Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last four years of my career I worked as the county's first court security deputy. We had a high profile murder trial, and my friend the judge told me if something happens just get out of the way and he would take care of it. He married my wife and I, he is an ex-marine who always shoots with us at the range. He always carries under his robe. Nothing happened, but if it had I felt content the trial would be over in seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by KSDeputy View Post
      The last four years of my career I worked as the county's first court security deputy. We had a high profile murder trial, and my friend the judge told me if something happens just get out of the way and he would take care of it. He married my wife and I, he is an ex-marine who always shoots with us at the range. He always carries under his robe. Nothing happened, but if it had I felt content the trial would be over in seconds.
      We have a current judge who is also a Captain in the Naval Reserves ............serving as a JAG officer & has been in the sandbox for at least one tour . I am sure he would be competent also if the Chief Judge hadn't issued an order that court employees COULD NOT be armed .

Another judge asked me (with tongue in cheek) if I had an extra Remington 870 I could slip behind the bench.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

In the mid eighties I was a deputy sheriff and had to work the court detail one day. The Sgt. told me to get a prisoner out of his cell and take him to a courtroom for a hearing. When I got the guy out of his cell, he asked where we were going. I told him I had been told to take him to a hearing. He looked at me curiously because I didn't know any more than he did.

When we we got to the courtroom I took him before the judge.

Judge: "Sir, I have a complaint here that you haven't paid child support for the last three months, how do you plead?"
        Defendant: "Judge, I've been in the jail here for the last four months."
        Judge: "Ill accept that as a guilty plea, sentencing will be set for a later date, deputy, you can return him to his cell".

We walk out of the courtroom going back to his cell and he looks at me..."Damn man, that was cold". All I could do was shake my head.
        Last edited by FireCop203; 07-29-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• bpd303
          bpd303 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your judge too.

• HopefulPlatoon
          HopefulPlatoon commented
          Editing a comment
          man now that is cold lol

Had a narcotics bust several years ago. We had gotten some really good intel that there was crystal meth in a house and got a search warrant based on that intel. When we searched the house, we found a meth pipe with meth inside and two different flavors of schedule II pills. There were two people living there and both were arrested.

When it came down to take it to trial, the DA's office had decided to only charge the male and let the female walk. During the trial, I was on the stand for hours going over every shred of evidence. The defense attorney never objected to the admission of a single piece of our evidence including the taped confession of the suspect, so I knew she had to have something sneaky up her sleeve. After they played the confession for the jury, I figured out what her likely strategy was; during the confession, I asked the suspect to describe the items and where we found them, but he was very vague and gave the location where we found his pills as the location where he kept his meth, so I figured she would use that to introduce doubt.

Sure enough, when she cross examines me, she asks, "Sergeant BayouCop, isn't it true that, when you asked my client to describe the pipe you found, he was unable to do so?" I look over at the jury and see several of them nodding in agreement. I replied to her, "Ma'am, I can't testify as to whether or not your client was able to describe the pipe," then I shifted my gaze back to the jury, wait for several of them to make eye contact with me, and continue, "I can only testify that he did not describe the pipe." My answer was received with much more emphatic nods from the jurors and the defense attorney slumping back down into her seat. She later asked, "Isn't it also true that, when asked where he kept his meth, my client did not give the location where the meth was located?" I replied, "Yes; however," again I paused and looked at the jury before continuing, "the place where he said he kept his meth was a perfect description of the box we found his pills in, right down to the fact that the paint was flaking off of the box." Again, the jury was nodding along with me and the defense attorney was visibly frustrated. She tried for the rest of the trial to introduce doubt in the mind of the jury based on the lack of details in his confession and the fact that he didn't live alone, but the damage was done. He was convicted on all counts. Someone with the DA's office later told me that it'd been quite a while since they saw someone engage the jury that effectively.

Comment

if I had an extra Remington 870 I could slip behind the bench
          I may or may not know a judge who carries on the bench and keeps a shotgun in his chambers.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

I may or may not know a judge who carries on the bench and keeps a shotgun in his chambers.
            I did know him...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Again, way back in the past I was assigned to the court detail. The Sgt. told me to take another prisoner in for a hearing.

When we get inside the courtroom, I see the Judge, an ADA, an attorney, a clerk and stenographer and that's it. So, I'm guessing this is a closed hearing for whatever reason.

I had been in this Judges courtroom before and I knew he didn't take kindly to BS or disrespect. A nice touch to his background was that he was a former Cobra pilot in the Army and served in Vietnam.

Anywho.....I'm standing beside the defendant in cuffs and chains and ADA and attorney are arguing. The defendant also has a mouth on him and adds his two cents worth every time the ADA tries to make a point. Every now and then the judge interrupts to calm things down.

Finally the ADA makes a statement to the judge and the defendant adds a SA remark. The judge looks me right in the eye and points at the defendant and says "deputy, I've had enough of his s****, would you be so kind as to take your pistol and execute this prisoner right now".

I took a quick glance around and every eye in the courtroom was on me. I replied "yes sir, if the court so orders sir" and I unsnapped my holster and started to draw my revolver slowly. Both attorneys and the defendants eyes were as wide as hoot owls. I got about halfway out of the holster and the judge said. Ahhh, nevermind. I re-holstered and there was complete order in the courtroom from then on. He got his point across.

Comment

• CCCSD
                CCCSD commented
                Editing a comment
                Careful. KK might report you...

Originally posted by FireCop203 View Post
              Again, way back in the past I was assigned to the court detail. The Sgt. told me to take another prisoner in for a hearing.

When we get inside the courtroom, I see the Judge, an ADA, an attorney, a clerk and stenographer and that's it. So, I'm guessing this is a closed hearing for whatever reason.

I had been in this Judges courtroom before and I knew he didn't take kindly to BS or disrespect. A nice touch to his background was that he was a former Cobra pilot in the Army and served in Vietnam.

Anywho.....I'm standing beside the defendant in cuffs and chains and ADA and attorney are arguing. The defendant also has a mouth on him and adds his two cents worth every time the ADA tries to make a point. Every now and then the judge interrupts to calm things down.

Finally the ADA makes a statement to the judge and the defendant adds a SA remark. The judge looks me right in the eye and points at the defendant and says "deputy, I've had enough of his s****, would you be so kind as to take your pistol and execute this prisoner right now".

I took a quick glance around and every eye in the courtroom was on me. I replied "yes sir, if the court so orders sir" and I unsnapped my holster and started to draw my revolver slowly. Both attorneys and the defendants eyes were as wide as hoot owls. I got about halfway out of the holster and the judge said. Ahhh, nevermind. I re-holstered and there was complete order in the courtroom from then on. He got his point across.

I have had a judge (somewhat jokingly ) tell me that if a certain attorney opened his mouth in the next 5 minutes I had permission to Taze him.

Yes, I might add that the attorney was VERY quiet the rest of the proceedings
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

if a certain attorney opened his mouth in the next 5 minutes I had permission to Taze him.
                I had a public defender come out of a conference room and ask me if I would tase her jackass client.

I actually gained much more respect for the public defender's office during my stint in the courthouse: no respect even from their clients, same clients as we have, they HAVE to be nice to them and NEVER get to tase them.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

I had a public defender come out of a conference room and ask me if I would tase her jackass client.

I actually gained much more respect for the public defender's office during my stint in the courthouse: no respect even from their clients, same clients as we have, they HAVE to be nice to them and NEVER get to tase them.
                  I am on very good terms with our public defender.............we even are FB friends

Comment

I was working an off-duty job as a Court Bailiff for a neighboring city's municipal court. One of my duties was to administer urinalysis tests for those who were on municipal probation. I had a kid who popped hot for all of your typical prescription drugs benzos, opiates, and etc. but he also tested for cocaine. During my time working there I became close friends with all of the attorneys, the public defender, and the judge who is well respected in the area we were all on a first name basis so during the revocation hearing the public defender asks "isn't it true these substances could all be explained by a doctors prescription?" I did something I never do and spoke my first thought and very dryly said "Well Mike I would say so except I don't reckon to many docs are prescribing cocaine nowadays" the Judge who had been looking down at a yellow legal pad all of a sudden busted out laughing, as did the public defender who replied with a grin "No Chris I don't suppose they are" and then "your honor we have no further questions". After court I approached the judge and public defender to apologize as I felt my response was a bit out of line. The judge told me that it was one of the funniest retorts she had heard in 40 years and the Public Defender said no I set myself up for that one I won't let it happen again though!
                    "There is no such thing as too much force to soon" Officer Bumper Morgan

Comment

How to not testify and still get guilty pleas: In 1986 I was assigned to the Coast Guard Cutter VENTUROUS home-ported in LA. For something to do underway I volunteered to be on the Law Enforcement Boarding Teams. We spent 30 days at sea searching for a 49' sailboat allegedly loaded with 3,000 lbs. of marijuana. On the 30th day (around 11:00PM and dead calm seas) one of the lookouts spotted a faint light - as we maneuvered towards it we were able to close to 50 yards before they even noticed we were there. Boarding the sailboat the smell of marijuana was overpowering. Arresting the crew and taking the boat in tow it took us 5 days to return to LA (we were something like 600 miles SW of San Diego).

On the appointed day and time six of us reported to the Federal Court House in downtown LA to testify at a hearing on pre-trial motions to suppress, illegal search, etc. As we're in the elevator with the assistant US Attorney representing the government in the trial the elevator stopped two floors before our floor. A seedy looking lawyer, in a three piece suit said "Good Lord, are you all here for the marijuana trial?" Since we didn't know who he was we just kind of stared at him; the US Attorney said, "Sorry, I can't talk to you now, I have to talk to my witnesses." After he got off the elevator on the next floor she said he was the defense lawyer for the trial!

We sat around for hours - being told "you'll be called anytime now" and finally around 5PM the US Attorney said thank you for your time, you won't be needed. Apparently after seeing all of us in uniform the defense withdrew all pre-trial motions and agreed to plead guilty the next day. The master got 15 years, his wife 8, and the Fillipino crewman got 5 years and deportation. Darn we never had the chance to testify; our arrest, documentation, etc. could be studied as a textbook on how to do it right!

Comment

The first time I went to court was a steep learning curve. The defense counsel tore me to shreds on the stand for my formal statement not matching my notebook (By genuine innocent omission, nothing sinister). My evidence was ruled inadmissible by the judge. Rookie mistake but she made me feel so pathetic.

Worst thing was that the case was reasonably strong. The defendant brought his overnight bag with him to court and when the case was dismissed, he asked his counsel how long he was gonna be in jail for! My only comfort was that someone that dumb would no doubt come around again soon enough :-/

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                          Iowa #1603 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They all come back.

If they get away this time we hopefully catch them the next time.......or the next

I rarely cared what happened to a charge after I wrote it. I had done my job, the prosecutor & judge then got to do theirs

Back in the daze when I was a law unabiding citizen... I was a regular customer in one court, well know for driving some rolling wrecks and not having up to date registration, or if I had even bothered transferring the ownership. I got to know the judge pretty well, even getting greeted with 'What did you do this time?' He did his best to cut me a little slack since I always demonstrated remorse.

Well one day I was in a serious rush and in my new wondertruck. I chose to get a little daring, took it off the road for a ways then jumped a curb and came in the back of an exclusive housing tract in the $$ part of town. Doing around 50, dragging a nice tail of dust over the prissy landscaped homes, my truck sneering at the speed bumps. I almost got out to the highway before I got red lighted.

So it was with relief I saw my old nemesis judge and him remarking 'You again?' He looked over the menu... "Fifty in a 25. Twice the limit. Failure to maintain... Hmmm." He looked up at me and remarked, "I live on that street."
                        Last edited by Peanut Butter; 12-04-2017, 06:31 PM.
                        There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading and a few that learn by observation. All the rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Comment

Peanut Butter, I don't believe anything about you. There is no way you passed a background or a psych.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5034 users online. 240 members and 4794 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X