Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer you need to remove your gun?...

I stopped by the DMV on my way home from work to renew my tags. I was in full uniform. I usually do not run errands to and from work, but I got off at the perfect time and knew it would only take 5 minutes.

As soon as I get through the front door, an armed security guard gets about a foot away from my face and says, "Sir I know you're not here on official business, you need to go put your firearm in your car before you come in."

I will admit that initially I was fuming. I wanted to tell him to pound sand, and other catch phrases that I cannot repeat on this forum.

Rather than get into an argument, and dealing with the complaint that would come with it, I just went back to my car, ditched the top and belt, and threw a windbreaker on. That was it, no words were exchanged.

Earlier tonight when I come in, the Sarge goes, "hey what happened at the DMV this morning?" Evidentally I "rolled my eyes" and he filed a complaint for it .

Now I'm heated again. Maybe my ego is to big, I don't know...

What would you guys have done? Has this ever happened to you?

That's absolutely crazy! Why on earth would a government facility not want a LEO to be armed???

Comment

Filed a complaint for rolling eyes? Oooh brother. I guess thats why hes a security guard..

Comment

Remove My Gun! Ha!

Dont Know What State Your In But Here In Texas Your A State Certified Officer And Can Carry Any Where But In Federal Buildings. That Includes Off Duty But Definately In Full Uniform. I Once Had To Meet My Wife At The Emergency Room And I Was In Full Uniform. A Nurse Tried To Tell Me I Had To Take My Gun Out To The Car And I Just Laughed At Her. My Opinion Is To Just Say No And Go About Your Buisness. You Cant Be In Uniform And Not Have A Side Arm. The Security Gaurd Was Rediculous. Mogsot
        The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

It is odd.

In all fairness, I think running errands in full uniform is probably a bad idea. From now on I think I'll ditch the equipment until I get to the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Traffic_82
            I stopped by the DMV on my way home from work to renew my tags. I was in full uniform. I usually do not run errands to and from work, but I got off at the perfect time and knew it would only take 5 minutes.

As soon as I get through the front door, an armed security guard gets about a foot away from my face and says, "Sir I know you're not here on official business, you need to go put your firearm in your car before you come in."

I will admit that initially I was fuming. I wanted to tell him to pound sand, and other catch phrases that I cannot repeat on this forum.

Rather than get into an argument, and dealing with the complaint that would come with it, I just went back to my car, ditched the top and belt, and threw a windbreaker on. That was it, no words were exchanged.

Earlier tonight when I come in, the Sarge goes, "hey what happened at the DMV this morning?" Evidentally I "rolled my eyes" and he filed a complaint for it .

That is completely nuts...... I would have told the guy to get bent and walked in. He tries to go hands on....his butt would be going to jail for assaulting a LEO....

Once again....that's just me.

And no, I have never had a problem like that. Matter of fact, my DL pic is me in uniform because I had to get my DL renewed and I was on Days.....and that was the only way I could get it done....

Comment

It is odd.

In all fairness, I think running errands in full uniform is probably a bad idea. From now on I think I'll ditch the equipment until I get to the station.
              As I understand it, you are a Deputy Sheriff in the state of Colorado?

This DMV office was in your jurisdiction?

If that is the case, I can't see how the purpose of the visit had any bearing and I'ld be checking with DMV at the main office or state capital and I'ld be looking at the law if I didn't know better.

If he was in error, this is something that needs to be brought to that guard's attention pronto. Running errands in full uniform might be an issue with the sheriff, but it's likely none of that guard's beeswax.

I'm not in Colorado so I don't know for sure there, but here .... only place the purpose of my visit would matter is in a federal building.
              "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

It's never happened to me, and if it ever does, hopefully I can restrain myself in the same way that you did, instead of telling that guard to "take a f**cking hike."
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Well heaven forbid you rolled your eyes at him. Was this wanna be fairy so sensitive or just jealous that he's not a REAL police officer that he's just trying to get you jammed up. It seems obvious that he didn't have the balls to say anything about it then even after you were MORE than respectful of his REQUEST to remove your sidearm. Just in case on the wild chance that wanna be ever reads these posts this for TRAFFIC 82
                  "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

No Freakin way that is so ridiculas. Here in my dept per regs we are allowed to run errans to and from work as long its not buying boose, and we have take home cars. Most places where we go we are greeted and especially places like the DMV and drivers license buereu if we are in uniforme they let us cut in line.

Mabe that security guard needs the proper level of customer service rendered from the local PD.

Comment

First off, I would like to know how the guard knew what business you had at the building. If that had happened to me, I would have gone in anyways. What would he have done, called the police? I would have then called his supervisor and complained on him. But the best thing to do, is let every officer in your area know who this clown is and make sure if he fails to stop, use a turn signal or anything else, he gets an invited to see your local judge.
                      Last edited by ppd101; 04-07-2007, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I would have explained to that security guard to find the nearest lake and jump in it.

Comment

Hehehe.....Think about it this way:

The security guard wants to be what you are, and he never will be with that attitude. So while you're retired, sitting back in an aluminum boat murdering fish with a beer in your hand, he's going to still be making minimum wage and obsessively reading the Galls catalog and watching police movies. Probably still living with his parents.

Comment

Just wait -- that security guard will probably be on officer.com soon trumpeting his qualifications, and proclaiming that he should be given the same arrest authority as the police. This guy sounds like a real Barney Fife of the security business, regardless of any applicable laws, rules or regs. And, yes, I would definitely investigate what, if any, authority he had to demand that a uniformed LEO disarm, and take approapriate action.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser266
                              Just wait -- that security guard will probably be on officer.com soon trumpeting his qualifications, and proclaiming that he should be given the same arrest authority as the police.
                              I think there's already one here....but he's from MO not CO.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5662 users online. 312 members and 5350 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X