300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifts

Between security and law enforcement, I've been doing 12's for over 10 years. I prefer 12's because you get more days off. One place I want to apply only does 8's and will probably never switch. I don't like 8's because you only get 2 days off, which really sucks unless you are on days 7a-3p. My question is, for guys who work 8's, how do you juggle work, personal, gym, and sleep?
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

8’s suck because of only 2 days off, but the shift goes by fast and you have more time off do do the gym and stuff every workday, my problem is communting eats up 2 hours a day, but still have time to get things done
    Last edited by SunDevil; 06-29-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I just got rolled to a five-8 shift after being away for almost 6 years. I don’t remember how I managed. I do t find much time to handle all that. My day consists of getting up at 5am and getting home around 6pm. (Traffic does not help in any way).
      semper destravit

Comment

I worked 12s in patrol for 8 years. I liked having a lot of time off, being able to take a week off and only use 2 days time. I feel like I saw my kids more on 12s. Granted I was an absentee father/husband on my work days, when you add in an hour of driving, getting held over or court. But a 3 day weekend every other weekend was great and I also miss my days off during the week. I gotta way more stuff done around my house on my Mon/Tues or wed/thurs pass days than my weekends.

I work 8s now and it took me a year to get used to it. It’s got some perks, namely 8 hours goes fast. I see my kids before I leave for work and we eat dinner together most nights. (I doesn’t hurt I’m now 10 minutes door to door). But I don’t get to go on field trips or read to the class, because I’m mostly Monday- Friday. And that sucks sometimes because my weekends are spoken for by the wife usually a week in advance. So now, my time is their time... every weekend.

I have a hard time finding time to mow the lawn, let alone tile my basement floor, and just because she claims your days off, doesn’t mean the complaints stop.

The first time I took a week off and saw 40 hours deducted from my bank was a shock.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, because some of it has nothing to do with 8 vs. 12s, but patrol vs. investigations. If you want to talk about negative impact on your time off... put a suit on.

I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

It could always be worse. You could work 5/10s with only 2 days off.

Comment

• reils49
            reils49 commented
            Editing a comment
            How does that work? Built in overtime?

• RGDS
            RGDS commented
            Editing a comment
            Isn’t this the border patrol schedule? I’ve heard the USBP is not an agency to work at if you like getting off on time or for being paid for work done.

• SHU
            SHU commented
            Editing a comment
            It's the worst of all worlds. We work 5/10 but get paid 50 hours of straight pay. Obama didn't care for la migra so he took away our ability to earn FLSA. But we still work it %$#@^*. Our attrition is going through the roof and 1k plus may retire at the end of the year so time off will get even harder to get. I've been applying here and there and hopefully will escape soon but it's tough because I have so many years in the system I have to stay with the fed retirement so I'm limited.

When I first got into law enforcement, I worked 12 hour shifts; three on, three off...... which was perfect for a single guy because your days off would be a string of weekends for a while. I liked that, except I'd date and run around so much I was always broke!

Then when I went to the motorcycle squad where we worked 4 ten hour days with weekends off....... because there were no school zones to monitor on the weekends. My last seven years working commercial vehicle enforcement, I still got to work 4 ten hour days with weekends off because most of the destinations for the big rigs along the ship channel were closed on Saturday and Sunday.

I was spoiled for sure. Almost my whole career I had weekends off.
          If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Best schedule I worked was 11 hour shifts 4 on 4 off.

Comment

My first 5 years on LASD the dept. was on a 4 on 2 off schedule..Days off were different every week..My first few years in patrol we had a scheduling sgt. that was a idiot...every month you were on a different shift...PM, Days, Graveyard, 1900-0300..Didn't matter how much time you had on the dept.

Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                My first 5 years on LASD the dept. was on a 4 on 2 off schedule..Days off were different every week..My first few years in patrol we had a scheduling sgt. that was a idiot...every month you were on a different shift...PM, Days, Graveyard, 1900-0300..Didn't matter how much time you had on the dept.
                I prefer my current schedule.......................................... If I want to work I schedule myself to work. If I don't want to work I schedule someone else to work.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm going the opposite way: Most of my career I've been working the typical M-F 8-5 schedule. Now I'm on 10-hour days, 5 on/3 off for about 3 weeks, then 4 on/4 off for about a month.On my '4s' days off always fall across a weekend. I thought it'd be hard to adapt to the longer days, but they tend to go by quickly because we're generally busy for most of the shift. The best part of it is being able to take 12 days off but only having to burn 40 hours of vacation.

Comment

I have worked 12s most of my adult life, which can seem like you have NO life while on your work cycle... I also worked 6/3 8's and 4/10s
                    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                    DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                      My question is, for guys who work 8's, how do you juggle work, personal, gym, and sleep?
                      Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. A beat wife and a handpack radio with extra batteries.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11777 users online. 384 members and 11393 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X