Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC, Tazer or Tear gas?

Hi,

Which do you guys think is worse...OC spary, tazers or tear gas? And if you had to endure one which would you choose? Also, which do you think is more effective?

Thanks

If I had to choose one....taser. It's over in 5 seconds.
    -Stay safe

Comment

Just my two cents. In the long term ( i.e. 15-20 minutes ), pepper spray really tore up my eyeballs back in my academy days. That was definitely an experience I'll never forget anytime soon. However, in the short term, the spray does not take effect immediately. Depending on the person, it can take 15 to 30 seconds for the spray to take effect. The problem with that is obvious- the offender can still harm you during that time frame. Similarly, on one specific occassion, the spray failed me on the street. I think it made the goof angry, which was not the intended effect I was hoping for. As a result, I had to resort to defensive tactics. I think when these goofs go away to the joint, they develop some bizarro world tolerance to the spray [email protected]#$% LOL.

On the flip side, if I would have had a taser, I firmly believe he would have dropped like a sack of potatoes. The taser is definitely the best option. I only wish I could carry one.

I'm not smart enough to even comment on tear gas, for I have no experience with it. If it works and will save police officers from injury, then I'm all for it. Sounds good to me.

Be Safe Brother,

cpd007

Comment

I think the taser is the most effective.

I would take the OC spray if I was able to immediately decon.
        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Originally posted by CPDjock
          Hi,

Which do you guys think is worse...OC spary, tazers or tear gas? And if you had to endure one which would you choose? Also, which do you think is more effective?

Thanks

WORSE? Teargas Effective? Tazer (if deployed right) Endure? depends on the situation? I wonder if im the only guy who has been wresteling around with a "citizen" having a bad day, heard the DREADED "SPRAY" from the guy who just got cut loose and caught my fair share of it.

Teargas just makes me want to RUN, RUN, RUN!!! ( after the DI yells Whats YOUR NAME, SPELL YOUR LAST NAME, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?) I can still remember the ropes of snot.
          When your fun ends, my fun begins

Comment

I would deploy the taser first, hands down. I have never had an unsuccessful deployment with the taser.

When it comes to which I would take. I would probably do pepper spray. Yes it hurts for longer, but the pain is less severe (compared to the taser, worst 5 seconds of my life).

Comment

Give me the taser anyday. That is to use OR to take. It is over in 5 seconds, but those 5 seconds work WONDERS. AND ...... it is only a trigger pull away from another 5 seconds.
              "Socrates was a philosopher. He talked a lot. They killed him." unknown to me.

"Evil prevails when good men do nothing."

Comment

If I had to do it again, I would take a taser hit before OC any day. 5 seconds of fury versus 45 minutes or more of burning pain in your eyes and face? Easy choice. Plus...with OC you have to be careful the next time you take a shower or you might get a surprise in your no-no spots
                I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by H116
                  WORSE? Teargas Effective? Tazer (if deployed right) Endure? depends on the situation? I wonder if im the only guy who has been wresteling around with a "citizen" having a bad day, heard the DREADED "SPRAY" from the guy who just got cut loose and caught my fair share of it.
                  Definately not the only one. Back when I worked the jail, my partner and I were battling an inmate when another officer yelled "Spray!". The only person that didn't get hit with it was the inmate.

Teargas just makes me want to RUN, RUN, RUN!!! ( after the DI yells Whats YOUR NAME, SPELL YOUR LAST NAME, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?) I can still remember the ropes of snot.
                  Tear gas, while still nasty, has never had a super bad effect on me. I remember standing in the door of the gas chamber having the Drill Sergeant yelling out those very questions. When I answered them with relative ease (compared to some others) he threw in, "WHAT'S MY SERIAL NUMBER?" That was the start of bad day...
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I haven't been exposed to tear gas yet, but i can't stand OC. That stuff just tears me up. I think the taser hurts much worse and is extremely effective. If i had to choose one to be exposed to again It would be the taser. The shower after a direct OC application is just as bad as the initial applicaiton.

Comment

The academy training with OC spray tore my butt up! I hate the stuff.

Tear gas was a peace of cake. It was over as soon as I got into fresh air.

The tazer is my choice for getting shot with. Its over in 5 seconds.

OC spray is the only thing I carry. I have only used it in one incident on patrol. I sprayed about 50 people fighting and it did the job real well. Works good on dogs too.
                      The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

As an instructor..Taser, Then OC. Same order if doing training.
                        With the Taser, over in 5 seconds..just gives you that nice work out feeling.
                        OC. 45 minutes if you do a good decon..watch out in the shower later.
                        Defensive Tactics..3-5 days of pain if not in shape or you PO'd your training pardner
                        Stay Safe and Take Care
                        Jeff

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3477 users online. 183 members and 3294 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X