Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like, out there for crime, these days?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it like, out there for crime, these days?

Please indulge this old timer's question...when I started in 1976, credit card fraud and forged checks were a big thing. It's all done by a computer, these days. Burglaries always had the bad guy(s) stealing the "portable" TV...today, stealing a wall-mounted TV will result in a work comp claim, but computers, tablets and phones are the popular items to take. In the 80's I remember Blaupunkt car stereos being the frequent prey of car burglars - do people even take car stereos anymore, since all people do is play their phones through their car's stock radio?

What are you guys doing crime wise, these days?
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Southern California (big city but not LA):
    Property crime:
    Credit card theft/fraud still big issues. As is Identity theft. But because most of that can be corrected by the bank it is under reported and not heavily investigated. We do find card making machines in dope houses every now in then and people have card skimmers on gas stations. Check fraud is pretty rare as checks are in decline. Maybe one in progress call each month in my division at a bank or check cashing place. A lot of the flyers that come out are for suspects using stolen credit cards and caught on video. I jokingly call detectives "video recovery agents" because there are so many cameras out there now a lot of cases are made off of that.

Vehicle burglary is out of control. I don't think in my 11 years I have taken a stereo theft. GPS devices replaced the the stereo as the car item to steal (in addition to cell phones and purses) as well as firearms. Most of the cars are just unlocked, but we have had several series where the suspects have electronic unlocking devices that hack into the keyless entry. Power tools/construction equipment are also big items to take. Every tweaker house I have been into has like ten of them, obviously stolen.

In residential burglaries suspects still heavily hitting jewelry/cash/small electronics. TV's not so much as you suspected.

After cash, Cell phones are probably the main target of all crime. Street robberies, shoplifts, car burgs, etc cell phone is the #1 item taken. You can get cash for them pretty quick. High end bike theft is bad too. Calif LE in general is not good about putting bike serial numbers into the CLETS APS system.

Shoplifting is a problem still. People will take anything. But we also have "organized retail crime" where people go after specific things they have orders for or resell. Victoria's Secret, Lego's, high end clothing, etc. They use "booster" bags to conceal the items and have a team of people to do the theft. A lot of it here is cross border crime where the items are sold in Mexico.

Bank robberies are pretty rare and it's usually a transient who wants to go to jail or just doesn't care if they get caught.

Transient crime is very high. The bums are taking over the state and do all kinds of thefts of opportunity.

Motorcycles are the hot vehicle to steal.

Violent crime:

The mental health cases are possibly the biggest issue right now. I have guys making more 5150 detentions than arrests (and not by choice). Gangs are nothing like they used to be, but they still have their skirmishes. Domestics are down after we started taking everyone to jail (thanks OJ).

Narcotics violence is on the rise with MJ. Dispensaries getting robbed and delivery drivers being pistol whipped in on the rise. And people are still fighting over who owes money over meth/coke/heroin. Dope is probably my biggest issue now. All the crimes up top are mostly from dopers.

211 estes (shoplifts turned into robberies) are on the rise it seems. More people are willing to challenge and fight loss prevention agents.

Comment

• shortyj
      shortyj commented
      Editing a comment
      We had 2 bank robberies just this month...same guy too most likely. I give him props for getting away twice LOL.

Also we don't mess with pawn shops very much anymore. Most of the stolen stuff is on the web or sold person to person. Though I bet the jewelry still goes to pawn shops, but since it's not serialized there isn't much we can do.

Elder theft is also high. People from out of the country will scam older people with shocking ease, no matter how much education we do.

It's probably not that much different I bet. Criminals and LE both just have more technology on each side.

Also I think I have seen only a few brazen purse snatches or pick pockets in my career. Why bother when people just leave stuff in their car?
    Last edited by nobodyjr; 04-28-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

There have always been gangs, but violent gangsterism seems only to be further enmeshing itself into the urban landscape.

And it seems to be global in sprawl. I spent a few weeks in South Africa last year, training with the SAPS DPCI Hawks in Cape Town. In the Flats section of the city, the police have largely lost control of large swaths to gangs with names like 'The Americans' and 'The 45s'. Every day averages 4-5 homicides and 20-30 shootings. The members are mostly teens, some as young as 11 or 12. These kids all grew up in the same neighborhoods, went to school together, and then become immersed in gangsterism. When one of them ventures into rival territory, he risks his life. I saw cellphone videos of 14 to 15 year olds sitting against a wall, surrounded by rivals, smiling like "hey, it's me, the kid you knew in 1st grade" when out comes a pistol and several head shots. The gruesome videos get posted online and the horrific pattern repeats itself when members from the shooting gang get trapped by their enemies.

The same elements that breed gangsterism in the United States were ubiquitous in South Africa: blight and extreme poverty, easy money from selling drugs, criminal organizations awash in guns, breakdown of the nuclear family and the social fabric in general. The conditions were really no different than Detroit (except for Table Mountain and the penguins swimming nearby in the south Atlantic.)

When a police officer tells you to stay in the car, you stay in the car.

-Reese Witherspoon

Comment

The Ol’ Craigslist beatdown/theft is very common.

A buyer will respond to an ad for an item and ask to meet up. When the seller shows up, the buyer and their henchmen will beat them down and take their stuff.

In the case of vehicles, the buyer will ask to see the car, typically at the residence of the car owner. Then they will come back later and steal it.

Subway snatch and grabs are very common too. Someone will be sitting on the subway texting on their phone with zero situational awareness and just as the subway car doors are about to close the perp will snatch the phone out of their hand and out the doors of the subway car, leaving the victim empty handed.

Ive seen and heard of some other creative ways but those are the most common cases of theft aside from shoplifiting.

Gang violence is ramping up across the country, especially in my neck of the woods. MS-13 is increasing in violence. Just a couple months ago they found a dismembered couple on a bike path. It was later discovered that this bike path is used for MS-13 initiations.

Synthetic Heroin and meth are the cheap highs, so you’ll see a lot of that on busts. It’s cheap to make and incredibly dangerous, so overdoses have skyrocketed. Fentanyl is dangerous to the touch and you could overdose by skin exposure.

Other than that, you still have the thefts, murders, white collar crimes that you did back when you were on the job. The landscape is changing, but the root of the crime is still there.

My favorite story was a couple years ago a couple got arrested for a “Jello” scam. They were buying tons of boxes of jello, taking out the jello mix and replacing it with little bags of corn starch, sealing them back up, and returning them to the store. At $1.09 per box, I can’t imagine it was a get rich quick scan.

Retired or not, keep your head on a swivel and be safe.
        Last edited by BP3; 04-28-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Oh another one that probably hasn't changed: alcohol related crime and violence. DUI's are slowly declining with UBAR/Lyft becoming more useful than cabs, but for some reason the death rate isn't dropping a lot. And guys are still hitting each other with beer bottles cause someone bumped into them or talked to their woman.

I think the biggest changes I will see in my lifetime are going to be related to cars. They are harder and harder to steal, and as self driving cars become the norm, DUI's and crashes will plummet. Honestly, I think CHP has a shelf life that has an expiration date in my lifetime (but not in my career).

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
            There have always been gangs, but violent gangsterism seems only to be further enmeshing itself into the urban landscape.

And it seems to be global in sprawl. I spent a few weeks in South Africa last year, training with the SAPS DPCI Hawks in Cape Town. In the Flats section of the city, the police have largely lost control of large swaths to gangs with names like 'The Americans' and 'The 45s'. Every day averages 4-5 homicides and 20-30 shootings. The members are mostly teens, some as young as 11 or 12. These kids all grew up in the same neighborhoods, went to school together, and then become immersed in gangsterism. When one of them ventures into rival territory, he risks his life. I saw cellphone videos of 14 to 15 year olds sitting against a wall, surrounded by rivals, smiling like "hey, it's me, the kid you knew in 1st grade" when out comes a pistol and several head shots. The gruesome videos get posted online and the horrific pattern repeats itself when members from the shooting gang get trapped by their enemies.

The same elements that breed gangsterism in the United States were ubiquitous in South Africa: blight and extreme poverty, easy money from selling drugs, criminal organizations awash in guns, breakdown of the nuclear family and the social fabric in general. The conditions were really no different than Detroit (except for Table Mountain and the penguins swimming nearby in the south Atlantic.)
            I thought PAGAD cured the crime problem...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

SMALL county Midwest

Our investigators are hard at work with Burglaries. Mostly drug related .
              Meth sucks big time & they will do anything for their fix.

Our sex abuse investigators have a heavy load. People suck

Child Protective Services investigators have had a big work out in our county the last 2 yrs. They direct file with the prosecutors but our agency gets involved in several ways. A lot of their cases are also drug related. Many times a drug arrest leads to children being removed from their parents etc

A fair amount of shoplifting & credit card crimes too but they are the minority.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Our sex abuse investigators have a heavy load. People suck.
                ^This. Add in the internet and it’s a terrible problem. I met some scary people in uniform, but nothing compares to the pervert hiding in plain sight.

The only positive side to this $*** is that if you make a good case on these animals, they go away for a long time.

I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

When it comes to things being stolen, electronics wise, its usually phones, tablets, and computers.

Most of our robberies consist of the persons getting their phone stolen. (Mostly cuz people walk around with their faces in them and dont pay attention to where they are...)

The burglaries usually result in the loss of TVs, phones, tablets and laptops. Not so much jewelry. Sometimes large speakers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    People suck
                    Yes, however oral copulation in itself is not illegal in California as long as it’s consensual, of legal age, not unconscious or legally unable to consent due to physical or mental disability and not in a public location outraging public decency.

Comment

Vehicle thefts have probably tripled. OD’s many times daily narcan is being wasted left and right.
                      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Most of our burglaries are gangs targeting wealthy communities.
                        semper destravit

Comment

Theft in general has went way up.....street robberies are very prevalent in certain areas
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

We use CONSTAT. We have no crime after the reports are reviewed and analyzed.

How ya been Kieth?
                            September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6100 users online. 202 members and 5898 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X