300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I give... ice cleats?

This past 4 day week I've slipped and fallen on ice hidden under snow 3 out of 4 days... and twice the previous week. The joke is now "wait for Tank to find the ice..."

I've also almost fallen walking on people's hardwood floors with snow in my boot soles.

One of our animal control sergeants broke her arm recently by slipping during a call she was working.

So.

What, if anything, do you people in magic elf-box land use to prevent this?

The problem I'm seeing is that if I wear a steel strap on cleat I have to take time to put them on, and there may be issues walking into people's houses with wood floors and the like.

Ideas?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Dunno. Haven't had a problem with walking on ice. Must be my magical soles. :-D
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

https://www.yaktrax.com/

Yaktrax are pretty good. They won't chew up wood floors but are slippery on tile or polished concrete. They're easy to put on and take off.

Katoola Microspikes are more aggressive and expensive.

Comment

Don't get out of the car...rook.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Someone just started making a special rubber compound for this winter. I can not remember which boot company. They may not make an all black boot but its worth a try. Im guessing a portion of the sole is very soft to maintain traction on ice. Looks like Merrell makes something. No telling if it will fit into acceptable for your uniform of the day though.
          Last edited by File1; 01-08-2017, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Yak traks are great a pair is like $25. Saved me last year on the icey interatate working crashes. Easy to slip on over your boot.
            Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Do a Google on "Duty Boots for Ice".
              There are hundreds of concepts and articles on the topic.
              Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
              Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

I have about six pair of Bates duty boots in service right now & I just checked the soles. There really is a difference between the different editions. I've actually changed what I'll be wearing tomorrow after checking them all out.
                The pair I was using ( Zero-Mass boots ) appear to have a summer tread. Switching to a pair of GX because they have sipes like my Blizzak snowtires.
                Who knows Tank ..... Your post may have prevented me from taking a header ....... Thanks.
                Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  Don't get out of the car...rook.
                  The only worse, or as bad, as not getting out of the car for an in-progress fight when the Sheriff himself is your backup is busting your @zz on your way down the driveway and having the Sheriff himself look down at you and say: "Wow. Are you all right?"
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Look at Merrell they actually use a proprietary compound to prevent slipping. I've found that bates boots are absolute trash. I actually wear Nike acg boots and while some would say that's what criminals wear well I don't care. They are light, comfortable, waterproof, and use quality rubber compound in the soles. They also shine up great. I always know when I'm at an alarm call with someone wearing Bates boots when it's cold it sounds like they are wearing clogs. The rubber compound bates uses becomes absolutely rock hard when the temperature drops. Unfortunately most of the companies making boots specifically for law enforcement are full of gimmicks and no real quality. I'm not saying Nike makes great boots compared to say Asolo, Salewa, Solomon, or Lowe but they fit the bill for me and have lasted. Sounds like with the remote area you work in the last thing I would be looking at are duty boots designed for everyday duty patrol. Your life could depend on you not busting your ***. Personally I would get yak traks for really snotty sheer ice conditions and try out something like the merells for everyday wear in the winter season.

Comment

Also a little tip I've always used is walk in the snow. Every call I get out at I'll walk up the side of the driveway if there is existing snow. It's like walking on tar paper as opposed to everyone doing the penguin walk up and down the driveway.

Comment

I've found that bates boots are absolute trash
                        I haven't looked at that stuff in a decade, but I just remembered I have a pair of Cochran Matterhorn's in my Army duffel bag. I dug those out and will try them next week.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

the only worse, or as bad, as not getting out of the car for an in-progress fight when the sheriff himself is your backup is busting your @zz on your way down the driveway and having the sheriff himself look down at you and say: "wow. Are you all right?"
                          btdt.
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by File1 View Post
                            Someone just started making a special rubber compound for this winter.
                            That would be the Vibram Arctic Grip sole. Sounds like the tech that's been available for snow tires for a few years.

Comment

I always used buckle on ice cleats. Fast to put on and remove + cheap too.
                              http://www.thewarmingstore.com/ice-cleat-crampon.html
                              Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                              In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                              Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                              Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9399 users online. 520 members and 8879 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X