Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National average: Percent of complatints against officers which are sustained

Is there anywhere to find any kind of numbers on what percent of complaints against officers by members of the public are sustained?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

I don't think there is a Federal reporting mandate. Reporting requirements may vary from state to state. California requires annual reporting https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...24-revised.pdf but I am unable to find any public data available on the internet regarding actual statistics.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Its probably in the single digits.

Comment

My most recent formal complaint was from a guy I arrested for a warrant. The official complaint was that I "came at him wrong." No use of force, no profanity, not even the usual allegations of racism.. just an uneventful arrest of an extremely intoxicated person with a warrant. The supervisor was scratching his head trying to figure out what to put on the complaint card. The subject commented that part of the problem was the he could see "anger in my eyes."
        Drives me crazy to see the media comment about an officer having received complaints prior to a shooting or high profile story. They make no distinction between sustained or unsustained.
        I think there should be some kind of rule that a person must at the very least be sober to make a complaint.

Comment

We don't even hear about our complaints unless they are sustained, which is rare. It's like people are really not aware we have dash cams.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
            My most recent formal complaint was from a guy I arrested for a warrant. The official complaint was that I "came at him wrong." No use of force, no profanity, not even the usual allegations of racism.. just an uneventful arrest of an extremely intoxicated person with a warrant. The supervisor was scratching his head trying to figure out what to put on the complaint card. The subject commented that part of the problem was the he could see "anger in my eyes."
            Drives me crazy to see the media comment about an officer having received complaints prior to a shooting or high profile story. They make no distinction between sustained or unsustained.
            I think there should be some kind of rule that a person must at the very least be sober to make a complaint.
            We won't take a complaint against an officer unless the allegation describes conduct that violates the law, department rules, policy, or a verbal order.

Philosophical differences with how an officer performs his duties , personal dissatisfaction with the outcome of an event, or disputes over arrest/citation validity are not grounds for a personnel complaint as they do not meet the criteria for disciplinary action under civil service rules. We will not punish our officers for violating some imaginary rule that exists only in the mind of an upset citizen.

At the same time (believe it or not) we encourage complaints. If one of our people has done something wrong, we want the opportunity to fix it. OTOH, if the officer has done nothing wrong and there is a misunderstanding as to what the officer's duties are and what the citizen's obligations are, we want the opportunity to correct that misunderstanding on the part of the citizen. In such cases, no paper goes in the officer's file because a citizen didn't understand the law or departmental procedure..
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

We won't take a complaint against an officer unless the allegation describes conduct that violates the law, department rules, policy, or a verbal order.

Philosophical differences with how an officer performs his duties , personal dissatisfaction with the outcome of an event, or disputes over arrest/citation validity are not grounds for a personnel complaint as they do not meet the criteria for disciplinary action under civil service rules. We will not punish our officers for violating some imaginary rule that exists only in the mind of an upset citizen.

At the same time (believe it or not) we encourage complaints. If one of our people has done something wrong, we want the opportunity to fix it. OTOH, if the officer has done nothing wrong and there is a misunderstanding as to what the officer's duties are and what the citizen's obligations are, we want the opportunity to correct that misunderstanding on the part of the citizen. In such cases, no paper goes in the officer's file because a citizen didn't understand the law or departmental procedure..
              I've never been punished for any of these complaints, but the complaint does get sent to the police monitor's office. And I presume it's discoverable by any defense attorney looking to use it against me or civil attorney looking to sue. While the complaint may quickly be deemed unfounded, they still make a record of it. And that's where I call BS. When Joe Citizen hears that an officer has a complaint against him, he automatically assumes guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                Its probably in the single digits.
                My guess is it is in the small percentage of a single digit

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                Mine was 2 months ago that said I stopped so fast that I smashed him into the cage & almost caused a collision...........and then ran off the road 3 times.

Video showed I was driving below the speed limit when a car ahead of me stopped short in front of me so I did a "hard stop". Inmate put his hands up to hold himself away from the cage (cuffed in front with belly belt).

Video showed I hit the rumble strip twice in a 50 mile transport........

Did I mention I love video
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I used to turn off my headlights during transports under a full moon. Never had a complaint... Video would have been awesome.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

My most BS complaint was a idiot that came into the station and claimed that me and my partner had picked him up, took him into a alley and thumped on him and then let him go.......One big problem.....I was on vacation and 10 thousand miles away in Australia with my wife...
                    Retired LASD

Comment

There was a department I was applying to, but their literature states that 4o% of complaints are sustained.

Either admin is throwing people under the bus left and right or hinky shiite is going down.

Either way, withdrew the app.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• reils49
                        reils49 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They have literature about personnel complaints and they sustain 40% of them?

Sounds fun.

• DepTroop
                        DepTroop commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's one way to up recruitment...not.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7235 users online. 430 members and 6805 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X