300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigations

I made my depts. detectives list last year and will be going to investigations on May 5th. I was wondering if anyone had good resource or access sites/training they would recommend.

thanks, scrubb
    “You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm.”

A good interview/interrogation course will be valuable, so matter which area you get assigned to. John Reid & Associates and Wicklander/Zulawski both have good courses. I know we have all of the Reid courses for 2007 listed on our events calendar at www.officer.com/calendar (or just click on the "Calendar" link at the top of this page).
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Does your unit have a copy of "Practical Aspects of Rape Investigation" by Hazelwood and Burgess?

Comment

Become well versed in computer investigations - particularly if you are bringing a younger, more internet savvy mind to a bit older of a table. You will find your skills would be well appriciated - even a basic web searching ability can give you a good edge.

Some good intelligence resources, while you're at it:

http://www.janes.com/
        http://www.fas.org/irp/index.html
        http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/default.asp?Item=34

And an especially useful resource regarding white supremacist Security Threat Groups, http://www.adl.org/learn/default.htm

I can comb through my bookmarks and find some more, but those are great basics.
        Against organized crime, internal affairs is my defensive hand; Intelligence officers are my offensive hand.
        The late William H. Parker, Chief LAPD 1950 - 1966
        |||
        Fir Na Dli

Comment

I'd buy the season DVD collection of CSI. Just tonight they got a murder suspect confess. Hell, I had a car theft suspect lawyer up. They are wonderful.
          On a serious note: The REID school is awesome and they offer several books (buy them) and attend every interview school you can. I have been the investigator for 3 yerars and still get stuck from time to time. Also, keep your chin up...invetsigations are tough and you will sometimes doubt yourself.

Comment

If you are required to wear coat and tie, make sure you wear your pistola when you are buying coats or having them tailored. Nothing like getting a jacket that fits just right before you put your gun on...wups.
            "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

A good online resource is called Accurint. See if your department has an account with them, if not, pursue in getting one.
              I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

Our department belongs to MOCIC and that investigative tool is very handy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4298 users online. 186 members and 4112 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X