300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "secondary offenses" ?

I really don't get the point of making traffic violations secondary offenses, if something is "dangerous" enough to have it a law why not enforce it to full extent?

In NJ it is a secondary offense to talk on a cell phone and drive, meaning an officer has to see you commit some other infraction before he can take action. Same thing when seat belt's became mandatory.

I just read an article on NJ.com about a town working on making smoking in a car with someone under the age of 17 a secondary offense crime.

Any other states have these?

We have similar laws in MO. For us all it means is we can't pull you over for the violation but if we have a primary violation we can and cite you for both.
    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Same in Vt. If you dont wear your seatbelt, we can't do anything. But if you smoke a red light and your not wearing a seatbelt, tickets for both.

A new law is trying to get approved that we can stop and write for cell phone use, eating, putting on makeup, and any other distraction that would hinder you from driving in a safe manner.

Weird up here.

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart45
        I really don't get the point of making traffic violations secondary offenses, if something is "dangerous" enough to have it a law why not enforce it to full extent?

In NJ it is a secondary offense to talk on a cell phone and drive, meaning an officer has to see you commit some other infraction before he can take action. Same thing when seat belt's became mandatory.
        To me, the cell phone violation makes sense as a secondary offense -- if somebody can drive safely while talking on the cell phone, why would an LEO write him/her a ticket? I think it's good judgment to charge for this offense on the numerous drivers that demonstrate the inability to talk and drive.

Comment

Damn, I hope to God they don't do that crap in Texas. I mean, why make something a violation but one you can't do anything about?? Half those offenses are PC for finding other things. That's like not being able to pull someone over for speeding until they finally change lanes without signalling. What a load of ka-ka.
          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Secondary Offenses?

I have never heard of that before. Here in New York, an offense is an offense and is PC for a Stop. Amazing how different States can be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5429 users online. 302 members and 5127 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X