300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Bail what do you do?

So here is the scenario, you are in a car chase that comes to an end and the passenger bails. Do you pursue after them? If so why? What are the charges? My opinion is yes you pursue them if the resources are available. They easily could be fleeing and hide out to ambush you or solicit others to the scene (officer safety issues). Yet, legally unless there is some reason (not wearing a seatbelt, etc) you have no real reason to stop them. So what do you guys/gals do in this scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Stay with driver, numero uno IMHO. Then search the vehicle. Thats ONLY if its just you. Learned a long time ago, person fleeing may only run to get YOU away from the real bad, bad person.

Comment

Same as above. If your by yourself, stay with the vehicle and driver, let the passenger run. In further investigation, 9 out of 10 times you'll find out who the passenger was and maybe why they decided to run (drugs, warrants, etc.)

If you have other units, then let the chase begin.

I had a chase one time where the vehicle stopped and everyone bailed. I was by myself and backup was going to a shots fired call on the other side of the city and I chased the driver who later got away. When I returned to my vehicle, a passenger who bailed was waiting and the fight was on. I thought I was going to have to shoot him because he was high on PCP I think.

Learned my lesson.

Comment

When there's no back-up, I keep the driver entertained. The passenger gets away.
        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

I agree, the driver gets my full attention, especially if Im the primary in the chase. Backup guys can take off after the passenger if the situation is appropriate. Either way, it won't take much to figure out who the runner was.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Let the passenger bail but try not to get tunnel vision and just focus on the car and driver alone. Key word TRY. After a high speed chase or not so high speed your adrenaline is pumping so much it happens. But like the other posts state you have a good chance of getting the passengers name from the driver.
            Hopefully back up is close by.
            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Question would be "why are you chasing him?". Is it a rolling-stolen or a minor traffic infraction and he doesn't want to stop. Either way, the driver is the one with the immediate charges, let the passenger go rabbit. True, he probably has the dope but that's why he is in the passenger seat and not driving. They think these things out prior to hitting the road and they have procedures they follow. I think the days of the "dumb dope dealers" are about gone. They know our protocal and laws almost as well as us.
              I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

Like others said, if you're by yourself, stay with the driver because that's the one you've already got charges on. Now, if you have backup and they can catch the passenger, I'm sure you'll find something to arrest him on.

Comment

Originally posted by scannerson
                  So here is the scenario, you are in a car chase that comes to an end and the passenger bails. Do you pursue after them? If so why? What are the charges? My opinion is yes you pursue them if the resources are available. They easily could be fleeing and hide out to ambush you or solicit others to the scene (officer safety issues). Yet, legally unless there is some reason (not wearing a seatbelt, etc) you have no real reason to stop them. So what do you guys/gals do in this scenario?

Thanks in advance.
                  You have the right to control the subjects in the vehicle during a stop. If they are not cooperating (getting out and running) then they are resisting/delaying. Put out a description, direction of travel and reason for stop and let the cavalry go find the passenger as I am staying with the car. Who knows what the driver has or who else is still in the car.

Comment

As a rookie, I've chased the passenger before. After he jumped across a couple of fences, he got away. When I went back to the car, it was gone. No tag, no nothing. Lesson learned. Stay with the car/driver.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Stay with the car and driver, and with your running, unlocked patrol car.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

From a lesson learned the hard way a long time ago, stay with the driver. He is the one with all the charges. But also, BE AWARE OF THE PASSENGER!!!!!!! While you are dealing with the driver his buddy may come back. Remember, keep your head on a swivel.

Comment

Stay with the driver no matter what.

In case you ride double...make sure your partner knows your plan..so he doesn't take off after the passenger. Use your radio to put out a description and dof so others can play.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

+1 for staying with the driver.

If you have the resources there, someone needs to go after the passenger. The Supreme Court says in a high-crime area you can pursue a person who flees your mere presence, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be ok to chase someone fleeing from an actual crime scene.
                            "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

[QUOTE=scannerson]So here is the scenario, you are in a car chase that comes to an end and the passenger bails. Do you pursue after them? If so why? What are the charges? My opinion is yes you pursue them if the resources are available. They easily could be fleeing and hide out to ambush you or solicit others to the scene (officer safety issues). Yet, legally unless there is some reason (not wearing a seatbelt, etc) you have no real reason to stop them. So what do you guys/gals do in this scenario?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

Seeing a trend here?

Stay W/ Driver and the Car, Otherwise bad guy gets away in either his or YOUR rig.

Stay Safe
                              When your fun ends, my fun begins

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5313 users online. 269 members and 5044 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X