300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ateamer
    It seems to me that if an officer is out on the street and doing his job, he is in sufficient shape to do the job.
    Are you kidding me? Just because somebody manages to show up to work for 8-12 hours a day they must be in shape? "Sufficient" doesn't cut it anyway. I've never had much regard for people doing just enough to get by.

You don't encourage fitness by punishing people for not meeting the standard. You encourage it by making it an incentive, like several departments described above.
    Funny, seems to work for the military. Meet the standard or move on. There's a standard to get hired, there should be one to stay hired. My old department followed the "here's a cookie" philosophy, and the differences in physical fitness standards across the board are noticeable. Much like the kid who gets good grades because his parents set a high standard for him, and the one that manages to half-*** study right before report cards come out so he can get a reward.

Besides, no cop has ever had to run 1.5 miles in a foot pursuit or do situps. How about requiring a bench press of 1.5 times bodyweight for males, 1.1 times bodyweight for females, two pullups with 20 pounds added, and time them in a 250 yard run, and measure the force of a baton strike? Upper body strength and sprint speed are more realistic necessities for street work.
    Don't assume my department's mandatory fitness test follows military standards. In fact, the bench press you described is part of it, as well as a short run of increasing incline with heartrate monitor to measure cardiovascular fitness along with other events.

Comment

We have 1 based on age groups that you can take once per year.

1.5 run and agilty run are mandatory then you get to pick 1 out of either situps,pushups,bench press to use as your third qualifier

90% gets 500$

80% gets 250$

If you send me your email I can send you our spec sheet
      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

SFPD has a voluntary program....u can take the assesment once a year and it involves 1.5 mile run, pushups, situps, a sit-and-reach test and a BMI test... based on your score you can get up to 40 hrs. paid leave for the year, and i think u get at least 5 just for showing up and participating.... I think its a positive thing, although I'm not sure it really changes much... people who stay in shape do so for other reasons than a week off, and those who aren't in shape aen't gonna turn their life around for a couple days off, especially when u can work a little overtime and take comp hours and get a week off just as easily...

Comment

Originally posted by romanguy View Post
          SFPD has a voluntary program....u can take the assesment once a year and it involves 1.5 mile run, pushups, situps, a sit-and-reach test and a BMI test... based on your score you can get up to 40 hrs. paid leave for the year, and i think u get at least 5 just for showing up and participating.... I think its a positive thing, although I'm not sure it really changes much... people who stay in shape do so for other reasons than a week off, and those who aren't in shape aen't gonna turn their life around for a couple days off, especially when u can work a little overtime and take comp hours and get a week off just as easily...
          Actually,
          It's all officers hired after July 1994 are required to take the PFT twice a year. It involves 1.5 miler run, pushups, situps (in two minutes), sit and reach, and a fat caliper test. If you get a certain score you accure twenty hours every six months.

As for showing up and receiving 5 hrs, that's how it used to be. Now you have to take the whole test in order to receive partial hours.

Comment

At ours they get 50-60 officers per year that participate in it out of approx. 1500
            Leave Space Empty

Comment

Originally posted by GPOC View Post
              At ours they get 50-60 officers per year that participate in it out of approx. 1500

Thats it???? There's like 1200 cops who are required to take it out of 2,000 at where I'm at. I love the program, 4 free days off a year just to stay in shape!!

Comment

Originally posted by 18C3V View Post
                Thats it????

Yep...pretty sad huh? Even sadder is I would bet my paycheck that 70-80% of the total 1500 couldn't pass with an 80% score either

Dead serious also
                Leave Space Empty

Comment

Originally posted by GPOC View Post
                  Yep...pretty sad huh? Even sadder is I would bet my paycheck that 70-80% of the total 1500 couldn't pass with an 80% score either

Dead serious also
                  Look at what they hire!
                  The Thin Blue Line!

Comment

Originally posted by pulisman View Post
                    Look at what they hire!

LOL................
                    Leave Space Empty

Comment

Per contract, we have an annual PT test that is voluntary. You have to score 30th percentile on Cooper norms in 3 of 4 areas. If you do, you get a $250 bonus that is presumably to help pay for health club membership. After taxes, though, the bonus is $168. Why the taxman taketh so much is beyond me.
                      My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Besides, no cop has ever had to run 1.5 miles in a foot pursuit or do situps. How about requiring a bench press of 1.5 times bodyweight for males, 1.1 times bodyweight for females, two pullups with 20 pounds added, and time them in a 250 yard run, and measure the force of a baton strike? Upper body strength and sprint speed are more realistic necessities for street work.
                        Our's uses the Cooper Institute Standards.
                        every female officer I have worked with hates cooper. If you're going to set a bar, why not make it straight?
                        The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5577 users online. 349 members and 5228 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X