my former agency didn’t prohibit it and recognized the positives, there was always concern that you might get involved in some event and get called as a witness. Of course now you are dealing with travel costs, time away from your office, and possibly exposing your agency to some unnecessary liability.

I once took a week-long professional development course hosted by the Las Vegas PD. One attendee was a supervisor in their vice squad and offered to set me up on late night ride-alongs. I declined as I knew I wouldn’t be able to stay awake in class after a night on the town. To this day I regret not taking him up on that offer. I would have learned a lot more.
    Last edited by Rockriver; 10-02-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Usually when we get off work, the last thing we want to do is do something that reminds us of it.

Comment

The only time I ever thought about it was when I was in Ireland, just to see how they do it across the pond. It never got past thinking...I was having too much fun on my dream vacation to think about work!

I can only think of one time when a non-candidate LEO rode just for the heck of it at any department I've worked for. It wasn't a big deal...cops are cops pretty much anywhere...but I'm past the point in my career where I really want to spend time outside of work doing anything that's even remotely work-related (I say as I type on a police message board...duh!).
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
          Usually when we get off work, the last thing we want to do is do something that reminds us of it.
          This!

Comment

I did a ride-a-long with my childhood-home Regional Police once when I was back visiting my parents, a short ride-a-long and tour of their office with another Municipal PS in another Province when I had to be there to pick up a prisoner, and with 2 of my brothers-in-law who worked for my Force in another Division / Province.

My son came out with me for a couple of shifts several years ago, but he was in his uniform and gatted-up; I really enjoyed those shifts.
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
              When I've traveled, I've been tempted many times to reach out to the local agency to inquire about doing a ride-along. Not necessarily to think about moving to another area/department, but more so to see how other cops do the job in different areas.

Anyone ever done this, or hosted someone who is? How is it received?
              I do it every time I get the chance & highly recommend doing it. Over the years I have met some awesome people & made some great friends.
              Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I did several with different large agencies when I was younger. It was interesting getting a perspective on how agencies do things differently. I quickly figured out it's the same stupid people and problems everywhere you go. Now it's the last thing I would even think of doing when I'm not working.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11440 users online. 428 members and 11012 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X