300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii

What is the current practice for carrying a firearm in Hawaii, specifically Oahu? 10-round mag limit isn't an issue, but I remember there being something about gun registration. Is that required for an out of state LEO? Their website here http://www.honolulupd.org/informatio...p?page=gunmain doesn't seem to have any specific info other than to post a link to LEOSA.

I've done my due diligence with a forum search but want the most current information so I can stay out of trouble. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by DepTroop; 09-19-2018, 10:29 AM.

Use caution for sure....HR218 says you can carry... State Law says you have 48 hours upon arriving in state with your firearm to submit it at the Honolulu Police Firearms Unit for inspection and registration....

Honolulu Police website has some info on it from the AG’s Office that bears reading. Basically- the visiting LEO who is carrying under LEOSA will be investigated as an armed civilian, and NOT an “off duty” peace officer who was armed under LEOSA.

I have also heard (unconfirmed) that hollow point ammo is a no-no.

For an interesting read regarding an interaction between two visiting LEOS from another state to Maui- search the net for news articles. Related to how it was viewed that they were outside the 48 hours to register per Hawaii Law. Different islands, different agencies, but same state law.

I’m chalking this one up to- “It’s complicated”

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Shaw View Post
      Use caution for sure....HR218 says you can carry... State Law says you have 48 hours upon arriving in state with your firearm to submit it at the Honolulu Police Firearms Unit for inspection and registration....

Honolulu Police website has some info on it from the AG’s Office that bears reading. Basically- the visiting LEO who is carrying under LEOSA will be investigated as an armed civilian, and NOT an “off duty” peace officer who was armed under LEOSA.

I have also heard (unconfirmed) that hollow point ammo is a no-no.

For an interesting read regarding an interaction between two visiting LEOS from another state to Maui- search the net for news articles. Related to how it was viewed that they were outside the 48 hours to register per Hawaii Law. Different islands, different agencies, but same state law.

I’m chalking this one up to- “It’s complicated”
      Pretty much on the money.

HP ammo is OK. Just no “frangible”, “teflon coated” (Black Talon or equivalent) or “segmenting” ammo (RIP rounds).

Once you arrive, you need to register the firearms brought into the state within 72 hours of arrival (both the firearm and the owner). Failure to do so can lead to all kinds of trouble. HPD has a new chief, so procedure is slowly getting u.n.-eff’d. Any questions, call the Honolulu Police Firearms Section at: 808-529-3371 for questions regarding Honolulu county (island of Oahu). If traveling to other islands (Kauai, Maui, Hawaii), information may differ. PM me if you need assistance with the other counties. Honolulu police website has pertinent info as well. If you are brining department issued firearms be sure to call HPD to determine the best procedure to be in compliance with the law. Be advised that you will be entered into the “rapback system” and charged a fee when you register your firearms.

May be less hassle if you leave ‘um at home, as registration can take up a good part of the day. Fell free to PM me if you need specifics. I got contacts within the various departments that I can call at all hours of the day.
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I visit the Islands yearly. I have never felt the need to carry. My gats stay at home.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Hawaii is the most gun unfriendly state I've ever lived in.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
            Hawaii is the most gun unfriendly state I've ever lived in.
            I’ve seen worse, but Hawaii does come pretty close.....
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Two years ago, I spent a week on Kawaii, barely saw a patrol car, and NEVER came across a situation that I felt that I, my wife, and the other 2 couples (2 of her sisters and their husbands) were in danger of ANY harm or theft, nor was (were) any other person(s).

Isn't the point of vacation, ESPECIALLY when visiting Hawaii, to RELAX?! Why bother "packing" when you have your Speedo, flip-flops, and sun-block lotion?

I find it almost comical that one thread will get blown-up with comments of, "Work for free? S c r e w that noise! My feet go into my boots, pay goes into my account, d a m n ytte!", and the next thread is filled with comments of, "So, is 3 guns enough when going for ice cream on Main St at Disneyland, or should I stuff one up my a r s e as well?"

Yeah, yeah, I am going to get flamed...that's ok, I get it.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

Well said, Pete.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                  Two years ago, I spent a week on Kawaii, barely saw a patrol car, and NEVER came across a situation that I felt that I, my wife, and the other 2 couples (2 of her sisters and their husbands) were in danger of ANY harm or theft, nor was (were) any other person(s).

Isn't the point of vacation, ESPECIALLY when visiting Hawaii, to RELAX?! Why bother "packing" when you have your Speedo, flip-flops, and sun-block lotion?

I find it almost comical that one thread will get blown-up with comments of, "Work for free? S c r e w that noise! My feet go into my boots, pay goes into my account, d a m n ytte!", and the next thread is filled with comments of, "So, is 3 guns enough when going for ice cream on Main St at Disneyland, or should I stuff one up my a r s e as well?"

Yeah, yeah, I am going to get flamed...that's ok, I get it.
                  Hey man, agree with most of your post. Only issue I have is getting the image of you wearing a “Speedo” out of my head!

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post

Hey man, agree with most of your post. Only issue I have is getting the image of you wearing a “Speedo” out of my head!
                    You say that, here and now, but poolside....
                    "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                      You say that, here and now, but poolside....
                      OK, time for me to call my therapist now....

Comment

Before anyone asks:
                        - yes, I am Canadian;
                        - yes, I am retired;
                        - yes, I did have my revolver, pistol, rifle, or shotgun, on-target, of a human, during my career;
                        - - maybe 12 times in almost 35 years of operational experience;
                        - - my kid, with almost 12 years of operational experience, has had his firearms on-target of humans WAY more than me, and STILL has not taken a shot;
                        - no, I did not have to fire at said humans;
                        - - finished off lots of cats, dogs, deer, a goat, and a pot-bellied pig (the size of a VW Beetle);
                        - yes, I HAVE BEEN in a fight where I was concerned that my sidearm could have been used against me;
                        - - Boxing Day 1976. Not on-duty, but on-call. Was simply trying to take Christmas gift wrapping to the garbage dump. In full uniform, driving a fully-marked patrol vehicle (2WD Suburban). 2 "clients" drive by me - both prohibited from driving, vehicle not registered, both subjects known to be EXTREMELY violent, especially when drunk. Yes, they were drunk. Got them stopped, both attacked me. My coat was open. I was wearing a Sam Browne with S&W 10 revolver in a Level 0 holster (top flap with single stud, 360 degree pivoting). They fled. I followed, calling for assistance (partner was at the Christmas gift opening location, next Detachment was 30 minute legal-speed driving distance away). Ended up at their Gramma's house, with the WHOLE family there. Partner arrived. A relative talked them into surrendering. Things were said. Complaint was made. Charges went away;
                        - - several months later. Complaint of reckless driving outside of town. I was alone. Found vehicle returning to town. Same 2, plus more, pile out as I stopped them. Several punches and kicks received by me. Occupants fled. Some caught a short time later by my boss. I was transferred a month later, to a MUCH nicer area;
                        - yes, I have had "clients" that pointed their firearms at me, or my partners;
                        - - #1: drunk showed up at the office, when none of the 3 of us were on-duty, the 2nd guy was working elsewhere, the boss & his wife were in the attached married quarters, and I was in the back barracks room;
                        - - - bell rang, I open the doir, he's (sort-of) standing there, barrel is (sort-of) pointed towards me, I slam the door, re-open the door, he's on his back, I grab the gun and toss it aside, I grab him and drag him in, I close and lock the door, I drag him into cells, I secure the gun and then tell the boss, and the boss says let him sleep it off;
                        - - #2: partner and I pull up on the wrong side of what turns out to be a stolen car, operated by an escapee young offender, who had committed a series of home b&e's, who had already shot at our other partners and damaged a couple of patrol cars;
                        - yes, It have been shot at;
                        - - see #2 above, wherein my partner and ducked incoming "friendly fire" (spoiler alert: it ain't as fun as it sounds!). "Client" merely scratched by near-misses. 6 of us on-scene - none hit. Dog & master arrived later, tracked the kid. We all received commendation. I infrequently meet with one of the members whose .308 went JUST over my head - we laugh...now;
                        - yes, there ARE firearms-involved assaults here in Canada, but less than in the USA, even on a per-capita analysis.

Bottom line, relax on your time-off, days-off, and annual-leave.
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

I cary every where I go off duty.

I don't go lookng for any trouble and avoid problem areas off duty. No one has ever threatened me off duty.

But I do like being prepared for any possible plausible eventuality. Same reason I try to keep an extra quart of oil, radiator fluid, ham radio (it's a hobby also), bottled water, jumper cables etc.

Of all that the ham radio paid off once when the transmission went out in my truck.

Last edited by westside popo; 10-23-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
                            PeteBroccolo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Obviously you also carry your badge, but, do you also carry:
                            - handcuffs: especially as many as you do when on the pay-roll;
                            - body armour: soft and / or hard;
                            - Police identification vest: with your Agency's name on it;
                            - body-worn video recording system;
                            - less-likely-to-be-lethal options:
                            - - oleoresin capsaicin spray;
                            - - defensive baton: solid, side-handle, or collapsible;
                            - - conducted energy weapon: plus extra cartridges;
                            - liability insurance: Agency-, or personally-, provided
                            and if not, why not?

Given the greater chances of being held civilly, let alone criminally, liable that you USA Police and other armed Law Enforcement Officers face when ON-DUTY these days, why would you want to risk yourself OFF-DUTY?

Again, to each their own, and God-be-with-you my son, but you seem to be saying that you have NOT needed to be gatted, and while the ham radio did help you out once, it seems to me that a cell phone would have been as much, or more, help to you, unless you were in an area of poor to no coverage.

I had to be on-call "back in the day" when my Force did not pay us, nor even give us extra straight-time-off, for such dedication (check the dictionary - its half-way between dead and dumb), because that was how things were done then. Seems that was also the reason we had a lot of members that abused alcohol and could not maintain good relations with their significant others.

PeteBroccolo,

Re-read the second sentence old man!
                          No I don't carry handcuffs or less lethal devices with me off duty. When I'm off duty I'm off duty. But I am on call 24/7 due to my position in the department.
                          The only camera I carry with me is on my phone. However I wouldn't work on-duty with out a body camera. They saved me multiple times!
                          This may come as a shock to you but guns are legal here and law abiding citizens may cary a gun if they want too. I even encourage them to do so! It's our right to carry if we want to!
                          I also have a GA weapons carry licence even though I'm exempt. The exemption laws, even in recepicle states , appear more well defined than the federal LEOSA.

Cell phones are great but coverage isn't always great depending on the service provider. Ham radio will get through even if cell phone service is down.

Lastly I'm not your damn son!

Comment

• Rudy8116
                            Rudy8116 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            He won't get it.

• PeteBroccolo
                            PeteBroccolo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I do, kind-of, "get" it, but, for fawkseikezes, you are travelling to Paradise (except for, you know, volcanic activity, and major storms, lately), so why not let the local PS handle the crap?!

I acknowledge that there is a MAJOR difference in laws, history, and "rights", between the USA and Canada, and we have, kind-of, settled that whole War of 1812 dust-up.

Yeah, you're my kid...live with it!
                            Last edited by PeteBroccolo; 10-25-2018, 12:52 AM. Reason: Bad spelling...even accounting for translation into Canadianese!

Many years ago, I was conducting an in-service class on off-duty officer survival. There was a significant component emphasizing non-involvement, but acknowledgement that one might get forced into taking police action. This is especially true as many officers have take-home vehicles.
                          To pull up some "ripped from the headlines" examples, I went to the latest edition of the FBI LEOKA (1996, if I recall) to find examples of off duty officers being killed taking action. What shocked me was the number of UNARMED officers killed that year. One agency held a management seminar at a hotel and apparently none of the supervisors felt a need to carry a gun. The bad guy wearing body armor and carrying two guns apparently didn't read the equipment list. He killed a captain and a sergeant before being killed through some physical force. (That must have been an interesting report.)

An off-duty city police officer in North Carolina elected to pursue an armed robber who eventually turned and shot him to death.

An off-duty state trooper in New York tackled a supermarket robber armed with a shotgun. They crashed through a window, but the bad guy retained control of his weapon and murdered the trooper.

While I don't know what any of those officers were thinking, but I imagine they all felt there was no need to be armed. After all, nothing is going to happen. They should relax while off duty or attending training. I suspect when they considered being interviewed by detectives after "being a good witness",they decided to take action to apprehend a dangerous felon or to save their own life (if they survived).

I think of those officers whenever I hear or read a lecture abut how off-duty cops shouldn't carry guns.
                          John from Maryland

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11594 users online. 423 members and 11171 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X