300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstNet

Has anybody here switched to FirstNet yet? If so, is it pretty much like being on plain, old AT&T right now?

https://www.firstnet.gov/

We received the offers for the service but I wouldn't touch it until it proven reliable and I didn't even look at the data prices.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

I haven't switched yet but have done the research. You won't notice any difference for the most part other than your phone will always get priority on the towers for both calls and data.

Comment

My agency has switched all Mi-Fis over to FirstNet and they seem to get a little better service than just plain ol AT&T which we had before. We also have the option of adding our personal cell phones to FirstNet through our agency. So far I have no complaints with it, I work in a large county so there will be dead spots but seems to be less since switching to FirstNet. I like the new routers that we got with it too since it has a 5G band and a 2.4G band.
        "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
        -Sun Tzu

Comment

some co-workers have switched. I'm going to switch over on my cell plan. so far they have all been happy.
          Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I've been doing a lot of research into it recently and there are some negative reviews out there, but its unclear if its just issues with ATTs network, or actual issues with FirstNet.

Also, despite daily ads on TV and radio from Verizon about supporting First Responders and how important they are, and how they are making their own network. It appears it is only available to business style accounts. Good lucky calling VZ customer service or going into a store and asking about it.

Comment

A lot of hype upon introduction, but I think it may fail.

Not impressed.
              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I'm kind of reviving a "dead thread" here, as it's been a while since I've actually used these forums lol. Just wanted to add some personal input, as I switched my personal cell service to firstnet a few months ago.

It should be noted that firstnet is a government contract, in which AT&T won the exclusive bid for. That being said, if you have AT&T already, DEFINITELY switch. I was skeptical as all hell, but my bill was ultimately cut in half. I also ended up with better service. You'll get unlimited talk, text, and UNTHROTTLED data in all of North America. I live near a Canadian border, so that's a huge selling point for me. Other than that, to be honest, I haven't really noticed too big of a difference.

If you're on any other network, I would check with someone who has AT&T already and see what their signal is like in the area before making the switch. If it's solid, I would say give it a go.

Comment

The rep I spoke with says you can be throttled if you go over 22 gigs. But they told me it was discretionary. Also they said I can't add any family on it so I stayed with my LEO Verizon business account.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                    The rep I spoke with says you can be throttled if you go over 22 gigs. But they told me it was discretionary. Also they said I can't add any family on it so I stayed with my LEO Verizon business account.
                    It may depend on your specific area I guess. What's funny is that each day coming in to work this week, there was a giant, baby blue truck with "AT&T" on it in our parking lot. The one day it was literally parked across our superintendent's and the two deputy chief spot's... I'm like, welp... this isn't going to go over well lmao.

I'm curious how they define "discretionary" company wide. It actually states on my bill "unthrottled data package". Also, to be honest, its hard to explain in concept. One of the guys asked me how family plans worked the other day, and I honestly couldn't tell him cause I had no clue. I asked the next day though, and they said technically your line would be "a separate line" and everyone else in the family would be all lumped together, but are afforded your LE discount.

My exact thoughts: "Ok... so... you couldn't have just made it easy by integrating family plans?"

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post

It may depend on your specific area I guess. What's funny is that each day coming in to work this week, there was a giant, baby blue truck with "AT&T" on it in our parking lot. The one day it was literally parked across our superintendent's and the two deputy chief spot's... I'm like, welp... this isn't going to go over well lmao.

I'm curious how they define "discretionary" company wide. It actually states on my bill "unthrottled data package". Also, to be honest, its hard to explain in concept. One of the guys asked me how family plans worked the other day, and I honestly couldn't tell him cause I had no clue. I asked the next day though, and they said technically your line would be "a separate line" and everyone else in the family would be all lumped together, but are afforded your LE discount.

My exact thoughts: "Ok... so... you couldn't have just made it easy by integrating family plans?"
                      The lack of family plan was the deal killer for me. Also the potential to get throttled and the vague answers they gave me.

Comment

The lack of family plan was the deal killer for me. Also the potential to get throttled and the vague answers they gave me.
                        Yeah I completely understand. I was skeptical at first about it too. If I didn’t already have a separate line from my girlfriend, and didn’t have AT&T already, I probably wouldn’t of even considered it.

Comment

FirstNet contract actually says if you go over 22 GBs for three consecutive months in a row, they will ask you to provide supporting documentation as to need (such as emergency event), otherwise they may move you to an AT&T civilian plan.

I have an AT&T 20 GB plan with 7 shared devices and I am hard pressed to ever exceed that despite streaming movies, music, and heavy data use. I went ahead and signed up for a FirstNet line using a dual SIM phone. So far, I consistently get better signal on my FirstNet account over my AT&T account which are both on the same phone.

With my set up, i get a strong signal at my home on my FirstNet and no signal at all on my AT&T. That alone has been worth it. The pro and the con of it is, I use wi-fi calling to maintain a signal on my AT&T account. So far, FirstNet has not offered wi-fi calling, but they may in the future.

Comment

Some of the guys I work with have it. Some love it, some got screwed over somehow by some of the sales reps. I considered it due to the low cost but something about it seemed too good to be true. If its still around next year I might switch.
                            "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

I switched to FirstNet from Sprint after a co-worker had only good things to say about it. He also pointed out several different environments here he had very strong service while I had little to no service. That, combined with the very low cost, got me interested. I was also concerned about the lack of a family plan so I spoke with a rep from AT&T who explained that the company offers 20% off standard AT&T service plans for FirstNet family members. He then offered me $750 off of a new Iphone XS max, so there you go.

I've had FirstNet for about two months now and couldn't be happier. I pay $45/mo for unlimited everything and tethering.

If you are interested in FirstNet, make sure you go to a corporate store and not an "authorized retailer."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10680 users online. 444 members and 10236 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X