300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Night's LAPD Pursuit

Last Night LAPD had a lengthy pursuit in the San Fernando Valley. What was noteworthy about this event is that LAPD performed the PIT maneuver and spike stripped the suspect vehicle several times, but it was like the energizer bunny and just kept on going and going, albeit at slow speeds. I am informed (but haven't confirmed) that LAPD took out eight of its own vehicles doing the PIT.

At the end of the pursuit, LAPD seemed to just give up and let the suspect drive slow speed circles around them. The interesting part was that this seemed to enrage the citizens and papar***i to such an extent, that they jumped in and took over, circling the suspect with their expensive vehicles, constantly blocking his path and keeping him from getting away while LAPD just stood down and let the citizens do their work for them.

I was embarrassed for LAPD and imagined if Charlie Beck was watching this on TV, he was probably on the phone to the Van Nuys or West Valley watch commander screaming to get what was left of his units in there and put an end to this farce. But at the same time I was proud of the citizens who were saying, "I won't let my cops be defeated like this," and jumped in there to help put a stop to things.

The below video is long. The most entertaining part starts at the 54 minute mark.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

It’s embarrassing, but I kinda get it too. Nobody wants to be the guy who does the right thing and ends the pursuit, only to get screwed by the job for not following regulations or worse: indicted/sued/career ruined for a use of force complaint that ends up on the news.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

What is this "pursuit" thing you speak of?

Comment

Probably another media example of why we don’t need LE as citizens can do it when needed... Without hurting the suspect.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

So their techniques failed. Their policies failed. Are any officers going to be written up or fired?

Whats the Police Commission’s super transparent and independent fair and balanced opinion?
          semper destravit

Comment

That it was done with courtesy, respect, and per PERF 21.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
              It’s embarrassing, but I kinda get it too. Nobody wants to be the guy who does the right thing and ends the pursuit, only to get screwed by the job for not following regulations or worse: indicted/sued/career ruined for a use of force complaint that ends up on the news.
              My buddy, a Captain, called me in the middle of the chase just beside himself. Our common thought was, LAPD has no push bars, which was resulting in considerable damage to their vehicles and putting them out of commission. If for a moment they could do the unthinkable, put department pride aside and have called us, we would have sent one of our units. We have a "more liberal" pursuit and PIT policy. We have push bars on our units that minimize damage, and what damages that do result from the PIT maneuver are deemed to be "Operational;" or simply the cost of doing business and where no one is at fault. One of our units would have quickly brought the suspect vehicle to a halt . .

Comment

L-1,

SO or CHP?

Comment

• L-1
                  L-1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh come now, the Shadow Man knows all.

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
                So their techniques failed. Their policies failed. Are any officers going to be written up or fired?

Whats the Police Commission’s super transparent and independent fair and balanced opinion?
                They probably went into the "Maniac has responded with a scornful remark" mode. (Perhaps the movie Demolition Man has a harbinger of the future.)

Comment

• reils49
                  reils49 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  “We’re Police Officers. We’re not trained to handle this level of violence.”

• RGDS
                  RGDS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I should laugh, but I agree. That movie is literally training material for field training. “Add the words ‘or else’”

Here's another high-speed pursuit:

Comment

True.

SO would have been that much faster...

The Shadowman.

Comment

We’ve introduced strict pursuit policies over the years and there have been a number of incidents where members of the public are chasing cars after we stop and using their vehicles to force the offenders to stop.

Must be nice only having to comply with legislation and not a huge book of policy.

Comment

I watched that pursuit and it was absolutely pathetic that LAPD allowed it to go on for so long...
                      Retired LASD

Comment

My favorite part of a LAPD/LASD pursuit is when CHP takes over. All the CHP jokes aside, they are absolutely the masters of pursuits. I've seen them do everything from ram drivers off the road and into a ditch to playing ping pong back and forth with a suspect vehicle.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10859 users online. 413 members and 10446 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X