Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your most memorable courtroom moments?

A trooper wrote a summons to an individual for making a U turn at an area which was designated as a 'No Left Turn'. The defendant argued that the sign said no left turn and he had made a U turn, therefore he never failed to obey the highway sign. The judge looked at him and said, "Sir you had to make two left turns in order to make a U turn, you're lucky the trooper didn't write you two summonses." GUILTY!
    Last edited by BringTheVicBack; 05-09-2017, 09:48 PM.

I once had a Judge tell me that the move over law (In TX Either move over a lane or slow 20mph below the speed limit for stationary emergency vehicles) was designed to be a suggestion and was never meant to be enforced. He dismissed that case.

Comment

I was testifying in Federal Court against a guy who had filed a 42 USC1983 action against me due to an altercation in a lock up unit.

The inmate (pro se) was questioning me about the fact that he was on the bottom of a pile of Correctional Officers after being forcefully removed from his segregation cell. I was supervising from behind a Chain Link fence and his face was pressed against said fence BUT he was STRUGGLING and resisting.

Inmate stated " Officer Iowa, isn't it true that you knelt down & put your mace can up to my face and yelled to stop fighting or you would MACE me?

I responded " Yes I did , and if you had not have quit resisting I would have MACED you, but you got smart."

The judge actually giggled in open court. ( He is now the Chief Judge of our US District Court)

Oh yea, the suit was dismissed
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
        I once had a Judge tell me that the move over law (In TX Either move over a lane or slow 20mph below the speed limit for stationary emergency vehicles) was designed to be a suggestion and was never meant to be enforced. He dismissed that case.

What the...

Comment

When I was a deputy sheriff , I was testifying in a DUI jury trial case where I was not the arresting officer but was assisting.

The offender was "well known' in the jurisdiction PLUS I knew him from my time as a Correctional Officer.

Defense attorney asked the arresting deputy if he knew the person he stopped before he ID'd himself & was told no.

When I testified defense attorney made the mistake of asking me the same question. I stated yes I recognized the offender.

Defense attorney then really screwed up and asked me HOW I recognized him.............so I sheepishly told him (and the jury and the judge) That I knew him from the State Penitentiary where he had been doing a previous sentence for DUI

I thought the prosecutor was going to have a seizure...............

Attorney went through the roof since prior criminal history was a prohibited subject in this trial. Judge was smiling as he told the attorney "Counselor, you opened that door and the deputy slammed it shut on your foot"

For some reason I never had an attorney ask me that question again
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

DWI trial recently.
            Guy leaves the bar at 210am, I get four traffic violations in about 15 seconds on him. He admits on camera to having several beers. Red eyes, alcohol smell, all that good stuff. I get 6of6 on hgn, 5 of 8 on wat, 3 of 4 on ols. Although he's not falling over, throwing up drunk, the camera clearly shows him failing the tests. Jury: NOT GUILTY.
            I lost all faith in juries that day. Guy's defense was that he was nervous. One juror commented that he couldn't even do the tests. YES YOU COULD!! If you're sober!

The guy refused to provide a sample of his breath and for whatever reason, my agency doesn't do warrants for misdemeanor dwis. However in Texas, the law states that you're intoxicated if your BAC is above .08 OR you've lost the normal use of your mental or physical faculties. So not having a test result shouldn't have mattered. Apparently that's too much for the jury to comprehend though.

Comment

Another DUI case......................I stopped the vehicle that was using all 5 lanes of a 5 lane city street ..................Unfortunately I was on an assignment & called for another officer to make the arrest and process while I continued on to my first call

We went to jury trial -----------------As the stopping officer I was on the stand for about 5 hours.............the arresting officer for about the same not to mention the state crime lab supervisor who testified to the Intoxalyzer. Offender tested about .286 & like I said he was REALLY intoxicated.

The jury found him not guilty.

About a week later I was in court on another matter...............the judge walked past the "green room" and saw me. He asked me to come back to his chambers...............and called me by my first name (unheard of)

I walked in wondering how big of a chunk he was take out of my rear end....................He offered me a cup of coffee and a chair THEN told me that he had about fell off his chair when the jury came back not guilty. When he questioned the jury they didn't believe the Crime Lab supervisor ( a forensic chemist ) because if he was that "good" why was he employed by the state.

A new question was asked after that about what his salary was..............it was about 3X that of the state Governor

I could go on and on with these....................

Comment

• cbump
                cbump commented
                Editing a comment
                Juries blow my mind.

Originally posted by cbump View Post
              DWI trial recently.
              Guy leaves the bar at 210am, I get four traffic violations in about 15 seconds on him. He admits on camera to having several beers. Red eyes, alcohol smell, all that good stuff. I get 6of6 on hgn, 5 of 8 on wat, 3 of 4 on ols. Although he's not falling over, throwing up drunk, the camera clearly shows him failing the tests. Jury: NOT GUILTY.
              I lost all faith in juries that day. Guy's defense was that he was nervous. One juror commented that he couldn't even do the tests. YES YOU COULD!! If you're sober!

The guy refused to provide a sample of his breath and for whatever reason, my agency doesn't do warrants for misdemeanor dwis. However in Texas, the law states that you're intoxicated if your BAC is above .08 OR you've lost the normal use of your mental or physical faculties. So not having a test result shouldn't have mattered. Apparently that's too much for the jury to comprehend though.
              I was not involved but when in college I observed a trial where the police had a video tape (mind you this was in 1975 BEFORE there were small cameras) of a man paying a "hit man" $5000 as a down payment to "KILL MY WIFE, just KILL HER"
              And the jury found him not guilty . Wife testified that she just didn't believe he could do that. & sat behind him during the entire trial.

The day after the verdict -----------she filed for an uncontested divorce & cleaned him out...........BUT he was not convicted of the crime

In all honesty, most juries really work hard to come to a reasonable verdict...................but a good attorney can really bring out "doubt" and that is all it takes

Comment

Originally posted by cbump View Post
                DWI trial recently.

Just think of all the idiots you deal with every day on the job. Those idiots make it on jury's. All it takes is one tard on a jury for the case to get flushed down the toilet.
                Last edited by Tmg; 05-09-2017, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Had a DUI just a couple years on and her defense was I offered to let her go if she would give me information for somebody on America's Most Wanted. Defense attorney didn't seem happy when I laughed at him on stand.
                  Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

I was only the bailiff for these.
                    1. During a murder trial, our forensic pathologist is testifying. Because of how many stab wounds there were, thr attorneys and judge had agreed to use a body diagram rather than show the photos to the jury. Doc was dexcribing the knife wounds, using the hollow-handled survival knife as a pointer. During cross-examination, the defense attorney asked him "now, doctor, you've testified that the heart had been punctured. How hard would someone need to strike with a knife in order to penetrate the skin, the rib cage, the heart sac and the heart itself?" Doc answered that "it'd take a pretty good blow to get to the heart". As he said thst, he quite forcefully jammed the knife into the witness stand, leaving it quivering in place.

The judge called a recess took a few minutes later, promptly exited to chambers and was doubled over, tears running down his cheeks, laughing his *** off.

2. Traffic court. A guy got stroked for speeding and was having his trial. He called a friend as a witness, as the friend had apparently been in another vehcile following him. The judge asked the friend if he had anything to testify to. The guy started by saying that he'd been on his motorcycle, following the defendant who was on his own motorcycle. At that point, the defendant interrupted and said "no, that was a different one - this was the one I got in my truck." After the judge queried if he had anything that would actually help his case, he changed his plea to guilty.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

In a divorce proceeding involving a billionaire and his ex-wife.

the ex-wife's attorney gets up and states: "Your Honor, we believe my clients ex-husband is clearly hiding money. He no longer occupies their Silicon Valley house and regularly flies in his counsel from Aspen, where we believe he is actually living now. As an example, Your Honor, I do not fly but instead drive up from Beverly Hills for these appearances...."

He drives his "next year" model top of the line Mercedes two door....

At the security screening station at the entrance of the Courthouse and wheelchair bound older man comes in. In the process of searching him, we find a loaded handgun. After the "What the heck" look, I am say "Don't say 'but this isn't my wheelchair' " He was there to kill the Judge hearing his case.
                      Last edited by RGDS; 05-10-2017, 02:43 PM.
                      semper destravit

Comment

Pretty much any appearance where when speaking, the accused begins with ,"Yes I did do it, but you see, what had happened wuz..."

Comment

RGDS.....Had a similar situation. Gentleman in a motorized wheelchair approached our mags to be screened. The Officer found a .25 auto under his left hand. He was a gentleman throughout the arrest process and when brought before the arraignment judge thanked us for our courtesy and told the judge he should feel safe due to the thorough job we did. Seems he regularly visited the United Nations and their security never found his piece.

Comment

The DA and I watched a defendant commit two felonies in court but she declined to prosecute because she just wanted him off her docket.

Sovereign was convicted at trial and ordered into custody, and resisted... fighting three of us in the courtroom. On video. DA dismissed charges because... again... she didn't want to deal with it.
                            Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-11-2017, 06:14 PM.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5729 users online. 392 members and 5337 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X