300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Morale at the Department

The morale here at the PD has been low now for about the past 2 years. A new Chief took over about 4 years ago. Before that the current Chief worked part-time for the dept for several years going on and off full-time employment as well. This Chief started out ok but now he only focuses on the negative. He is always threatening to terminate officers if they do not comply with his opinions. Yes I said opinions not policies. He writes memos and posts them on the roll call room board and if we don't sign it he threatens termination of employment and or "disciplinary action". He is always bad mouthing fellow officers behind their backs. Speaking of what they did wrong on a traffic stop or an arrest so on and so forth. Many times he doesn't even know what he is talking about. However, he never brings it to the officer's attention in which he is complaining about. Nine times out of ten the person(s) he is complaining about does more work than he can think about. The Chief spends more time trying to catch us violating policies than people breaking the law. To date the Chief has wrote two traffic citations and has three arrests and he is the one speaking of "lack of productivity". I know the Chief's job is to supervise his employees and enforce policies and procedures but that is not his only job.

There was a time an officer got written up for not completely filling out his logsheet. Which consisted of him not putting his ending mileage of the cruiser on his logsheet several diferent occasions. The Chief went around to other PD's and let them know how he had to write an "employee up". This officer was in court and was approached by one of the officers to which the Chief spoke to and asked him if he was going to appeal his "write up" on such a bs charge. At this time the officer did not know he was being written up. He went in and worked 3rd shift and received his write up the next morning.

I could go on and on for so many more paragraphs it is unbelievable. It just seems that the PD is never going to get any better. I just keep plugging away with eyes on my six at all times. I love this job and feel the dept needs help with leadership if you know what I mean. Does anybody out there have any legal advice for a small PD w/o any legal representation for the Chief coercing us into signing memos on what he wants without any real backing to his requests. The mayor advised he has an "open door" policy to bring forth any complaints that we feel is necessary but I dont like to go out of chain of command. Stuck in a rock and a hard place. We have a dept meeting coming up and would like any advice on how to handle the way he forces us to sign receipt of his memo stating we will do what he says or be terminated. I am just tired of always being forced to sign stuff I don't agree with but dont want to lose my job either. Any ideas or similar situations out there for the heavy badged chief?
    Yeah whatever!!!! Tell it to the judge!!!!

You need to organize:
    http://www.fopohio.org/

Comment

There was a time an officer got written up for not completely filling out his logsheet. Which consisted of him not putting his ending mileage of the cruiser on his logsheet several diferent occasions.
      Has he been filling in the mileage after the write up?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
        Has he been filling in the mileage after the write up?

Yea, he has been putting his ending mileage. However, the Chief sometimes fails to even turn in a log sheets at times. Very Do as I say not Do as I do.

Comment

Just some ideas:

1. You can start to document the issues you have talked about and any other future incidents. In case this gets worse and involves testimony in front of your city/county council.

2. You can send an anonymous letter to him, or if you want to screw someone else, sign their name to the letter.

3. Contact the FOP and see about starting a union, from the sounds of it you don't have one. Are you considered an "at will" employee? Which means you can be fired for cause. Specifically; any good reason to be terminated?

4. Bosses come and go, ride it out if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by Pintobean
            Just some ideas:

1. You can start to document the issues you have talked about and any other future incidents. In case this gets worse and involves testimony in front of your city/county council.

2. You can send an anonymous letter to him, or if you want to screw someone else, sign their name to the letter.

3. Contact the FOP and see about starting a union, from the sounds of it you don't have one. Are you considered an "at will" employee? Which means you can be fired for cause. Specifically; any good reason to be terminated?

I have documented most occasions and have audio recordings as well. Our dept has already had to testify against/for him about three months ago. The meeting derived from him telling a person about facts in an ongoing investigation that involved child molestation. To put it mildly the mother was upset that the general public knew about the complaint she filed. Also, audio recordings were played of him bad mouthing other officers and stating how the mayor is worthless. I mean this guy actually pointed his "gun finger" at a 13 year old female juvenile and acted like he shot her. Stating the best thing that could happen to her is to take her out into an open field and blow her brains out because she has no future. That statement blew me away. Nothing happened after the meeting, we basically put our heads out on chopping blocks. I didnt say everything I wanted to because of the retaliation that would occur after the fact. The Chief has one really good buddy on the council. He went and told him everything after the council meeting. It was executive session too. ????? The Chief needs mentally evaluated. Like I said I can go on and on and on ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Pintobean

#3 is good advice. If you can organize, do so. It won't change things in the short run, but you'll have representation when things go bad.

#4 is the best advice yet. There are bad bosses and good bosses, but at the end of the day, they're still the boss. Some of what you detailed is very bad behavior, bordering on criminal (openly discussing an on-going investigation). However, alot of your complaints are the kind of things that will back-fire on you when you make them public. We all know what all that chickensh*t does to a department, however the public will almost always back a Chief who disciplines his officers. The logsheet "violation" is the perfect example. To those of us who do this job, we understand exactly what you mean and why it is so frustrating. The general public, however, will say, "If that's the rule, then why wasn't it followed?" Especially when it comes to police officers.

Hang in there, keep your head up, and find motivation to do your job from within.
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

The chief has a boss.

Make sure, somehow, the chief's boss knows how the chief is received by his employees.
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Document everything the chief is doing. Get unionized. Get some wood on the chief - girlfriend on the side, doing personal errands on duty, using his department vehicle for personal use, using his department computers for personal use, drinking before off-the-clock time or when on call. Once you have all the dirt documented and in a secure, undisclosed location (only one guy should be the keeper of the records to prevent the chief finding it), find a way for the chief to find out that you have all this dirt on him. Next, drop a hint that it might become public information. Let the chief make the decision to back off. That way, it won't be blackmail because no demands or offers were made to him. Make sure all officers are on board, and watch your back around anyone who isn't 100% with you, because he will be the one to rat you out to his buddy the chief.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I probably shouldn't resort to this, but maybe its time the media knew what was going on.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info so far. I am on my way to joining FOP so we shall see how that goes. We here at the PD do need representation. Will let yall know how the "mandatory dept. meeting" goes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5762 users online. 329 members and 5433 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X