300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best shifts smaller agency

looking for opinions on best shifts for smaller department (doesnt need overlapping shifts). Currently on 8's and has part timers available to fill gaps. Thanks

You have to be more specific as to how many officers and how many working at a time to make a schedule. Twelve hour shifts are good because they offer more days off but the cons are if you have court after working midnights you are screwed about sleeping and you have more overtime on this schedule. Eight hour shifts are shorter more time between shifts but less days off.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

What he said. I like noon to 1500, with an hour for lunch.

Comment

2 officers working at a time, sometimes one is a Corporal. Department is under 20 officers. I think 10 hr shifts would be preferred with more set days off.

Comment

Panama, or the 12 hour shift rotation, are best, regardless of the size of your agency. It seems any admin who makes his patrol guys work 8s really does not care about them.

Comment

Originally posted by UnivPD View Post
            Panama, or the 12 hour shift rotation, are best, regardless of the size of your agency. It seems any admin who makes his patrol guys work 8s really does not care about them.
            I work 8s and am quite happy with them.

Comment

10s or 12s with set days off and splitting the weekend so everyone is either off Saturday or Sunday. You could mix in for the older guys that they have Fri sat and Sunday off they'd just work the week days. Rotating shifts suck and are a pain to plan
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I like our 9's; work 5, off 3, every week.

Comment

Originally posted by NW121 View Post
                  I like our 9's; work 5, off 3, every week.
                  Is that common core math? 5 working days and 3 days off every week?
                  Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Pretty much.

Comment

I also been trying to come with another shift schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by UnivPD View Post

Amen to that. Why you wouldn’t want to give your guys the most time away possible from this **** is beyond me.

Comment

10's are spectacular if you can work out the schedule (which can be a huge pain, depending on manpower requirements and staffing). 12's with a 3-day weekend off every other weekend are nice, but those 12-hour days can get rough. 8's are old school and most guys come to hate them once they get a taste of anything else. Whatever you go, I agree that set days off are a must...rotating days are more like a punishment than a legitimate schedule.
                          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12142 users online. 433 members and 11709 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X