Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proof we are responsible for our actions but citizens are not.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof we are responsible for our actions but citizens are not.

Read both articles.

Broward cop charged with vehicular homicide
    BY JENNIFER MOONEY PIEDRA
    [email protected]
    A Fort Lauderdale police officer has been charged with one count of vehicular homicide after his marked police cruiser struck and killed a pedestrian last year.

Alexander Griss, an officer since 2005, is out on bond and will be placed on administrative leave from the department indefinitely.

On June 19, Griss was driving southbound in the 2100 block of South Federal Highway when Althea Tobias McKay stepped into the lane of traffic and was struck by Griss' cruiser.

Griss, who was off-duty, was traveling up to 91 mph -- more than twice the 40 mph speed limit -- when he struck McKay, according to an affidavit filed by Fort Lauderdale investigators. The force of the crash threw McKay 102 feet, officials said.

McKay, 39, of Lauderdale Lakes, died at the scene.

Griss was placed on administrative leave as the investigation continued.

Police and the Broward State Attorney's Office recently concluded their investigation into the accident and decided to charge Griss.

On Monday, the officer turned himself in.

BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. -- A 22-year-old man who hit and killed a Broward Sheriff's Office deputy while he was conducting a traffic stop on Interstate 595 has been charged with driving on a suspended license, but he will not be charged with vehicular homicide.

Valdo Vega has also been cited for careless driving and operating a vehicle with unsafe equipment, but prosecutors said Wednesday there was insufficient evidence to charge him with vehicular homicide.

In February, Seguin stopped a car traveling westbound shortly after 9 p.m. and was standing outside his unmarked car when Vega's Toyota Camry drifted into the emergency lane and hit him, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Pat Santangelo said.

Vega tested negative for drugs and alcohol, though he did have a suspended license for failing to pay a speeding ticket, FHP officials said.

Originally posted by POPO-FLA
    Read both articles.

[email protected]
    A Fort Lauderdale police officer has been charged with one count of vehicular homicide after his marked police cruiser struck and killed a pedestrian last year.

Alexander Griss, an officer since 2005, is out on bond and will be placed on administrative leave from the department indefinitely.

On June 19, Griss was driving southbound in the 2100 block of South Federal Highway when Althea Tobias McKay stepped into the lane of traffic and was struck by Griss' cruiser.

Griss, who was off-duty, was traveling up to 91 mph -- more than twice the 40 mph speed limit -- when he struck McKay, according to an affidavit filed by Fort Lauderdale investigators. The force of the crash threw McKay 102 feet, officials said.

Police and the Broward State Attorney's Office recently concluded their investigation into the accident and decided to charge Griss.

BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. -- A 22-year-old man who hit and killed a Broward Sheriff's Office deputy while he was conducting a traffic stop on Interstate 595 has been charged with driving on a suspended license, but he will not be charged with vehicular homicide.

Valdo Vega has also been cited for careless driving and operating a vehicle with unsafe equipment, but prosecutors said Wednesday there was insufficient evidence to charge him with vehicular homicide.

In February, Seguin stopped a car traveling westbound shortly after 9 p.m. and was standing outside his unmarked car when Vega's Toyota Camry drifted into the emergency lane and hit him, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Pat Santangelo said.

Vega tested negative for drugs and alcohol, though he did have a suspended license for failing to pay a speeding ticket, FHP officials said.
    It's a crying shame the guy who killed the cop was not charged with vehicular or reckless homicide. However. If the news story is correct about the speed of the off-duty officer I have no sympathy for him. He should be charged with homicide.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

91 in a 40... there is the reason he was charged with VH. Sounds like he deserves to be jailed for a very long time.
      "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

three different newspapers three different speeds reported. And he wasn't off duty. I don't know how fast he was driving but I am just annoyed that so many officers are killed the same way and no one is punished. But let an officer have an accident and the world comes down on him. It's a lousy situation all around.
        Last edited by POPO-FLA; 04-10-2007, 04:35 PM.

Comment

We are all scrutinized because its our job to enforce the laws not break them. 91 in a 40 is outrageous and he should be charged.

What really sucks is the Taylorsville Utah police officer being charged for killing a driver of another vehicle while running code-3 (lights and sirens) to get spike strips set up ahead of a chase.
          The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

This is a difficult situation for all involved, I pray for peace, comfort and reconcilliation for everyone affected by this incident.
            I Peter 2:13 “Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; (14) Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.” Visit 10-4 Ministries

Comment

Just more of the same. Cops have little respect ...... even within the justice system now. POG (piece of garbage) that hit the cop should go away for a long time. Need more to the story, but it sounds like the cop was way wrong. I'm sure if he was running code, it would have said.
              "Socrates was a philosopher. He talked a lot. They killed him." unknown to me.

"Evil prevails when good men do nothing."

Comment

It's a combination of both, we have little respect - and are held to a higher standard. God forbid we hold Joe Civilian to a higher standard, that would just be asking too much.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

with everyone being so sue happy these days nobody but us will be held to a higher standard.. period.

Comment

Well Mabey once court rolls around and all the facts are heard, he may onbly be guilty of wreckless driving or driving to fast for conditions. Or mabey an unknown car in the other lane failed to dim their head lights and he could not see the pedestrian wondering around in the road and he wasent at any fault what so ever.. I hope he gets a good attorney to make sure he isnt screwed over.
                    Last edited by DeputySC; 04-14-2007, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I actually remember the story of the guy that hit the PO and killed him. He was conducting a traffic stop on a major expressway in an unmarked car and it was dark. The at-fault driver alegedly swerved to avoid a sideswipe crash and hit the PO. As far as his suspended DL, its not criminal if the driver was unaware of the suspension (which all drivers automatically claim when questioned). In a situation like this, even if the State Attorney's office went after him, based on these facts that were reported it would have been hard to get a conviction.

As far as the PO being charged with vehicular homicide, we've all sped to get somewhere (sometimes for no reason at all) and deep down inside we all know the consequences of our actions. Hopefully he was "pacing" someone when the unfortunate accident occurred
                      Last edited by LeanG; 04-14-2007, 08:51 AM.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Homicide?

Originally posted by pujolsfan146
                        It's a crying shame the guy who killed the cop was not charged with vehicular or reckless homicide. However. If the news story is correct about the speed of the off-duty officer I have no sympathy for him. He should be charged with homicide.
                        Maybe Flordia is different. In Va speed alone isnt enough for that charge. Manslaughter due to gross negligence but how is that homicide? Anyway there is and always has been a double standard. Id also like to know how that got that exact speed "91". I thought you could only get the lowest possible speed on crash reconstructions. We had a guy here while on duty in his cruiser going to assist another officer on a domestic related call hit an older couple who ran a stop sign and they couldn't even prove twenty over and the Commonwealth still is trying to go after him for the same type charge. Politics plays hell with this job. Im sorry that a person died though. Would anyone be able to stop at night if a pedestrian ran out into the traffic lane of a highway? I doubt it, 90mph or not. If there is evidence that he couldnt have been going any less than 90 then he should be charged with Manslaughter due to gross speeds. If he was on a highway Id dare to say on any highway he couldnt have been doing less than 65 and if that's the case your out of your mind if you think anyone could reasonably avoid hitting somebody on a highway at night even going the speed limit. You guys will make good administrators. Keep the faith.
                        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Traveling up to 91mph

Originally posted by POPO-FLA
                          Read both articles.

[email protected]

Since when has the news report ever been accurate? How does a news rag know the speed?
                          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG
                            I actually remember the story of the guy that hit the PO and killed him. He was conducting a traffic stop on a major expressway in an unmarked car and it was dark. The at-fault driver alegedly swerved to avoid a sideswipe crash and hit the PO. As far as his suspended DL, its not criminal if the driver was unaware of the suspension (which all drivers automatically claim when questioned). In a situation like this, even if the State Attorney's office went after him, based on these facts that were reported it would have been hard to get a conviction.

As far as the PO being charged with vehicular homicide, we've all sped to get somewhere (sometimes for no reason at all) and deep down inside we all know the consequences of our actions. Hopefully he was "pacing" someone when the unfortunate accident occurred
                            Yes it was dark and on the highway but he was in a marked unit lights on. Trust me on this I was at the funeral and his father is retired from my department. The investigation revealed no skid marks or other evidence to support the claim that he swerved or braked to avoid a collision. And his DL was suspended with court notification for a long time.
                            Last edited by POPO-FLA; 04-15-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va
                              Maybe Flordia is different. In Va speed alone isnt enough for that charge. Manslaughter due to gross negligence but how is that homicide? Anyway there is and always has been a double standard. Id also like to know how that got that exact speed "91". I thought you could only get the lowest possible speed on crash reconstructions. We had a guy here while on duty in his cruiser going to assist another officer on a domestic related call hit an older couple who ran a stop sign and they couldn't even prove twenty over and the Commonwealth still is trying to go after him for the same type charge. Politics plays hell with this job. Im sorry that a person died though. Would anyone be able to stop at night if a pedestrian ran out into the traffic lane of a highway? I doubt it, 90mph or not. If there is evidence that he couldnt have been going any less than 90 then he should be charged with Manslaughter due to gross speeds. If he was on a highway Id dare to say on any highway he couldnt have been doing less than 65 and if that's the case your out of your mind if you think anyone could reasonably avoid hitting somebody on a highway at night even going the speed limit. You guys will make good administrators. Keep the faith.

Our department, for officer safety purposes of course, has full gps tracking and logging in our vehicles. They know where we are and how fast we are going at all times. Unfortunately this gps log is public record and when the city management got ahold of it somehow it was leaked to the paper. Big suprise. Amazingly no one has ever been saved by the damn gps. It seems that it is only being used to discipline officers. So these days when I am sent code three it looks pretty funny to see my lights and siren going as I cruise down the street at 40mph no matter what the call. If I get there late and someone gets hurt, oh well, I am not going to risk going to jail and losing my family. The only time I drive all out anymore is to back up another officer. Thats the only time I feel the risk is worth taking. And you were right that speed alone is not proof of reckless driving, I have lost in court due to that case law. Apparently though when you are a cop it is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6460 users online. 352 members and 6108 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X