300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Cam captures comments: WWYDD??

DETROIT -- Detroit Police Chief James Craig reassigned a 22-year veteran officer, Aubrey Wade, for making insensitive comments that were caught on a fellow officer's body camera, minutes after a fatal ATV crash last summer.

Craig said he ordered the move Wednesday after the Free Press raised questions about Wade's conduct, which appears in camera footage the newspaper obtained under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.

"No sympathy at all for bull****. Mother ****er wanna be grown, ya' act grown, ya' gotta ****ing deal with it," Wade can be heard saying of 15-year-old Damon Grimes, who crashed his ATV after State Police shot him with a stun gun during an Aug. 26 chase. Grimes later died from his injuries.

“I felt, given what I heard and saw in the video, it was enough that I needed to de-appoint him from his position of neighborhood police officer," Craig told the Free Press on Wednesday.

https://www.officer.com/on-the-stree...ade-reassigned

Backstory: last summer, a MSP trooper was pursuing a 15 year old riding the streets of Detroit on his ATV (note: people riding ATVs up and down the streets at high speeds and racing ATVs is very common in some Detroit neighborhoods. This is not legal, but on a scale of 1 to 10 of illegal activity happening at any given hour in Detroit, it ranks about a 2). The trooper tased the rider, who then ran into the back of a parked truck and died from the impact. The trooper resigned and is currently facing 2nd degree murder charges. The video of the event was released this week, and at the 5:40 mark, one of the responding officers offers his opinion about the situation. He's since been re-assigned. Question: What Would Your Department Do if a bodycam captured salty cop talk not meant for public consumption??
    Thousands of people have talent. I might as well congratulate you for having eyes in your head. The one and only thing that counts is: Do you have staying power?

-Sir Noel Coward

I got into law enforcement just as dash cams were becoming common, and on my first traffic stop as a new officer, I turned around to see someone with a shoulder-mounted camera filming me from across the street. I've always operated with the belief that I'm being recorded. It always shocks me when others don't.

Comment

Not enough information - too many variables.

What are the department rules regarding when cameras must be recording? What does the MOU say about when non-public contact, private officer to officer conversations will be released? What does that state's public records law say about the release of recordings of private, non-public contact conversations between officers?

If the chief believes there must be that much transparency for the public good, I propose that when he and other managers discuss personnel evaluations, disciplinary actions, or personal opinions about their officers, that their conversations be recorded and copies be made available to the concerned officers. Similarly, when the Chief and managers discuss conflicts or feelings towards the City Manager, Mayor, City Council, ACLU, the union, civic groups and anyone else who directly or indirectly affects or influences police department operations, that those conversations be recorded and made available to the media and public for their evaluation, comment and response.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I am fortunate working for a department that does NOT usually review camera footage unless there is a complaint or that footage is needed for prosecution.

My bosses don't have that kind of time.

However, the bottom line is in today's climate ..................Officers need to be aware of their actions AND verbal responses AT ALL TIMES because most likely SOMEONE is recording you (even if it is you ). all the time.

Should a recording be subpoenaed or released via FOIA request ANY type of non professional comments or actions will probably be subject to review by the boss.

So far......................every time a video has been pulled on me due to a citizen or prisoner complaint ............the video has substantiated my version of the incident.

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Many states have laws requiring recordings be released as public records. You need to be careful what you say and do as it can and will come back to bite you in the butt.

Comment

100% all the time, every time you're on the clock making official contact with the public while on a call or during a stop, just count on everything generating from your voicebox is being duplicated. We live in an era that crucifies us for just about anything taken the wrong way by the wrong person. The old days that allowed us to be the police in putting someone straight are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodCo.Explorer View Post
              100% all the time, every time you're on the clock making official contact with the public while on a call or during a stop, just count on everything generating from your voicebox is being duplicated.
              Making contact with the public or on a stop, yes, but private person to person conversations between officers without their consent is an unreasonable expectation and and in my state, an unreasonable invasion of their constitutional right to privacy. (California Constitution, Article 1, Section 1 )

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

People these days record us constantly waiting for us to say or do something stupid. Always speak and act like you are being recorded and you wont have to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Making contact with the public or on a stop, yes, but private person to person conversations between officers without their consent is an unreasonable expectation and and in my state, an unreasonable invasion of their constitutional right to privacy. (California Constitution, Article 1, Section 1 )
                  ^THIS is what I'm getting at.

In the example offered for discussion, what got the officer disciplined (a year after the incident occurred) was not his offensive talk with the public, it was his comments muttered to another officer, captured on bodycam.

Is there a distinction between cop/public interaction vs. cop/cop interaction regarding acceptable conversation in the bodycam era??

Thousands of people have talent. I might as well congratulate you for having eyes in your head. The one and only thing that counts is: Do you have staying power?

-Sir Noel Coward

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

^THIS is what I'm getting at.

In the example offered for discussion, what got the officer disciplined (a year after the incident occurred) was not his offensive talk with the public, it was his comments muttered to another officer, captured on bodycam.

Is there a distinction between cop/public interaction vs. cop/cop interaction regarding acceptable conversation in the bodycam era??
                    Great question.

My (former) agency likes to review random video files. One younger officer got written up for using profane language at other drivers while responding red lights and siren to a crash scene. The officer was alone in the vehicle, and no one else could hear what he was yelling. The only way anyone ever heard it was because of the video recording system, automatically activated by the emergency equipment.
                    You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

• SHU
                      SHU commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You have awful management.

• Curt5811
                      Curt5811 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes... our management was/is terrible. The division head that wrote him up is a complete tool, but is also an asskisser to the former agency head. He liked to hammer his people to make brownie points with the Boss.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9097 users online. 324 members and 8773 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X