Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being the only Aggressive officer on your squad?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being the only Aggressive officer on your squad?

I've been an officer on night shift for about six months now. I really enjoy my job and i'm glad I chose to be a police officer. I understand every police officer is different. Some like to run a lot of traffic, some like to write parking tickets and others don't do anything proactive and only respond to their calls. On my beat there have numerous robberies, shootings and B&E's. My beat partners only want to respond to calls and sit back for the remainder of their shift. These are veteran officers ranging from 3 years to 6 years of service. I'd rather use my free time looking for stuff to get into. I initiate the most traffic stops on my shift. I've noticed my fellow beat partners expressing displeasure when they have to back me up on traffic stops. About a week ago I was set to get off in about an hour when I noticed a car make a traffic infraction. I made the traffic stop and the driver admitted he had been drinking. My beat partner responded to back me up as I did field sobriety. He passed field sobriety and we had a friend pick him up. Anyways the next day in roll call my beat partners kept mocking me because I tried to get a DUI minutes before I was set to be off and tied up another unit in the process. Should I scale it back? I don't want to come off as stubborn.
    Last edited by BringTheVicBack; 01-06-2017, 03:08 AM.

I will tell you that where I work, Admin will track that activity looking to write you up for excessive OT.

Sometimes, people are slugs because Admin is oppressive.
    semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
      I will tell you that where I work, Admin will track that activity looking to write you up for excessive OT.

Sometimes, people are slugs because Admin is oppressive.
      Can Admin really write you up for excessive OT if it's all warranted? I know every department is different in dealings with such matters, but I can't imagine they can make a legitimate case for telling you not to do your job for the last hour or so. I guess it's like an unwritten rule in baseball? I haven't noticed any oppression from admin, but maybe it's because i'm still a boot.

Comment

Originally posted by BringTheVicBack View Post
        Can Admin really write you up for excessive OT if it's all warranted?
        In much of the modern law enforcement software there is a tracking mechanism. It looks for patterns such as 'churning' end of watch activity and the interpretation is very subjective. If you are busy, busy, busy the entire shift, you are probably okay, but if the analysis shows that you start stalking dui activity in the last hour of your tour, YES, you can get smoked for it.

I'd be more worried about being labeled 'that guy' by your co-workers and supervisors. Pick your battles; don't let this discourage you from being a proactive officer, but focus on the actual problems and needs of your community. When you went through FTO, your trainer likely went over Location Oriented vs Suspect Oriented patrol strategies. Be where the problems are and know who your bad guys are. If you are out flagging every vehicle with a burned out license plate light, you may be 'that guy',

There is an analogy about two bulls, one old bull and one young bull sitting up on a hill looking at the cows below. The young bull wanted to run down the hill and mate with one of the cows. The old bull told him they should walk down the hill and mate with all of the cows.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Can Admin really write you up for excessive OT if it's all warranted? I know every department is different in dealings with such matters, but I can't imagine they can make a legitimate case for telling you not to do your job for the last hour or so. I guess it's like an unwritten rule in baseball? I haven't noticed any oppression from admin, but maybe it's because i'm still a boot.
          Yes. Yes the can and they will. Some people promote just to get power and will inflict said power on the entire department. It can get so bad that, if this person is calling for emergency back up, no one will come.

Now, this one hyper example of admin gone ISIS does not explain why most slugs are slugs and if your department was like this, you would have already seen the signs.

Catching DUIs is an important part of Patrol (for certain shifts). Admin does have software that will monitor all your activity. Now, if you make a habit of pulling over DUIs an hour before your shift ends..... you better get your DUI pin because that's is the only way your team will leave you alone. Otherwise they will think you are trying to milk OT.

Talk to your sergeant. If you are being proactive to be proactive keep track of your time. Know now that your team will r*** you and the spectre of Admin looms. If the sarge knows what you are trying to do, the Admin fears will mostly go away. Your team may not stop until you get your DUI pin and sadly, not even then.

*****the word r@zz is blocked? That's like a PG or even G rated word.
          semper destravit

Comment

They can put you on a desk or make you sit on a prisoner in a hospital so you cannot arrest anyone. These tactics have been commonly used on my job in the past to reduce overtime. If they don't want to pay you, they will find a way to screw with you and make you miserable if you make arrests that they have to pay OT for. After a while you just say to hell with it and come in do your shift and go home. Its not your life, its not your wife, its just a job.
            Last edited by SHU; 01-06-2017, 01:27 PM. Reason: My tapeworm told me too.

Comment

You don't want to **** your CO's or beat partners off. You don't want to be known as "that" guy.

Comment

If you have been on for 6 months, then yeah its expected for you to be the super active guy on the squad, if you were not very pro-active with 6 months on the job I would be worried. However as time goes on and you get more experience under your belt, perspective starts to come into play. Eventually you may realize that regardless of how many people you lock-up for whatever reason, are you actually changing anything? If your hooking up the guy responsible for all the Burglaries on your beat then yes absoultely you are solving a problem, but if you are just locking up random traffic or misd warrants then no your not changing anything.

You also have to think about the current climate of L.E. in America. Many officers now realize that we are only one bad field contact away from making a national headline for simply doing your job, so many of us may choose to slow down on how proactive we are. Also you have to take into consideration the "politics" of your squad. If your working nights and everyone else on the squad is taking a break between 0300-0600 and you are the only one out making traffic stops especially right before EOW, that could be viewed as a problem by your squad mates. If your beat partner is posted up somewhere at 0500 and you are constantly calling off on traffic stops, your beat partner will probably get annoyed and end up having a chat with you.

Another angle, that you many not even have experienced yet is getting screwed over by the dept. Admin. Many officers have gotten letters or suspensions for doing what they thought was the right thing or by forgetting to do something mundane like a certain piece of paperwork for an incident. Guys start realizing that they avoid department conflict and still collect a pay check regardless if they are slugs or proactive. Just my thoughts
                Last edited by lpstopper; 01-06-2017, 06:51 PM.
                "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
                  If you have been on for 6 months, then yeah its expected for you to be the super active guy on the squad, if you were not very pro-active with 6 months on the job I would be worried. However as time goes on and you get more experience under your belt, perspective starts to come into play. Eventually you may realize that regardless of how many people you lock-up for whatever reason, are you actually changing anything? If your hooking up the guy responsible for all the Burglaries on your beat then yes absoultely you are solving a problem, but if you are just locking up random traffic or misd warrants then no your not changing anything.

You also have to think about the current climate of L.E. in America. Many officers now realize that we are only one bad field contact away from making a national headline for simply doing your job, so many of us may choose to slow down on how proactive we are. Also you have to take into consideration the "politics" of your squad. If your working nights and everyone else on the squad is taking a break between 0300-0600 and you are the only one out making traffic stops especially right before EOW, that could be viewed as a problem by your squad mates. If your beat partner is posted up somewhere at 0500 and you are constantly calling off on traffic stops, your beat partner will probably get annoyed and end up having a chat with you.

Another angle, that you many not even have experienced yet is getting screwed over by the dept. Admin. Many officers have gotten letters or suspensions for doing what they thought was the right thing or by forgetting to do something mundane like a certain piece of paperwork for an incident. Guys start realizing that they avoid department conflict and still collect a pay check regardless if they are slugs or proactive. Just my thoughts
                  The last angle makes sense to me. Why would I do more work if i'm going to make the same amount of money as the guy who's putting himself at risk both physically and administratively. I guess I never thought of it in that perspective.

Comment

Guys that generate a lot of end of watch activity are often looked at as overtime whores. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. A friend recently retired who was know for initiating a lot of end of watch activity, along with writing lots of citations and making many DUI arrests, both of which generated court OT. After he left, his station commander received a commendation for a major reduction in overtime. She couldn't understand what she had done until she realized my friend retired.

I suspect the big question amoung your peers is, are you making quality stops, or are you initiating a lot of chicken sh*t pretext stops in the hope that even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut? If it's the latter, I can see why they are annoyed with you.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      Guys that generate a lot of end of watch activity are often looked at as overtime whores. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. A friend recently retired who was know for initiating a lot of end of watch activity, along with writing lots of citations and making many DUI arrests, both of which generated court OT. After he left, his station commander received a commendation for a major reduction in overtime. She couldn't understand what she had done until she realized my friend retired.

I suspect the big question amoung your peers is, are you making quality stops, or are you initiating a lot of chicken sh*t pretext stops in the hope that even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut? If it's the latter, I can see why they are annoyed with you.

It seems like my beat partners aren't upset about the overtime, they're more upset with timing and having to occasionally back me up on work. I'm in a bind because I don't want command staff to think i'm a slug nor do I want my beat partners to think i'm doing too much and need to dial it back.

Comment

You seem to have rookie-itis . Everyone else is at fault. Those guys with 3-6 years on aren't "vets", they're rookies too.

YOU need to learn how to work as part of a TEAM. THINK before you ACT.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

My squad and I work as a team, but I do normally get the most tickets on my shift
                          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                          Department of the Army Police Officer (0083-06)

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                            In much of the modern law enforcement software there is a tracking mechanism. It looks for patterns such as 'churning' end of watch activity and the interpretation is very subjective. If you are busy, busy, busy the entire shift, you are probably okay, but if the analysis shows that you start stalking dui activity in the last hour of your tour, YES, you can get smoked for it.

I'd be more worried about being labeled 'that guy' by your co-workers and supervisors. Pick your battles; don't let this discourage you from being a proactive officer, but focus on the actual problems and needs of your community. When you went through FTO, your trainer likely went over Location Oriented vs Suspect Oriented patrol strategies. Be where the problems are and know who your bad guys are. If you are out flagging every vehicle with a burned out license plate light, you may be 'that guy',

There is an analogy about two bulls, one old bull and one young bull sitting up on a hill looking at the cows below. The young bull wanted to run down the hill and mate with one of the cows. The old bull told him they should walk down the hill and mate with all of the cows.

Good 'ole "Bob Hodges" (Robert Duvall) from the movie "Colors".
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

It seems like my beat partners aren't upset about the overtime, they're more upset with timing and having to occasionally back me up on work. I'm in a bind because I don't want command staff to think i'm a slug nor do I want my beat partners to think i'm doing too much and need to dial it back.
                              OK, let's work with that.

If you are constantly initiating end of watch activity that results in your working OT, and drags your coworkers into involuntarily working OT as well, it doesn't matter what your motives are, to them, you are an overtime whore.

Now, let's look at your stats. Are your arrests, traffic cites, crime reports taken, and self initiated activity within the average for your watch? Remember, an average is just that, an average. Some people produce a little more than others, some produce a little less, giving you an average. In addition, some people have good months, some have bad. I only gave one of my people grief when their productivity consistently fell 15 to 20% below average for three months in a row.

If you are consistently running more than 15% above average, as your supervisor or manager, the first thing I would do is start looking at the quality of your stops and the quality of your arrests. I'd want to know if your really have an eye for catching crooks or if (as I said before) your are just making a bunch of humbug stops in the hope of being a blind squirrel who occasionally finds a nut. If you are the latter, my greatest worry would be the damage you are doing to public perception of the police. We try to do quality police work and not annoy the public with chicken sh*t fishing expeditions.

When I first started I was a go getter who jumped on anything that moved. I resented the older officers who just kind of sat back and did little. The laughed at me and I thought of them as slugs. It took me a while to learn that just because something moved, didn't mean there was criminality involved. Eventually, I learned to see the signs of who was a bad guy that needed to be stopped and who wasn't. My level of self initiated activity dropped but my ratio of actually finding crooks versus coming up cold increased tremendously. All of a sudden I realized I had become one of the "old guys" and that they really weren't slugs. Instead, they just knew how watch, look, sort the crooks from the good folks and use their time more productively.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11151 users online. 510 members and 10641 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X