300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HI629 View Post

Finding a “beat wife” will make things a bit more pleasant.
    and that's the reason many midnighters check out several handpack radio batteries.

I recall one officer who routinely checked out 4 handpack batteries, 6 energizer "C" batteries and extra cuffs.
    Last edited by BTDT2; 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM. Reason: Removed words vibrator and sex toys.

Comment

Finding a “beat wife” will make things a bit more pleasant.
      Mrs. Hands????

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalAspirant View Post

Mrs. Hands????
        Ain’t nothing like the real thing.....
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Mrs. Hands????
          NorCal If you’re pondering “Mrs. Hands”, you’re a lot further North than active and retired California LEO’s contributing to this thread.
          Last edited by BTDT2; 03-10-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

The only surefire way to get used to night shift is to beg and grovel with a fellow officer to swap their normal shift hours with you...

Comment

I like to keep the same sleep schedule even on my days off. Which sucks when you actually have errands to run. Other than that Lots of coffee and brain games. A good workout before the night shift is a way to keep the blood flowing. Also drink lots of water and stay hydrated, its easy to get drowsy when you aren't hydrated and pounding caffeine is a good way to get dehydrated.

When you start feeling that grogginess take a minute to stretch, to walk a brisk little walk and shake it out.

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
                The only surefire way to get used to night shift is to beg and grovel with a fellow officer to swap their normal shift hours with you...
                Haha I like that plan the best. Night shift and weekends off, or day shift during weekends. Those are my choices after FTO at least until some of the more senior folks get their special assignments/retire.

Comment

Black trash bags duck taped to your windows at home to help you sleep during the day. It makes your home look like a meth lab but its worth it for a good days sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                    Black trash bags duck taped to your windows at home to help you sleep during the day. It makes your home look like a meth lab but its worth it for a good days sleep.
                    I used to used aluminum foil for the windows. Worked great until the neighbors complained about the glare.
                    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I used to used aluminum foil for the windows. Worked great until the neighbors complained about the glare.
                      You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Although I never could stand the afternoon shift (1600-2400) I was able to adjust to the midnight shift of 0000-0800: when I got home at 0815 (lived less then a mile from the border crossing) I would be in bed by 0830. I would sleep until 1300-1400; get up, take care of what needed to be taken care of; the take a nap from around 1900 - 2230.

Comment

I'll comment more from a nutrition point of view. I found when working nights that grazing on small, healthy snacks throughout the shift was a good way to stay alert and energized. I was not one to eat a full meal at any particular time in shift. Maybe once in a blue moon the guys and I would hit a diner early in morning but that was an exception, not the norm. The norm was a lunch box of almonds, greek yogurt, low-fat cheese stick, bananas, apples. Stuff along those lines that you can eat one thing at a time quickly in between calls that won't make you feel sluggish while you digest them. I'm a coffee guy and if you are too then I suggest a cup right before your shift. If you're really hurting one night maybe another a couple hours into your shift but there's no need to be throwing back coffees all night. As was posted before, water is your friend.

Comment

Well 2 weeks of night shift is done. I don’t know if it’s just the adrenaline but I haven’t had too much difficulty staying awake. I’ve also been doing lots of t stops to pass the time so maybe that’s why too. The melatonin and sleep masks like some of you suggested has helped immensely as well.

Comment

I found that I could get more rest by working nights due to going to bed right when I got home and sleeping until I woke up, instead of going to bed at 9 or 10 at night when working a day shift. If you can't find anyone to stop, try shaking some doors at closed businesses, or finding a big parking lot and get some steps in with walking. That way, you're close to your vehicle in case you have to answer a call.

Comment

Well 2 weeks of night shift is done. I don’t know if it’s just the adrenaline but I haven’t had too much difficulty staying awake. I’ve also been doing lots of t stops to pass the time so maybe that’s why too. The melatonin and sleep masks like some of you suggested has helped immensely as well.
                                NorCal

I was going to suggest you Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. Reading above quoted post it appears you already have.

Last edited by BTDT2; 03-27-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6270 users online. 190 members and 6080 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X