Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance fraud training for LEOs in your state

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insurance fraud training for LEOs in your state

    Guys & gals,

    Long story short: I’m a former (full-time) LEO - still work part-time as a sworn LEO - who now works for an insurance company’s special investigative unit (SIU). I’m drafting a curriculum for a 6-hr advanced training class at a local police academy training LEOs how to investigate insurance fraud crimes in our state. As background, our state insurance department has sworn investigators, but there are too few of them to cover all but the most serious insurance crimes (but any LEO in the state can enforce these laws, and any county DA prosecute them).

    I realize insurance fraud isn’t as sexy as homicide, gangs, narcotics, etc, and not every LEO is chomping at the bit to work these cases - but for the ones willing to work these cases and seek training in this crime, do any of you LEOs have any suggestions on topics worth including in the curriculum beyond what I’ve listed at the bottom of this post? We SIU folks “think” we know all that the training should entail, but perhaps the LEO perspective could highlight topics we haven’t considered that’s worth including.

    The draft agenda we have thus far includes:
    1. Intro to state dept. of insurance fraud unit.
    2. Intro to state statutes related to insurance fraud.
    3. Intro to insurance SIUs and NICB, and resources they provide.
    4. Investigation of auto and property frauds.
    5. Investigation of health & medical frauds.
    6. Investigation of life and investment frauds (including elder financial exploitation).

    Any thoughts from y’alls perspective on anything we may have missed (or if you got randomly assigned one of these cases by your supervisor that you’d like to know)?
    Last edited by Kimble; 07-24-2018, 06:21 PM.
    sigpic

  • #2
    I would also cover something like “other commonly committed crimes” or “crimes some cops don’t know exist”.

    Sometimes we get wrapped up in the big picture, i.e. insurance fraud or grand larceny. But what about when we cannot make that case for lack of evidence, witnesses, complainant. How about charging Falsifying Business Records or Offering a False Instrument for Filing, both of which can be felonies (or your states equivalent)?
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

    Comment


    • #3
      What state? Might have an impact on content.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by reils49 View Post
        I would also cover something like “other commonly committed crimes” or “crimes some cops don’t know exist”.

        Sometimes we get wrapped up in the big picture, i.e. insurance fraud or grand larceny. But what about when we cannot make that case for lack of evidence, witnesses, complainant. How about charging Falsifying Business Records or Offering a False Instrument for Filing, both of which can be felonies (or your states equivalent)?
        That’s a good idea. For example, decent number of arson cases also involve insurance fraud, which could open up a variety of free resources to the LEO if they recognize the red flags of insurance fraud behind it and reach out to an SIU or NICB.

        Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        What state? Might have an impact on content.
        I’ll welcome feedback from any state since we’ll likely look to expand this beyond our own if it’s well-received by LEOs here. Many of us work for SIUs that cover multiple state territories.
        Last edited by Kimble; 07-24-2018, 07:10 PM.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          On another note, you should explain the possible assistance NICB, State insurance agencies or private companies can provide in some violent crime investigations. I’ve used them a few times.

          Although not insurance, I recently attended a similar course called Car Fax for LE and it was eye opening. And I’m not talking about pinching the local scammer for selling a salvaged car without a proper title ; violent crime, drug trafficking, serious property crimes.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by reils49 View Post
            On another note, you should explain the possible assistance NICB, State insurance agencies or private companies can provide in some violent crime investigations. I’ve used them a few times.
            That’s another great idea to include; thanks!
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Well...I’ll tell you. If it’s in CA, and not POST approved, it’s a waste of time for most cops. They won’t get sent by their agencies as training budgets are getting thin.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Well...I’ll tell you. If it’s in CA, and not POST approved, it’s a waste of time for most cops. They won’t get sent by their agencies as training budgets are getting thin.
                This training course is intended to be no-cost (i.e. free). We’re trying to develop allies in LE who have the skill sets to partner with us to tackle insurance fraud crimes, not make a profit.
                Last edited by Kimble; 07-25-2018, 11:06 PM.
                sigpic

                Comment

                MR300x250 Tablet

                Collapse

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 13706 users online. 500 members and 13206 guests.

                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                Welcome Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X