300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this?

I just remembered this now and figured this was the perfect place to comment on it. Here is a little story, let me know what you think. I was driving through Nebraska on an interstate headed back to NY after a cross country trip. I get pulled over by a Nebraska State Trooper for 11 over. I'm thinking ok this will go quick I wasn't even going that fast. Trooper walks up to my truck and asks me to get out of the vehicle. Right away bells and whistles are going off. In New York if ask someone to get out of their vehicle something is awry and further investigation is about to take place. He asks me to follow him back to his cruiser. He then asks me to sit in his front passenger seat! Does he already somehow know I'm on the job? Turns out no, he had zero idea who I was and this is their protocol. Everyone they come in contact with they bring back to their patrol vehicle in the front seat with them. No cursory pat down, no questions, just come sit with me as I run your tags and CID. I was absolutely mind boggled at this practice. His explanation was now I have you on my turf and I can keep an eye on you. I've always thought that if you approach on the passenger side in a highway situation and never pass the B-pilar in a traffic stop you are at the advantage. The chances of getting struck by a vehicle are less. The only downside of this practice is you must reach into the interior of the vehicle to grab their paperwork. He is telling me how Nebraska needs more troopers and I should consider signing up. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me to this tactic. I edited this to remove certain things I said that were Police sensitive or could give the bad element ideas but you get the gist.
    Last edited by File1; 01-24-2017, 11:13 PM.

I'm not defending his tactics as they don't make a lot of sense to me. However, sometimes you have to dig a lot deeper into the reasoning behind procedures that seem inherently unsafe.

Because this is an open board I won't go into specifics, but for years my agency did something as a matter of official SOP that seemed inherently unsafe from a commonly held officer safety point of view.. When other agencies saw us do it, they cringed and made fun of us for being idiots.

What they didn't understand was, when we engaged in this particular activity we faced two separate risks to our lives, one of which was statistically 100 times greater than the other. Tactically, we were unable to defend against both risks simultaneously, so we defended against the greater risk, which forced us to remain vulnerable to the lesser risk. Because of our unique duties, other agencies were unaware of this greater risk we faced and felt we were ignoring officer safety when such was not the case.

We have since modified the practice and many agencies have adopted our new method but for different reasons and they still do not understand this additional risk our officers face. I wish I could go into more specifics, but because this is an open board it would be inappropriate.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

So maybe the reasoning behind this is actually really ingenious and I'm not seeing it. I agree that this wasn't just put into practice for no reason. I just wish I had a better understanding of the reasoning. L-1 you are right this is an open forum even though it's supposed to be LEO only maybe I should edit my post some.

Comment

There actually is a justification for the front seat tactic. I won't go into it here, and I disagree with it, but one does exist.
        ​​​​​​
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
          There actually is a justification for the front seat tactic. I won't go into it here, and I disagree with it, but one does exist.
          ​​​​​​
          I did not realize how unsecured this forum was I understand.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11601 users online. 466 members and 11135 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X