300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for ideas to help curb underage drinking

I've been assigned a project by my administration to come up with some actionable new ideas to help prevent underage alcohol consumption in our area.

Optimally, I'm interested in actual methods that have been put into practice and have shown positive results backed by data. If the approaches were implemented in a university or school environment, more the better.

That being said, I'm open to any and all ideas -- spit-balling is not only allowed, but encouraged.

I'm scheduled to make a presentation to my brass in about 6 weeks, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible now so I can sift through it for a few ideas that might be appropriate for our community.

Thanks in advance for the help!

When I was in my teens, to be “one of the guys” you had to be a drinker. I wasn’t “one of the guys”. When I went into the Air Force, we had two drink machines in the barracks. One was soft drinks and the other dispensed cans of beer. The beer machine was refilled frequently.

Those were the days that to be socially acceptable, you were supposed to be a drinker. I was a loner. The reason....

I never had any interest in drinking because my dad was an abusive alcoholic and I didn’t want to be anything like him. My mother and I spent many nights sleeping in a car because we got tired of dad coming home drunk and the beatings started. He had a routine. He was in the AF. An aircraft mechanic. He went to work, came home, changed clothes, and then off to the bar. When the bars closed, he came home and if we were there the fighting started and then the beatings. My mother didn’t have any job skills and we had no where to go. We had to hide.

The best way to prevent drinking is to never start. I have four kids that are social drinkers and I feel like I’ve failed them. I didn’t drink and neither did their mother. I can only assume they started drinking to fit in with their friends.

Comment

Offer one additional Personal Day to be awarded to the officer who writes the most U/A citations in a month.

Order the confiscation of any and all alcohol found in the possession of underage persons. Keep the alcohol in inventory to be served during a Labor Day agency cookout.

You said to spitball...

More seriously, how much cooperation can you expect from the school administration? Do they provide sanctions for UA drinking on or off campus? Many universities say "Sorry, not our problem".
      You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post
        Offer one additional Personal Day to be awarded to the officer who writes the most U/A citations in a month.

Order the confiscation of any and all alcohol found in the possession of underage persons. Keep the alcohol in inventory to be served during a Labor Day agency cookout.

You said to spitball...

More seriously, how much cooperation can you expect from the school administration? Do they provide sanctions for UA drinking on or off campus? Many universities say "Sorry, not our problem".
        Imagine how that beer that was confiscated in January will taste in November! :-O. Like the ideas. Good point about school admin.
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

The California Highway Patrol has a program called Every 15 Minutes. It is a two-day program focusing on high school juniors and seniors, which challenges them to think about drinking, driving, personal safety, the responsibility of making mature decisions and the impact their decisions have on family, friends, their community, and many others. The program brings together a broad coalition of interested local agencies with the goal of reducing alcohol-related incidents among youth. The partnering of the California Highway Patrol, local law enforcement, local hospitals, emergency medical responders, schools, businesses, and service clubs validates the importance of working together to ensure a healthy community.
          The two-day Every 15 Minutes program is very dramatic and emotional,-and purposely so. Teenagers are constantly reminded about the choices they have to make involving alcohol and how many others are affected by their decisions.

While they know the intellectual statistics, many teens share the belief it will never happen to them.
          This program is designed to create an awareness among students that they are not invincible. This program helps open the emotional doors, and it They experience first hand how their actions affect the lives of so many other people.

If you are in California. funding may be available from the California Office of Traffic Safety, with the California Highway Patrol providing mini-grants to schools and organizations wanting to implement the Every 15 Minutes program.

The manual for implementing such a program can be found here: Take a few minutes to read it and you will get a better feel for how it dramatically impacts students.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/ResearchAndPl...nal%202016.pdf

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Already some great ideas -- thanks!

Regarding school administration: We're lucky that the school is generally behind us in assisting with enforcement. In fact, the cost of a citation pales in comparison to the loss of a non-refundable housing contract, which is worth thousands of dollars.

Comment

Deadlines looming, so I'm giving this a bump for any additional ideas/thoughts.

Thanks.

Comment

When I was underage, I didn't drink because I had good examples from my parents but also because I knew the local cops were always looking to hammer MIC/MIP. Is it an arrestable offense in your area? If so, start hooking. That'll get attention quick. Follow it up with party busting and underage sale stings.

Start aggressively enforcing that law however you can and word will get around quick among the youth in your area. I like the incentive idea among officers. Give the top performers some kind of prize, extra day off, assign promotion points for performance, or maybe come up with kind of special unit that focuses on underage drinking. Assign hard-chargers to it and give them a unit patch or something.
                Last edited by DepTroop; 03-13-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

The Every 15 Minutes program is very great. It does several things. In a nut shell it's a community outreach, it gives the EMS and law enforcement another way to hone their skills,and it gives kids the reality of drinking. My senior year of high school the junior class started the program. A traffic accident is stagged and everything.

Or you know just raise the drinking age
                  I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Thanks for the additional input.

Comment

Get your members into the schools, just talking to the kids. Talk about collisions, and having to deal with dead and injured victims, loss of loved ones. Make sure your members are comfortable, interested, and willing to lay illegal consumption / possession charges, and checking out known / suspected party sites.
                      However, such offences have been occurring pretty much since the first fermented fluid flowed.
                      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                      "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                        However, such offences have been occurring pretty much since the first fermented fluid flowed.
                        Ha! No doubt.

I'm new to the department, though I have a history in LE. It's sort of like, "Let's see if the rookie can come up with a solution for something no police department has ever been able to solve."

Comment

They're going to drink regardless. My limited experience with Every 15 Minutes was watching the simulated crash response and the "death" notifications. And then not long afterward, after rotating into Courts, seeing an 18 year old who attended the presentation get sentenced to prison for his DUI crash that killed two and maimed one of ha classmates - a couple of whom were student leaders in making the program happen. A week after the crash, the kids from that school held a wake. Complete with a keg.

To get kids to stop drinking, you will need to change their culture, which takes a generation or two, and has to saturate society beyond their small social group.
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9083 users online. 329 members and 8754 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X