Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you know any 2nd chance depts?

just curious as to your opinions...
    should fired officers be given 2nd chances?

here's a LA times article on one agency...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=1&cset=true

i wish i could be promoted from officer to chief.

I think if you're young, just out of the academy and you start making dumb mistakes, I.e. not listening to orders, speeding in the cruisers, etc. you should be given a second chance after you grow up a bit. I'll admit, when I was 21, and I got handed the badge and gun I thought I was going to save the world in my little town of 3,300 people. I shortly realized that I wasn't.

It's a toss up. This profession is the hardest to get and the easiest to lose.
    -Stay safe

Comment

Based on what J_Mann said, I'm guilty. I was handed a badge and gun last summer. Midway through, my supervisor called me into the office about not following an order and being just a bit heavy footed in the truck (generally 5 over), which I personally didn't think was a big deal (especially after riding with him a few times). After getting myself together he said I was one of the better officers he's hired and asked me back for this summer. I gladly accepted.

I still can't over the fact that I was getting drilled for some of the other guys dumb mistakes. Oh well. It's a completely new set of officers this summer.
      sigpic

Comment

I guess it all depends on the circumstances. I now work at a "second chance" department and these were my chief's exact words during my interview prior to being hired. In my case, I made a mistake that a number of other officers in other agencies may at best get a written repremand, but my prior agency decided to make an example of me. Lets just say alot of people were erasing stuff off their computers after I got jammed. I had no prior disiplinary actions, not even a citizen complaint, in 8 years. I was given two options, resign or be fired. I chose the first and I do not regret it one minute. My new agency is by far the best place I've ever worked. There are several other officers in my agency who resigned from other agencies for missteps. All of them are great officers, and have learned from their mistakes. I don't know one cop who has not done something in their career that could get them fired.

Comment

Originally posted by seibert253
          I guess it all depends on the circumstances. I now work at a "second chance" department and these were my chief's exact words during my interview prior to being hired. In my case, I made a mistake that a number of other officers in other agencies may at best get a written repremand, but my prior agency decided to make an example of me. Lets just say alot of people were erasing stuff off their computers after I got jammed. I had no prior disiplinary actions, not even a citizen complaint, in 8 years. I was given two options, resign or be fired. I chose the first and I do not regret it one minute. My new agency is by far the best place I've ever worked. There are several other officers in my agency who resigned from other agencies for missteps. All of them are great officers, and have learned from their mistakes. I don't know one cop who has not done something in their career that could get them fired.
          I've seen several agencies railroad a good officer over something rather petty. I testified at the appeal hearing for one guy I thought was being completely reamed over. On the other hand, I was a reserve at an agency, and they had quite a few people who were there due to forced resignations. I wasn't at that agency long, and I quickly learned why many of these people were forced to resign...They were idiots. The quality of the individual has a lot more to do with a second chance; taking into consideration the severity of what squashed the first chance.

Comment

Well I've been screwed at 2 previous agencies, one for something that was completely BS and the other one I have a hard time disproving even though I maintain my innocence. I was out of LE for damn near two years before my current department, an S.O., took a chance on me. I had thrown away all my LE gear, holster, belt, what have you the day before they called me. I've been in LE since 97 and with the current department for the past three years. I can't say it's the best place, although there are worse, but the worst part is the pay is pitiful and I have to work OT just to keep my family above water. I'll be hitting patrol soon, #2 on the list, and they work 12 hour shifts, and there is no OT...however there are extra jobs that pay around 35 bucks an hour but I don't want to work on all my days off either.

I miss city policing but I guess I'll learn the county way now and to answer the question, I think too many departments look at the applicant and want them to be perfect on paper when in reality everyone makes mistakes and some of those mistakes should be overlooked and that officer given second or even third chances.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

my agency sometimes can't keep people fired, often we have guys fired every five yrs, stay away 2 yrs all of a sudden they are back like a cat with 9 lives.
              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

My wife who is also a cop has had a few jobs. She was fired from 2 departments. The 1st was because she didn't pass the fire academy(it was a public safety Department) not her fault though 15 out of the 28 students failed. The second department she was fired from was a very small department and the Chief - slash- city manager said she didn't pass her probation period. We later found out that the chief ran off with athe only other officer and didn't want my wife to become the interum chief. She is still a cop with an even better department. I think it depend on why people are fired. If someone has a behavior problem. It will carry on with them.

Comment

we have all messed up. i think if an officer can actually learn from the mistake, avoid placing himself/herself in that position again, and can honestly not let it happen again...a 2nd chance is warranted.

Comment

I believe some officers deserve a second chance, depending on the circumstances.

I agree with what was said earlier, about some dept's wanting officers to be perfect on paper. If you luck out and get an interviewer or background investigater, who knows the ropes and how to dig deep, if your mistake was minor or no mistake at all, you'll be ok.

It all depends on faith.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6118 users online. 327 members and 5791 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X