300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve Officer shoots his 5 year old child

Sorry I do not have the link. I am kind of surprised that it is not on the front page of O.com. It happened in a rural county here in E. TN. The story was that he was cleaning his Glock, or "getting his weapon ready for inspection", when the gun fired and the round struck the 5 year old girl in the stomach, then went through the wall of the home. Someone with the Department he works for stated that his weapon did not have a "chamber loaded indicator". I am not sure what that is. The kid was rushed to the hospital, and at last report is coming along Ok. Please remember the family and the daughter in your prayers. And remember, "ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED". Also in the story, it says that he had "40 hours of training" to become a Reserve Officer. Is this normal? This IS NOT a Reserve vs. Full time argument. Please do not turn it into that. I was a Reserve for my Dept. for a short time before I went fulltime about 10 yrs ago. I remember we had about 200 hours of training before we were allowed to work. It just seems that 40 hours is a short time and not alot of training for the important jobs that Officers do. Once again, PLEASE do not turn this into an argument. Be careful.

I hope the little girl will OK. Thoughts and prayers for her.
    WTF was he thinking? Reserves with my dept. have to go through a 160 hr reserve academy before hitting the streets. In that academy during firearms training they stress gun safety. RULE # 1 TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED. RULE #2 KEEP YOUR FINGER OUTSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL YOU ARE ON TARGET AND HAVE DECIDED TO FIRE. RULE #3 POINT THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION AT ALL TIMES. RULE #4 BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT. Apparently they didn't teach him that.
    As far as the "loaded chamber indicator" goes there are weapons that have a way of knowing if there is one "in the pipe". I'm not sure how guns have them but I know the new S&W M&P's have a little hole on the top of the slide that allows you to see the round. Again I hope the little girl makes a full recovery.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Hope the child is okay. He must feel awful. I have cleaned guns at home myself, but I always (ALWAYS), triple double triple check that rounds don't go with the gun to the cleaning table.

Never get complacent with a firearm.
      "Socrates was a philosopher. He talked a lot. They killed him." unknown to me.

"Evil prevails when good men do nothing."

Comment

Loaded chamber indicators are located on the top of our slides just to the right of the sight. When a round is chambered, a piece of the slide protrudes from the sight and is red in color. This is not a reliable indicator and hard to feel at times, especially in cold weather when your hands may be numb. Even if you're 100% sure it's unloaded, you better check again...what a sad story!!!

Comment

I HOPE that little girl is OK.

Col COOPER says;

#1 ALL GUNS ARE AWAYS LOADED

#2 KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU SIGHTS ARE ON TARGET AND YOU HAVE DECIDED TO SHOOT

#3 NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

#4 BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET, AS WELL AS THE SURROUNDINGS

Any word on the status of the Res. Off or his KID?
          When your fun ends, my fun begins

Comment

If the moron pulled the trigger on his gun while it was pointed at his kid, I doubt that a "loaded chamber indicator" would have done any good.

Comment

Originally posted by scratch13
              Hope the child is okay. He must feel awful. I have cleaned guns at home myself, but I always (ALWAYS), triple double triple check that rounds don't go with the gun to the cleaning table.

Never get complacent with a firearm.
              Absolutely. I rack my slide back numerous times after I take at the magazine and look into the chamber. When I say numerous I mean about 7 or 8 times. I believe paranoia is a good thing when it comes to certain areas.
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                If the moron pulled the trigger on his gun while it was pointed at his kid, I doubt that a "loaded chamber indicator" would have done any good.
                Same thoughts on the matter.
                Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.wsmv.com/news/11588603/detail.html

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=6342273

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=44039

"He said everytime he shuts his eyes, he sees it, sees the bullet hit her, and he's crying, tears in his eyes and everything," Cook says."
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                    Wow. I actually agree with Frank.

Comment

Dang that's to bad. Their family will definately be in my prayers. I hope they can all recover from this.

And amen! To the rest of the gun safety posts. Come on around your family you have to be in total control.
                      The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

shame on him...

and yes i have the same paranoia as one of the posters. i always rack the slide like 4 or 5 times to make sure it's empty... even if i just did it like 2 mins ago.

40 hours of reserve training? wow.. what could they learn in that much time... what do full timers go through over there?

reserve training :
                        mon - academics
                        tue-driving
                        wed-shooting
                        thurs-defensive tactics
                        fri- PT
                        sat- graduate.

sheesh. i went through 980 hours of academy training along with another 400 hours of field training..

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146
                          Absolutely. I rack my slide back numerous times after I take at the magazine and look into the chamber. When I say numerous I mean about 7 or 8 times. I believe paranoia is a good thing when it comes to certain areas.
                          i'm the same way. even if it looks clear i lock the slide back, stick my finger in there and make sure i can see it while looking through the front of the barrel. you can never do too many checks on a gun that requires you to pull the trigger to break it down. that i my biggest problem with the use of glocks for law enforcement because let's face it, not all cops are experts when it comes to guns.
                          -Sean

Comment

Originally posted by SMPPD87
                            not all cops are experts when it comes to guns.
                            No kidding, and that's hundreds of hours of training, not 40.

40 hours of training? Who was it Ponch or Weeman?

Comment

Understand the thought of him being a moron but I wouldnt wish that on anybody. I dont know what I would do if that happened to one of my kids. I can only hope this guy goes for some kind of help. I think he has suffered enough.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5254 users online. 301 members and 4953 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X