300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required equipment for patrol

Hey guys. I graduated from the academy two weeks ago and will be beginning patrol training in about 2.5 weeks. My question is this: can someone please provide a thorough list of what the main things are that I NEED for patrol training and some things I don't necessarily need but should definitely get?

Trying to be as prepared as I can be.

Thank you.

This is kind of an agency specific question and your supervisor and / or FTO should be able to provide you with a comprehensive list. Your agency may require a certain type of leather gear, a minimum level of retention on your holster, etc. You may get a hundred different answers as far as what you need to write with, firearm accessories and lots of other tacti-cool swag. Generally speaking, you need a really good flashlight and undergarments to keep you cool / warm / comfortable.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
      This is kind of an agency specific question and your supervisor and / or FTO should be able to provide you with a comprehensive list. Your agency may require a certain type of leather gear, a minimum level of retention on your holster, etc. You may get a hundred different answers as far as what you need to write with, firearm accessories and lots of other tacti-cool swag. Generally speaking, you need a really good flashlight and undergarments to keep you cool / warm / comfortable.

+1

Plus, you'll be tweaking your "required" gear throughout your career as unusual situations arise.

Comment

They should be issuing you what they want you to have in advance so you will have time to make any necessary adaptations. When I started, I got some hand-me-down uniforms and needed to get them altered. So if you haven't gotten any gear yet, I would contact someone at the station to ask when you need to have them issued.

I would have a good flashlight with you in case there is only one in the patrol vehicle because that will belong to the FTO. If you are only issued one set of handcuffs, then an extra set may come in handy because you will need them the rest of the time you are on patrol. Aside from that, bring your full attention. You will figure out what gear will work best for you as you go along.

Comment

Hard to say considering we don't know what you have... But assuming you're issued all your duty gear including a flashlight I would add a knife of some sort, click type gel pen, clip board, backpack or patrol bag, some kind of organizer for papers ( I use the accordion style), small pocket style notepads for pocket and a map of where you'll be working if not issued.
          In Valor there is hope

Comment

I already have all my duty gear. I had that from day 1 in the academy. I think as far as gear on my person goes I have most of what I need. I was more referring to stuff for the car. I'm sorry I didn't specify. So like: posse box, clipboards, report forms, etc....

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

you'll never have everything you'll NEED...the list is neverending. .you may only "need" it once or twice a year. Your FTO will advise the day to day stuff
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Medical type gloves and a pouch for them (on your belt, not in the car!). Too much nasty **** out there to be without them.

If you buy them yourself, get good, quality ones, don't cheap out on a valuable piece of safety equipment.
                My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Whenever I need something I don't have I add it to the car. I had one dog leash, recently added a second one. Guess why?

A lot depends on where you work.

For where I work I have: a week's emergency food and water, six sets of flex cuffs, two spare handcuffs, leg irons, belly chain, rifle plate vest, shotgun, spare mags and ammo, spike strip, gun cleaning kit, range bag (earmuffs, eyepro, etc), two wool blankets, 8x6 canvas tarp, an overnight bag, TP, hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, baby wipes, a spare uniform, a shovel, bolt cutters, a Haligan tool, trauma kit, tow strap, jumper cables, bottle jack, spare flashlight, two reflective vests, various evidence bags, caution tape, evidence tape, various presumptive test kits, two boxes of vinyl gloves, digital camera, folding crate, file box with various forms, four clip boards, citation clip board/box, extra pens, CRS blue book, CRS cheat books, traffic folder with traffic cheat sheet and court calendar, Title 33 folder with recreation, wildlife and environmental violations cheat sheet, GPS, firemap binder, road map, patrol bag (snacks, ibuprofen, cold meds, extra business cards, current case files, pens, multitool, spare belt keepers, spare reading glasses, back scratcher, extra batteries, etc), Sirus XM receiver, gloves, watch cap, neck gaiter, two patrol jackets, two leashes and a choke collar, two pair of binoculars, radar gun, tuning forks, charging cables for personal and work phones, work cell phone, travel mug, tiedown strap, bungie cords, three milk crates and two plastic bins to hold everything...

...that's all can think of.

Do you need all of that? Maybe not, but you may need stuff I don't.
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-01-2017, 08:04 PM.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                    Whenever I need something I don't have I add it to the car. I had one dog leash, recently added a second one. Guess why?
                    With that amazing list, you're probably going to need to add a second squad car. Sounds like you are really prepared and I need to elevate my game.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                      With that amazing list, you're probably going to need to add a second squad car. Sounds like you are really prepared and I need to elevate my game.
                      I'm often in the exact geometric center of nowhere, with backup possibly an hour away even running code. Our county is the size of Delaware, 2200 square miles, usually with only four patrol deputies on duty. If I don't have it nobody is bringing me one.

Thank the gods for the Chevy Tahoe.

ETA: Spray paint so I can mark and move crashes if State has an extended ETA.
                      Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-01-2017, 09:05 PM.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

to add to tank's list, eye drops, spare change in case the drink machine won't take dollars, pouch for extra forms, oh... years ago I bought a piece of heat-resistant colored paper (used for stage lights) that I put in the interior dome light cover that changed the color to blue, it softened the light intensity and allowed me to still be able to see what I was writing clearly and still see outside the vehicle without being blinded.

Depending on how big your agency is and how soon your crime scene techs can get to a major crime scene, get some index cards and a marker pen. Fold them in half long ways and place them on the ground so they are in the shape of a tent. Use them to label evidence (1-2-3...). Survey flags work well too on soft ground surfaces especially during windy conditions otherwise index cards may blow away. Measuring tape, stapler, lysol spray, a large santi-pad that nasty people can sit on and you won't have to clean the seat after them.......................I'm thinkin'

Comment

Some of what you carry will change depending on your assignment. Some things I found consistently useful:
                          • An accordion folder with several copies of every report form your agency uses. I later added PDF copies on a USB drive. A USB drive will also be useful for capturing copies of video and other electronic evidence.
                          • Surgical clamp. A 5-inch model will fit in your shirt pocket. Good for unjaming printers, picking up small or yucky objects. You might even save a live by clamping a severed artery.
                          • Personal fingerprint brush. The last guy to use the one in the car's fingerprint kit tried to dust a wet or greasy surface.
                          • Duct tape.
                          • 6 feet of nylon rope. Works as a dog leash, a hobble for prisoners, ties doors open or shut.
                          • Spyderco Endura folding knife. A good, solid working knife that can be opened and closed with one hand.
                          • Convex mirror, the kind you can get for a couple bucks at the auto parts store. The 3" size fits in a shirt pocket and lets you peek around corners when doing building searches.
                          • Work gloves. Because you don't don't want to change a tire in the rain wearing your tacticool gloves.
                          • Lumber crayon for marking up the roadway at collision scenes. Crayons work on wet pavement.

Comment

My agency issued me everything I would need (base police), but I did acquire some extras in case
                            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                            Department of the Army Police Officer (0083-06)

Richland County Sheriff's Department:
                            7/28/2017- App submitted
                            8/7/2017- PAT and Poly:

SC Dept of Corrections Lieutenant:
                            8/8/2017: Interview

Comment

If you're talking about carrying n your person, depending on how many pockets you have, knives, small penlight flashlights, extra mag, stretch tourniquet. Whatever is in your car may still be there when the defecation hits the oscillation.
                              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11350 users online. 466 members and 10884 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X