Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notification is not necessary at my agency. If an officer is going to want a sit down type meal with a family member or such, then they will typically tell the other's on the squad and we will look out for them. If the call is "hot" enough, we may have to just either leave the meal and go, or wrap it up real quick and haul it with you. The flip side is that as long as are no calls pending, the time spent at a meal break isn't closely scrutinized.

Comment

I just started my 38th year here, 29 as a Sgt, and yes in years past we had assigned lunch breaks. We also had rotating shifts that often had different officers working together. Now we have dedicated 12 hour shifts and patrolman bid every 6 months as to what shift they want to work. As the Senior Sgt I generally have the same trusted officers bid my shift. I trust them to know how to do their jobs and don't need to micro-manage them. If they're on break and I'm wading waist deep into crap I know that they'll clear and be there to back me on the call, as will I for them. As I've stated before on here, " I won't ask them to do anything that I won't do myself ". I've missed a few meal breaks over the years, I'll probably miss a few more, it aint gonna kill me, or them. Just answer the radio and do your job, break times will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by kannahspapa View Post
        I just started my 38th year here, 29 as a Sgt, and yes in years past we had assigned lunch breaks. We also had rotating shifts that often had different officers working together. Now we have dedicated 12 hour shifts and patrolman bid every 6 months as to what shift they want to work. As the Senior Sgt I generally have the same trusted officers bid my shift. I trust them to know how to do their jobs and don't need to micro-manage them. If they're on break and I'm wading waist deep into crap I know that they'll clear and be there to back me on the call, as will I for them. As I've stated before on here, " I won't ask them to do anything that I won't do myself ". I've missed a few meal breaks over the years, I'll probably miss a few more, it aint gonna kill me, or them. Just answer the radio and do your job, break times will be there.
        Yep!

I did some dispatching years ago at a large center. When the officer's would hang on a call a little long, (sneaking in a meal break) I would have to give a priority call to somebody, so one way to get the beat officer to clear is to dispatch a Sgt or Lt. It's amazing how fast an officer would clear then.

Comment

I'd let the Sgt. or Lt. handle the call while I sneak in my lunch.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
          that we are all that stands between
          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeaconSteve View Post
            Yep!

I did some dispatching years ago at a large center. When the officer's would hang on a call a little long, (sneaking in a meal break) I would have to give a priority call to somebody, so one way to get the beat officer to clear is to dispatch a Sgt or Lt. It's amazing how fast an officer would clear then.
            Nope!

Where I'm at, that wouldn't work. A soon as we found out a Sergeant was willing to write a report, we'd try to find a way to get them to do all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post

Nope!

Where I'm at, that wouldn't work. A soon as we found out a Sergeant was willing to write a report, we'd try to find a way to get them to do all of them.
              Lol, well, this was far enough back that all the Sgts and Lts were old school enough that it wouldn't be worth it for the officers to keep doing that. Where I work now, you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by DeaconSteve View Post

Lol, well, this was far enough back that all the Sgts and Lts were old school enough that it wouldn't be worth it for the officers to keep doing that. Where I work now, you're right.
                My Sheriff and Chief Deputy hump calls just like the deputies do.....................Our Sgt is a working cop who does mostly investigations

The joys of a small department

It was really funny a few weeks ago..............There was a locally controversial incident that generated a lot of social media response. The Sheriff's and Chief's email, phone mail and text boxs were undulated with complaints about a dog that was severely abused. The sheriff got several telling him to talk to his deputies and read the reports generated and DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS INCIDENT.

I was in his office when one of the phone calls came in..............He had it on speaker when the person just lambasted him about how the deputies should have done this, arrested someone and in general how they screwed up.
                Boss just smiled as he listened ...........then calmly stated " Mam, I don't have to read the reports or talk to my deputies...........I was one of the responding officers and witnessed exactly what was observed. I took action according to the laws of the state and directed other responders to follow up while I arraigned for a Veterinarian to examine the dog and transported the dog to the Vet's office"

The dead silence on the other end of the phone was priceless
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-07-2017, 07:34 AM.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

During my 15 years in patrol with LASD we always worked a 8 hour shift.You ate when you had the chance and at my station eating at sit down in a restaurant was unheard of. This was the days before cell phones and portable radios... If I had to use the restroom it was always at a county fire station and I would advise my desk I was code 6 at engine company 97.
                  Retired LASD

Comment

When I was a rookie, I once radioed my Sgt. to let him know I was going to lunch at a restaurant frequented by cops. Before I knew what happened he, two other officers and a deputy showed up. They stuck me with the check... last time I did that.
                    Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                    In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                    Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                    Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9202 users online. 329 members and 8873 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X