300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't he retire ??

There is a local Chief of Police that has over 25 years on and also has reached the age of 65 ..... meaning he would qualify for full Social Security.

Is there a monetary reason someone in this position would resist retirement ?

He would actually be working for a modest portion of his salary after you subtract what his retirement would be.

He can't put in for SS and still work can he ?

Is it just the self esteem issues that keep someone like this working?
    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

I think that he can draw ss but only work a certain amount of hours a week.

Comment

I worked with a sergeant that had over 30 years of service, his house was paid for, and the difference between his take-home and what he would have made from his pension made it so he was working for about $0.75 per hour. But he believed that if he retired, he would die. Eventually, he did retire. He was dead 45 days later.
      Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Does anyone know how New York State Civil Service works in regards to percentage of pay in retirement ?

I've heard that some are 50% others are at 75% of base salary.

Any info ?
        Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees
          I worked with a sergeant that had over 30 years of service, his house was paid for, and the difference between his take-home and what he would have made from his pension made it so he was working for about $0.75 per hour. But he believed that if he retired, he would die. Eventually, he did retire. He was dead 45 days later.

That could very well be the worst story I have ever heard. What a crappy life we live. Think about it. We work for 25 to 30 years and can expect to live, what an average of something like 5 years after the papers are filed. I dont think i will retire either. I plan to die of natural causes on the drivers seat of the police car while parked in the lot.

My head stone will read "Hear lays a street cop, dead at 103 years old"
          It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31
            That could very well be the worst story I have ever heard. What a crappy life we live. Think about it. We work for 25 to 30 years and can expect to live, what an average of something like 5 years after the papers are filed. I dont think i will retire either. I plan to die of natural causes on the drivers seat of the police car while parked in the lot.

its true though :/... between cops and those in the armer services.. it has been proven out life expectancies are shorted then the norm..

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31

Right, you give your life to protecting people and there things and as soon as you stop, or shortly there after, you're not around long enough to enjoy retirement. That story is a shame and may he RIP.
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep
                Right, you give your life to protecting people and there things and as soon as you stop, or shortly there after, you're not around long enough to enjoy retirement. That story is a shame and may he RIP.
                why do you think police, firefighters and military have some of the best pensions around..., because we'll never live long enough to make great use of them :/.... I'm living to be 115 though!!..... actually, i don't know if i would want to live that long..

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees
                  That has to be the saddest thing I've ever heard...

Comment

Originally posted by CGIS1
                    its true though :/... between cops and those in the armer services.. it has been proven out life expectancies are shorted then the norm..
                    I know a lot of cops that retire only to work part-time on village departments. As long as I love the work I do I will not retire irregardless of what my pay is or how much I am losing by working. When I do retire I will get a job working at Busch Stadium as an usher. That way I will have something to look forward too. When my dad was talking about retiring from General Motors I got real concerned. Seems like many of his co-workers retired only to die soon after. He managed to keep busy and it is now 15 years later and he is still very healthy. I can't help but think if you have something to look forward to when you wake up too you add years onto your life. I know it is not that simple but look at all the people that retire with nothing to do then die.
                    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the shift parties.....donuts....drinking...fast food.....fast women.....deep fried and battered mushrooms........lack of exercise.....lack of (preventative) medical care....(angioplasty and quadruple bypass surgery don't count....)

Comment

Ask again.

Does anyone know how New York State Civil Service works in regards to percentage of pay in retirement ?

I've heard that some are 50% others are at 75% of base salary.

Any info ?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                          I'm sure it had nothing to do with the shift parties.....donuts....drinking...fast food.....fast women.....deep fried and battered mushrooms........lack of exercise.....lack of (preventative) medical care....(angioplasty and quadruple bypass surgery don't count....)
                          Probably has more to do with the excessive amounts of stress both from the job and the impact on our personal lives, dealing constantly with the dredges of society, being hit, kicked, spat on, the stress on your body working swing shifts and not eating properly because you can't find the time in a 12 hour shift to eat anything but a quick bite from the local corner store. Not to mention the wear and tear on you mentally from seeing what people will and can do to themselves and others....just a guess though.
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Geezer
                            Is there a monetary reason someone in this position would resist retirement ?

Is it just the self esteem issues that keep someone like this working?
                            Could it be that less people k-$$ your ***, when you're the retired C/O/P. Younger women employees don't find your jokes as funny, or your looks so charming, when you're retired. Young, hard-charging guys listen to less of your war stories. You're no longer the featured guest speaker at civic meetings and luncheons.

In regards to Tim's story, of the sergeant dead 45 days later, my G-d, I'm glad I have three year-old twins and a nine year-old daughter, at age 51. I'll never lack for something to do in my time off.

Even when I "retire" from LE work, I still want to be an LE reserve or volunteer. And when my kids are way older, I hope to become a Deacon in the Roman Catholic Church, then do LE Chaplaincy, part-time.

Here's my new motto, made up when I sarted typing this reply: Busy people don't have time to die!
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M.
                              Could it be that less people k-$$ your ***, when you're the retired C/O/P. Younger women employees don't find your jokes as funny, or your looks so charming, when you're retired. Young, hard-charging guys listen to less of your war stories. [/B]
                              That sounds very much like a bullseye.
                              Last edited by Sgt. Geezer; 04-02-2007, 10:39 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3975 users online. 186 members and 3789 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X