300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio school resource officer used Taser to wake sleeping student: police

An Ohio school resource officer was placed on unpaid leave after activating a Taser to wake a sleeping student.

The Smithville Police Department said Officer Maryssa Boskoski, 32, was called to a classroom at the Liberty Preparatory School in Smithville on Aug. 30 to help wake a sleeping student. A teacher and the interim principal failed to stir the male student, who is a junior at the school.

Chief Howard Funk said Boskoski removed the cartridge from the Taser and “arced” it. Authorities said the sparking sound and noise from other students woke the napping student.

Jenna Parnell, the school's interim principal, said she was “stunned” by the incident. She said Boskoski did not give a warning before activating the Taser.

"I was a little surprised by it. Our interest is in the safety of our students so hearing that go off was a little alarming," Parnell told FOX 4 Now.

No probes were deployed and the teen was not injured.

Funk said he will meet with the Smithville solicitor to determine if any charges should be filed against the officer. He said Boskoski violated the “use of the Taser policy” and the incident could jeopardize her job.

"It's unfortunate and I'm disappointed that this took place. It's something I would not have expected from any of our officers," Funk said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/06...nt-police.html

Seriously?
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

I mean, I see nothing wrong with it personally. No contact was made. But this is 2018, you're in a school especially. Eyes everywhere. Probably not the best of moves considering you know for damn sure the teachers and school administration will throw you under first chance they get

Comment

Another news source lists her as a part time officer, so "former officer" may be her title after the next emergency meeting of the village council. A stupid move on her part.

Comment

I have two issues with this situation:

1. What would possess someone to deploy a taser, in a classroom full of kids, in a situation that doesn’t justify a taser?

2. When did police officers become responsible for dealing with administrative issues in schools?
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
          I have two issues with this situation:

1. What would possess someone to deploy a taser, in a classroom full of kids, in a situation that doesn’t justify a taser?

2. When did police officers become responsible for dealing with administrative issues in schools?
          Because teachers have lost control of the classroom. Absolutely no reason why SROs are being utilized for this or removing students from class (unless they are acting violently). Sometimes the SRO is going to just have to say no. Putting themselves in bad positions when stuff like this happens

Comment

• reils49
            reils49 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nailed it.

• Bing_Oh
            Bing_Oh commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of teachers losing control in classrooms, it's a problem across the board in society. Police have become universal "problem-solvers" for far too many people...and we're expected to do just that by politicians and administrators and too much of the public in general, even if there's no law enforcement issue.

Sure, the police should be there when someone doesn't know who else to turn to. But, when we're being called to someone's home to deal with a 5 year old's behavior issues, then we're dealing with much greater social and individual responsibility issues.

The SRO should NOT have even been approached by the teaching staff to become involved, and CERTAINLY should not have deployed her conducted energy weapon. Fire her immediately, maybe she can peel onions for McD.
          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
          "Smile" - no!

Comment

Back in the last century we'd carry ammonia inhalants for waking up sleepers. Never used one in a school but, as one of my professors said, "If the student falls asleep, wake up the teacher."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9224 users online. 373 members and 8851 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X